The Big Picture: Mutants and Masses

Trombone_Hero

Apr 16, 2009
Weird, I had a conversation about he Mass Effect debacle, and I used the same basic argument as Bob here.

And for those that are pleading Bioware to change the ending, here's one little thing to think about. Bioware knew that this was going to be the end of the series, the last thing they say to the fans. Either, this ending is the one that they intended, one they wanted to have end their series, and now the fans are infringing on their artistic rights. Or, somewhere along the line, somebody just really didn't care how this series ended. I really can't see many other options that don't follow a similar trend to that.

Klitch

Jan 8, 2011
laserwulf said:
Klitch said:
laserwulf said:
Well said, Bob. This reply is a drop in the ocean, but I can't remain silently complicit while a vocal minority brings so much negative attention to the gaming community as a whole. In so many of these arguments about ME3, defenders of Retake Mass Effect try to discredit opponents and/or elevate off-the-cuff comments about a game that is IN AN UNFINISHED STATE to the level of official advertising or some sort of legally binding agreement (FTC & BBB complaints, Amazon.com refunds? Really?), rather than address the issues that folks like you bring up.

The thing that really baffles me is that outside of professional reviews, I haven't heard what the community at large feels about the actual -game- portion of the game. Is the ending honestly so terrible that it makes 10/20/30/etc. hours of gameplay not fun?
I'm not so sure about us being the minority here (Poll 1 [http://social.bioware.com/poll.php?user=1183972&poll_id=29101])(Poll 2 [http://social.bioware.com/poll.php?user=633606&poll_id=28989]).

As to your last question, unfortunately I would say yes. The defining point of the entire Mass Effect trilogy was that you got to shape the galaxy with your actions and choices. This is literally THE driving force behind the game right up until the last 10 minutes of a 100+ hour journey where every decision you have ever made is rendered moot and you push one of three buttons to get one of three differently colored, but otherwise identical, cutscenes with no closure, no explanation, and no resolution (not to mention numerous newly-introduced plot holes).

To be clear the first 99% of ME3 is, in my book, one of the greatest games I've ever played, but I literally can't bring myself to go back and play any of the trilogy again knowing that nothing that I do matters in the slightest and every mystery and plot arc that I start will forever remain unfinished. This is a sentiment I've heard reflected in many places. I don't want a new ending; you can't un-write what has been written. I'm disappointed that this is how what is arguably the greatest RPG series ever made had to end, but I can deal with that. The lies, though...
The only thing those polls show is that the majority of people who answered that poll are dissatisfied. And who's more likely to take the time to visit a developer's forum and answer a poll about what content should be added to the story, those who are content (or even happy) with the game, or those who are displeased or angry?

Once I get near the ending of ME3, I'm going to just turn my 360 off, so as to not negate the fun I've had getting to that point.
Honestly, that is probably a brilliant idea, but I don't mean to ruin the experience for you. You should definitely finish the game (especially if you have plugged in hundreds of hours into a carried-over save) because you might not hate the ending. I honestly don't understand how anybody could have possibly been satisfied by it, but some people have claimed as much. You should form your own opinion.

Also, I know those polls aren't scientific by any means, but when 97% of nearly 70,000 people on a forum that is owned and operated by the people who made the game express their dissatisfaction, I'm inclined to believe that we are actually the majority in this case. My own qualitative observation of various forums and media outlets (as well as my own exceedingly negative opinion of the ending itself) would seem to support this viewpoint. But it really doesn't matter which "side" has more people. I think everyone agrees that the entire situation is exceedingly unfortunate.

Edit: I should have mentioned that the prompt for Poll 1 has spoilers, sorry about that.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Bad move Bob, very, very, very, very bad move.

It's apparent that you really haven't researched into the whole Mass Effect 3 debacle, so be prepared to hear that the Mass Effect series is a special case, BioWare didn't deliver on ANY of their promises, and they pretty much slapped their own IP in the face in the last 5 minutes of their game.

Remember: BioWare has stated that their fans are equal creators in the story along with their actual writing staff.

EDIT: Before you go crying about how you're sick of people complaining, I think I should point you to THIS. [http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-role-of-the-player]
370999 said:
RaikuFA said:
370999 said:
So once again Bob doesn't understand the difference between games and movies. And misrepresents the retake ME movement. Standard stuff from him them.
Considering people are demanding donations back, making death threats and making BBB complaints over it, hes a bit justified. Hes just saying those above three make all fans of something look bad.
That is an extreme fringe and accompanies anything which is emotional. Bob is not a man to chide others for childish outbursts, remember the whole comparison between the Transformers movies and his dogs skeleton being dug out, covered in shit and views of it sold? I do.
Pretty much this.

What little trust I placed in Moviebob to be able to express something legitimate has now disappeared. I'm not "lol butthurt" or anything, just disappointed. Not that it really matters, but Moviebob has lost a longtime follower today. *shrug*

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Trombone_Hero said:
Weird, I had a conversation about he Mass Effect debacle, and I used the same basic argument as Bob here.

