The Big Picture: MovieBob's Most Anticipated Movies of 2012

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
i feel ashamed by the fact i didnt know about half of these films... :(
also you forgot the best thing about "brave" EVERYONE HAS A SCOTISH ACCENT!!! XD im going to have fun with this one :)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I believe Prometheus, The Avengers and The Hobbit are going to be my must-see movies this year. I might check out the Brave movie as well just because of beautiful animation and and a potentially interesting main character.

As for the Dark Knight Rises i, like so many other apparently, had completely forgotten about it until it was mentioned at the end. The trailer wasn't all that good and Bane really doesn't look like he'll be much of interest (so nothing new there, i guess). But yeah, i too hope i'm wrong about my feelings towards it 'cause the last two have definitely been very interesting and i'd hate to see the trilogy fall down so hard right at the end (The Dark Knight might just have set out expectations too high)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Ruwrak said:
Stephen Spielburg goes off to make a movie about Good ol honest Abe?

... I'll say it now, there will be aliens.
Why? Because he does it to nearly all his movies. (Ill just refer to indiana jones and you'll know what I mean.)
It wasn't John Wilkes Booth that assassinated the president... it was the Martians!

Not entirely sure that'll fly, but it would certainly make the scenes of adrenaline-fueled diplomacy a lot more interesting. Plus the final scene in which the president is shot could now be with a space laser exploding the theater and at the end Lincoln's hat comes slowly falling down from the sky and landing in an up-right position in front of the burning theater and gradually fading screams of people running away.

Oh yeah ***Spoiler alert*** Lincoln dies at the end.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Dude, you leaving off the Dark Knight isnt surprising, it hasn't been surprising ever since the Dark Knight was really really popular (with the sort of people you hate films being popular with. Some people who liked that film liked..guns..and cars... and as you tell us every time a Fast and Furious style film comes out, that makes them bad people)and you switched sides from telling us how awesome it was.

Some people hate other people liking their stuff :D

You were already called out on the whole 'gritty comic book movie' thing being a pretty much in your face untruth a few weeks ago, so I won't go there either :)

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
I've been wanting to see Iron Sky for like 2 years now, and now I want to see Wreck-It Ralph just because of the interesting premise.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
"Abraham f***ing Lincoln"- I don't usually laugh at these videos, but that one made me chuckle considerably.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Cute to see everyone going "WHAHUUUUHHHH FINLAND YOU SAY????" as if this was the first time ever that someone in Finland made a movie.

Also if the humor in Iron Sky is anything like Star Wreck it just might be way too Finnish for some, which would explain the reason for everyone's reaction.

I just came full circle on my own post, people.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
lastoflancas said:
5) There are many people who are arguing that the Prometheus is not prequel for Alien,
Wait?! Who on earth?!?

<youtube=93m_D8Q14wU&feature=related>

Anyway, I've completely missed the buzz for Prometheus. Sometime a couple of years ago I filed it away in will stink, ignore after reading the words Alien Prequel and Ridley Scott's brother.

Now it's nearly here, actual factual Ridley Scott has done it and it suddenly looks damned convincing. My goodness... not sure I'm brave enough to watch it.

jkvoller

Dec 18, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
jkvoller said:
Shadowstar38 said:
The problem with the new Batman is that once you've done the Joker, you got nowhere to go. Same if they put Doomsday in a superman film.

The recent Marvel films have been the only thing to get me to the theater as of late so Avengers is my number one. That Jamie Fox movie does intrigue me though.
What about Darkseid.

Anyone who calls Bane boring in the comics is off by a long shot. Apart from being one of the only villains to discover Batmans identity, Bane is also a master tactitian as well as being a much more physical presence than Batman is and that's what makes Bane interesting. He's Batman on steriods.

It makes me a sad panda when people only think of Bane as the the suck ass zombie/remote controlled muscle that he was in Batman and Robin
I Know about how awesome Bane is, but the Film doesnt seem like its pulling it off well. While the comic book version looks like he could be a problem, Nolan's version is just some guy in a dumb mask.
I probably should have clarified that I wasn't having a go at you. I was just saying that anybody who thinks that Bane is boring or uninteresting should go back and read the comics again. I know what you mean with Nolan's Bane and I'm hoping that there is some sort of performance enhancing drug that Bane takes throughout the course of the film.

I just quoted you because of the Doomsday comment as I feel that Darkseid poses a greater threat than Doomsday does

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Pretty interesting list and I would say I'm looking forward to most of those flicks too.

I also have a similar expectation of the new Batman movie. Bane looks really off to me. Too small for one. I feel they should have gone CG a la Hulk or done something with a different villain altogether. I feel there are a lot more interesting ones out there than Bane.
Then that Catwoman just looks so wrong.

I loved Begins and Dark Knight so I'll give it a try, but at the moment I'm really sceptical. Hope I'm wrong though.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Ruwrak said:

Why? Because he does it to nearly all his movies. (Ill just refer to indiana jones and you'll know what I mean.)
Not sure if trolling or serious.

Inability to correctly spell Spielberg (or Steven, for that matter), you apparently haven't seen any of his films beyond the fourth Indy movie.
Now, you see this guy below me

Ulquiorra4sama said:
Ruwrak said:

It wasn't John Wilkes Booth that assassinated the president... it was the Martians!

