The Big Picture: Monster's Movie

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
HO. LY. SHIT. I KNEW that "monster that eats metal" movie sounded familiar! I remember watching Galgameth when I was a kid.

And now I know the full story behind it. Great episode as always, Bob.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
So now I gotta ask, when are we gonna see the Hollywood version of this story? I can see it done as a genuinely scary psychological horror flick, or as a really over the top farce.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Maybe it's just my tendency to focus on minor details, but what caught my ear was that the kidnapped director was IMPRISONED FOR 5 YEARS BEFORE ANYONE EVEN TOLD HIM WHY HE WAS THERE! I mean, I can kinda understand kidnapping someone to make movies for you, but I can't understand KIDNAPPING HIM AND THEN FORGETTING ABOUT HIM FOR FIVE FUCKING YEARS!

edgecult

May 4, 2011
I heard about this whole Godzilla knock off story somewhere else along with a whole bunch of other things I'll list here.

If I remember right Kim was also big on Basketball too. A big Jordan fan. I think someone that went over and visited him actually gave him a signed basketball.. that kim built a museum to put the ball in. He also might of actually studied to be the bond villain he was as he was actually a Big Bond movie fan too. (also Daffy duck, showing where the other half of his psychosis came from) He also imported over 700k worth of congac a year. Fun facts for the day.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Well, in fairness to Kim Jong nutbag, it's not like Korea hadn't tried to knock off Godzilla in the past. I've seen Yongory

Andre Nilsson

May 31, 2011
This is not the first time I heard of this film. it is the first time I herd it´s name and what the plot is (I herd it on a comedy panel show where they called it a Communist version of Godzilla). well that man was mad (and I don´t know anything about his son but I do not like him)

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
The weirdest part for me, he made them re-marry. It feels like Kim Jong was a fan-boy and was devastated when they broke up or something, hell, this feels like that Steven King novel.

In fact this feels like one of those movies "Based on a true story" which someone would watch and know was clearly not the case, only this it would be.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well you don't get much stranger than that.
TheEnglishman said:
The weirdest part for me, he made them re-marry. It feels like Kim Jong was a fan-boy and was devastated when they broke up or something, hell, this feels like that Steven King novel
Actually I think there was a Stephen King novel like that. I think it was called "Misery" except it was a novelist not a film director.
Hmm, life imitates art.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I heard about this shortly after Kim Jong Il's death. Also, apparently Kim's first words to the man he had kidnapped when they finally met were "What do you think of my physique? Short as a Goblin's turd aren't I?"

I love this guy! xD

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
After he made High Noon at Mega Mountain.. they should have sent him back to North Korea.

And, say what you want about Kim, but the man knows how to keep his country under foot. No wonder the US is stealing pages from his play-book. Wonder how long till the president starts claiming divine right.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Bob, have I told you recently how much I love you? Seriously. I used to think I had some pretty good film stories I could bust out at parties, but since you made this show, those stories have more than doubled.

Sometimes you talk about stuff I already know (which makes me feel smart) but learning new stuff about film, comics and TV from you almost every week is something I really enjoy.

Keep up the good work.

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
As a connoisseur of Kim the crazy its nice to see Bob talk about him; that man was so utterly insane you could probably make the entire show about him without struggling for material,hell this story is actually tame by Kim's standards, itd be good to see a North Korea episode sometime as that country is tragically overlooked considering the s*** going down there.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I always suspected Kim was a bit thick, but missing the obvious symbolism in having the monster that by his own demand represented Communism turn on the people it fought to save? That's just epically stupid. Sang-oh himself was probably baffled that the guy failed to pick up on that, and incredibly relieved.

Tohron

Apr 3, 2010
Funny, I actually read about this story earlier shortly after Kim Jong Il died - funny that the director would be posthumously awarded a cultural medal when many politicians opposed his work prior to his kidnapping.