And for those that are pleading Bioware to change the ending, here's one little thing to think about. Bioware knew that this was going to be the end of the series, the last thing they say to the fans. Either, this ending is the one that they intended, one they wanted to have end their series, and now the fans are infringing on their artistic rights. Or, somewhere along the line, somebody just really didn't care how this series ended. I really can't see many other options that don't follow a similar trend to that.
There are waay too many options. It may be the result of EA shoehorning kinect integration and moving the release date. It may be that it's the result of 2 writers working on it without sharing it with the rest of the team. It may be a naked PR move. So many ways...

Hell I think people would've been fine with a bleak ending if it wasn't so ridden with plot holes, foreshadowed appropiately, and didn't leave everything unresolved. All reasons which feed the theory that this is a machiavellian PR move.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
bahumat42 said:
again its not you people saying its shit thats the problem, your entitled to think that and to vocalise it. But to pretend they lied to you, or demand a free change because it didn't go your way.

Thats just wrong.

There are smart people who have eloquently described their feelings who won't buy again. This is all fine. When people ***** and moan that they deserve some free extra endings because their weren't enough for them, no thats bullshit.

The great big evil that everyones pissed off about?
Ea marketed the multiple endings a bit too heavily. Thats it. They didn't lie about it, they just misled you, and to be frank marketers do that all the freaking time. If you can't see through such things like that than theres very little anyone can do for you.
I've got to point you at this:

Casey Hudson said:
This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C
Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/37677/mass-effect-3-citadel-is-bigger-than-ever-endings-will-be-more-sophisticated/

Hudson flat out stated, at most a month before the game went gold, that the end of ME3 would not feature an EndingTron with buttons to press to get your ending. Yet that is exactly what they delivered. That is a blatant lie to the consumer base. Is it enough for legal action? I don't know, but it's certainly false advertising in spirit.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
I've generally been supportive of the "Retake" movement, but now that my initial disbelief and anger has cooled, I have to admit, Bob makes some good points. After all this time and effort we as gamers have dedicated to trying to make mainstream society accept that video games are an art form, we need to treat them as any other art. I may loath the ending that Bioware gave us with every fiber of my being (especially the ending cut-scenes; goddamn talk about being lazy), but I cannot any longer, in good conscience, continue to demand changes to the ME3 ending while simultaneously demanding that the medium be treated with the respect due to any other artistic medium, and that includes allowing the creators to end it in whatever fashion they choose, regardless of how stupid I (or indeed, everyone) feels it might be.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Holy shit, I actually agree with Bob about something. Better go ring Satan, see if it's snowing down there.
It's not. That will only happen if the Chicago Cubs win the World Series. Sorry but I just had to make this comment.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
You know, I would respect Bob's opinion a lot more here if he weren't knocking down the same already tired strawman everyone else is.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
bahumat42 said:
All very good points
but its not false advertising because there are more than just the a b c choices.
As for "wrapping up all the important stuff" or whatever the damn quote was, surely you can see that on anything this scope its impossible to tie up all threads. So thats again down to personal opinion on what tied up is.
Yes. Yes it was. You get 3 buttons to press at the end of the game and you then get 3 endings that are almost identical save for the color of the wave of space magic. You also get very, very small cutscenes added in depending on your EMS. These cutscenes are on the order of 2-5 seconds and answer no questions and resolve no conflict. It's utterly meaningless.

bahumat42 said:
Theres was different than yours. Marketers are hired to embellish things, thats their job if you or anyone else for that matter got too bought in, thats your fault for not being a responsible consumer.

The fact of the matter is you all lined up and bought day 1 ignoring needs for reviews and such things, this is the downside to doing that. Again take responsibility for your own actions.
I would agree with this point, except none of the professional reviews I've read have so much as mentioned just how bad the end is. It's all completely glossed over, meaning even if someone had waited, there wouldn't be any professional/reputable information about it.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
bahumat42 said:
wootsman said:
This best explains the whole Mass Effect 3 controversy.
oh look theres more than 3 endings. :p

Do they not show a series of slightly different outcomes based on your decision, Yes they do (and to note that video leaves out the shepard breathing extra)

Not the best evidence iv seen. Pretty video though.
Actually, I don't think that's the video you think it is (I say this because I know I thought it was a different video when I saw it linked). Look at the timestamp. Total runtime: 11 minutes, 24 seconds. While it does include footage from the ending, the video as a whole is actually comprised mainly of commentary, which in no small part focused on the idea of 'artistic integrity' (Even referencing "The Fountain" - a urinal presented as art - to exemplify how "anything can be art if we say it is and 'art' alone doesn't imply merit")

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
bahumat42 said:
All very good points
but its not false advertising because there are more than just the a b c choices.
As for "wrapping up all the important stuff" or whatever the damn quote was, surely you can see that on anything this scope its impossible to tie up all threads. So thats again down to personal opinion on what tied up is.

Theres was different than yours. Marketers are hired to embellish things, thats their job if you or anyone else for that matter got too bought in, thats your fault for not being a responsible consumer.