Not entirely sure that'll fly, but it would certainly make the scenes of adrenaline-fueled diplomacy a lot more interesting. Plus the final scene in which the president is shot could now be with a space laser exploding the theater and at the end Lincoln's hat comes slowly falling down from the sky and landing in an up-right position in front of the burning theater and gradually fading screams of people running away.
At least he gets the joke. Sure I might misspell STEVEN SPIELBERG because, at the time of writing I was half asleep and to lazy to figure it all out. Anyway, not trolling but merely jesting. Apparently I can't make a joke on the net without at least one person going 'Not sure if trolling or serious'. Well, I was neighter.

Allthough I might have been a bit serious about the aliens coming into the movie. Cowboys & Aliens, Indiana Jones and all that do make me wonder why they did not hire him to direct that one movie about invisible aliens that harvest electricity from earth. You know. Darkness? PitchDark? What was it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
So you're looking forward to a sci-fi movie about humans discovering "something horrifying while investigating alien ruins that could hold the secret to the origins of humankind?"

Now where have I heard that premise before...

Admit it MovieBob, your Halophobia is just a big act.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
All I can do is think back to the review of Monsters. If we're doing over/under, I'm picking over 5 of these movies to disappoint Bob.

(With Prometheus and John Carter to be two of them)

LordOfAllHeSurveys

Jan 4, 2012
If anyone can break the 3rd movie curse, it is Christopher Nolan.
And I admire that he took 2 of the dumbest supervillan ever in a batman movie or spinoff and said " Yeah I'm going to make them awesome again."
So yeah, I respectfully disagree with you MovieBob.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Without looking I would presume....

1/2 would be pretentious garbage that in either an artsy and or innovative form or simply award fodder

EDIT 1:(8,7,6,4,3)

1/2 would be pointless nod to nostalgia or ode to pointless fanboyism

EDIT 2:(10,9,5,3,2,1)

#3 basically boils down to artistic fodder due to the "controversial" nature of it, but its also an ode to fanboyism over Tarantino.

Pretty close, Though it seems I have given Bob entirely too much credit. Bobs opinions on movies from what I have experienced always been extremely narrow in that if it doesnt pigeonhole into one of those two categories, he doesnt care for it and will gladly dismiss it as bad. I honestly would trust the opinions of the hobo who lives behind the movie theater before I would ever apply any sort of validity to Bobs opinions.

I accepted Bobs views as being predominantly fanboyish after the incredibly high praise for the incredibly mediocre Captain America film. Ever since then I keep finding myself wondering why is this even here?

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Number three should prove fun. The US is pretty darned touchy over the topic *still* ' -'
viranimus said:
-Edit Snip-
And through all of that, I couldn't help but ironically call this a narrow opinion myself. Any possible way on elaborating? Because from what I saw during my time here was that Bob's opinions do vary from: horrible (Twilight)-->Bad-->okay but flawed--> Nothing special-->Good but flawed-->Cliche but great-->Great and original ---> Freaking fantastic.

Which is a much wider area than your post suggested.

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
I want to see all of these movies, including Batman.

I don't understand why he left it out, nor why so many people are agreeing. Not because I don't understand what he's saying about the trailers and stuff, and not because I'm against taking a controversial viewpoint, but because MovieBob and a lot of commenters aren't displaying the basic human trait of pattern recognition.

Batman Begins
Memento
The Prestige
Insomnia
The Dark Knight
Inception

Nolan has a pattern of making really good movies. When people learned about Heath Ledger there was so much complaining, then more complaining after seeing the screwy Joker makeup, and look how it all turned out! Obviously Nolan doesn't need anyone to defend him, and TDK Rises will make boatloads of money even if no one on The Escapist sees it. Given the 6 films listed, it's fair to assume that it will be a very good movie, even if it's not life-changing. For all we know (not much, since the plot is a total mystery), Batman dies in the first 10 minutes. I've complained about Bane too, and there's been plenty of fan expressions of lukewarm enthusiasm, but you all know that you're going to see it anyway.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
ProjectTrinity said:
Which is a much wider area than your post suggested.
Not really. I think you might be looking at it the wrong way around. The words he uses to describe what level he likes or doesnt like a film are not relevant. The point is he generally likes a very narrow style of film.(IE: Nostalgia and/or Oscar fodder)From there he is fairly intolerant or at least indifferent to anything that does not somehow fit into those two very generalized categories, to a point of being incredibly predictable.

Please remember, there is a world of difference between a personal opinion and a criticism(in a judging context). In watching Bobs reviews it feels like we are not watching an actual film critic as much as it is just some random guy predisposed to dissatisfaction and very politely ranting who simply has a slightly larger mouthpiece than most.

As for his list, I would say that Iron Sky looks intriguing. However, much like the cited Sky Captain film, that also seemed intriguing. I would say if anything the film needed to be more serious because it was the attempt at being niche campy and light hearted that absolutely gutted that film because it was too busy trying to beat you over the head with its inane and unrelatable 1940s noire gimmick. Iron Sky looks like it... can... get past that, though the swastika space craft leaves me to wonder.

Outside of that, the list seems pretty uninspired, though I despise every tentacle of disney with a vehement passion and that invariably means anything from Pixar as well as Marvel by proxy. So that really only leaves 7 out of 10 to be considerable.