The Big Picture: Monster's Movie

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
Why the hell does this guy not have a movie based on his life? It has spy kidnapings, a devorced husband and wife getting back together, an crazy tyranical dictator, and fucking Godzilla! then it ends when the guy and his wife flee to the US after insulting the dictator in his own movie.
You couldn't write a more perfect script. The only problem with the movie is that the executives would demand that you replace the south korean hero with a white American. but if you could find a director to stand up to them you could even solve that problem.

lastoflancas

Aug 17, 2009
Just to let you guys know. This story is pretty old in East Asian countries.

FYI, the original Bulgasari (not Pulgasari) story is known in both Koreas, not North alone, and is a bit different from the movie (obviously):

1) The King was not mad with power. He was just oppressing Buddhism and its practice.

2) It's a Buddhist monk who gives a doll to the peasant couple for hiding the monk in their house, not father to daughter.

3) The Bulgasari can be killed by setting it on fire (which the people did, when the nation ran out of iron to feed it)

4) The shape of Bulgasari (while highly debated) is closer to that of a minotaur (or a huge bull) than Godzilla.

5) The King was not overthrown, and gave the peasant couple a huge reward for killing the monster, and also the Buddhism was practiced freely, etc.

Still, I was disappoint that the director made those 3 Ninjas movies (shudders).

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah I knew about this story, think I read about it on Cracked.com, but personally while others find it interesting I just find it incredibly sad. Kidnapped off the streets and spent 5 years in prison before being brought out? And how many years was he pressed into service before escaping with his wife? And all because some spoiled brat dictator liked his work? Relic's like Kim Jon Il should not exist in this world anymore.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
Monster's Movie

A movie produced by a real-life supervillain.

Watch Video
You forgot to mention that Kim LOVED James Bond movie, even though he was more cartoonishly even then half of the bad guys in those films.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
http://www.theonion.com/articles/kim-jongun-privately-doubting-hes-crazy-enough-to,18374/

I thought this was relevant.

Good stuff.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
ummm... WTF? i mean good episode, i like Moviebob's storytime episodes, just Kim Jong Il kidnapped a movie director to make movies for him? I knew he liked movies and stuff, and i heard he made a few but i never knew he kidnapped and then forced a guy to make them.

God that guy was crazy... Well his son is crazier so i look forward to little kim's dictatorial antics. He should kidnap Tim Burton, that would be hilarious.

Eabus

Poker of Badgers
Apr 15, 2009
The "theoretically interesting" interpretation of this movie that Bob has reminds me of the play by H. Leivick, Golem, in the Stalinist era Yiddish theater in Russia. This play involves a classical folklore monster, the golem, being animated to protect a prosecuted group of people who he eventually turns on. This was also presumably a satire of the Communist regime in Russia as a noble experiment that failed miserably. This satire went over the heads of the censors was was thereby able to send an anticommunist message inside a communist nation. Just thought it was an interesting parallel.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Strain42 said:
Bob, have I told you recently how much I love you? Seriously. I used to think I had some pretty good film stories I could bust out at parties, but since you made this show, those stories have more than doubled.

Sometimes you talk about stuff I already know (which makes me feel smart) but learning new stuff about film, comics and TV from you almost every week is something I really enjoy.

Keep up the good work.
Why not just read wikipedia or cracked? You'll get the exact same info, but with more accuracy (wiki) or funnier (cracked)?
Because neither of those are as entertaining (imo of course)

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
this story is so wierd and intresting I hope someone makes a movie based on it

I mean come on guy and ex are kidnapped and force to make a monster movie but the guy secretly gets revenge with subliminal stuff and escapes..
sounds like a good drama/action movie to me

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I've heard that story before but it's worth it to stop and listen every time. I love how weird reality can be.
Anyone ever think it would be an awesome idea to make this story into a movie?

Sperium 3000

Mar 16, 2009
And there's why I prefer fiction over reality. You expect fiction the be tripping balls weird. When reality starts tripping, it's always a shock.