The fact of the matter is you all lined up and bought day 1 ignoring needs for reviews and such things, this is the downside to doing that. Again take responsibility for your own actions.
Except there aren't more than 3 choices, you make one of three choices, and watch what happens, the makers of the game decided to cut it up slightly, and only paste some of it over certain choices, then they claim the game has 17 endings or whatever, and honestly, I can live with that, what I can't accept from them is when you can find interviews before this came out talking about the different kinds of endings you will get, that according to them at the time, were in the game, only to buy the game yourself and find that they aren't there. That is lying, not embellishing, and that review thing falls completely flat, obviously reviews aren't going to talk about the ending, and who would wait around long enough before buying the game to read a plot synopsis and spoil everything for themselves?

Also before you reply I'd highly recommend you watch this video from a guy who explains in far better detail why the ending(s) are bad without any fan boy BS that was never there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7SeawU4&feature=g-all-u&context=G2d94660FAAAAAAAAQAA

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I?m going to do my best to explain my views as clearly, and as respectfully as I can, so, if anyone feels like reading a wall of text 21 paragraphs long (I wont over board, typed a bit much) note there will be no bile below. Sorry for the length, feel free to not read?though I did put a lot of thought in to it.

Mass Effect 3?s ending was bad, and I understand that Bob may make a note that people are allowed to complain, voice their opinion, but I think there?s a problem with too many people generalizing displeasure with ME3?s ending to fans just being fans, or fan boys. There are people who are passionate about it, and that?s a good thing. Some need to tone it down a bit, I?m in favor of people letting Bioware know how they feel, they don?t need to be so angry about it sure, but if Bioware doesn?t get the feed back they can?t use that to make the game better/different and/or use that information for their next game - not just ME but whatever game comes next.

I feel there are some things that they did, maybe not wrong, but failed to deliver in comparison to Mass Effect 2. I have no played Mass Effect 1, I played 2 and 3 on Playstation 3, so I don?t know quite what to say as 1 to 3, but myself looking at 2 and 3 there are things that are not done as well. ME3 made a lot of improvements over 2, more levels for powers, added powers, I love the weight system, running around space with Reapers chasing you is great. But looking at the ending, the whole thing for me, from the touch down on Earth even, does not compare to 2?s ending sequence in terms of player choice.

People are saying that having more options in 3?s ending (because you get options through the game, characters live and die by your choices, the Krogan and Genophage, the Rachni, you get choice there, but the ending drops it) it would be too much, impossible, how many endings would there need to be fifty? But the choices in ME2, part of what makes that ending even worth talking about is the suicide run, where characters can die because of your actions. Characters who are not loyal put in situations that they are not meant for will die, even putting someone who is loyal in a bad situation can get them killed. There are so many mixes that you can do and see in the suicide run with different characters doing different things. I?ve had a loyal character as my biotic and they failed and another loyal character died because the barrier dropped too soon, that?s interesting, that?s something to talk about, those are stories to share. It?s what people are praising in Skyrim in a way, because they do one thing in this area than someone else they get different stories, the Mass Effect series is good for that as well, and I think a bit more so when it comes to ME2?s Suicide Mission.

Mass Effect 3 does not have that same feel, or choice on Earth. No matter how many play throughs you do the same things will happen on Earth the exact same way (other than characters deaths before hand). They had an opportunity to take ME2?s last mission and expand upon it in a war, there?s so many things they could have done. In 2 you choose a leader for your second team, you don?t see what they do, you don?t see them fight, but it has impact on the story, on the game, because that character may die or get someone on their team killed. It would have been great if during the war on Earth you were able to send squads that you gained through the game to certain points and based on themselves, and how you talked to them they might die, or lower the amount of enemies charging you by succeeding.

I?m thinking now of Jack, and her squad of bio-kids. What if when leaving Grissom when asked your opinion of the bio-kids you say they?re ready for the front lines, Jack gets upset with you, later on Earth they have less kids because they died before hand on other battles, you then choose to send them to the front lines again and they, along with Jack just get over run, or you send them to the back for support, but because theirs too few of them they might die any ways. But it when leaving Grissom you said they were not ready, maybe that time they spent honing their skills as backup has lead them to be ready and now they can be a hard pressing force. And the outcomes, the play out of it, all it is, is a simple choice system like ME2?s and a short ten second clip of the out come. And that?s just Jack, and two out comes which would be easy to change up with short clips, what about Grunt and his squad, what about a second team of your people, what about the others having squads as well? It could have been so awesome.

That?s just one aspect, one point, but the thing is to me is that with the ending it?s not just one thing. Getting past that, and going to the ending part of the ending, I find a lack of closure, a lack of information, and a lack of choice, and input. By input I mean in 2 squad mates you brought to the end with you may voice an opinion, and that affected my choice of A or B. Shepard?s talking to TIM and Tali was there for me, she voiced her concern that the Collector base and Reaper baby were dangerous, and should be destroyed, and that?s one thing, but then the next, was TIM snapping at her and telling Shep not to listen to Tali that she has no idea what she?s talking about, and I felt that make my choice for me, I blew that shit up. But on another play through, with Tali there, that conversation didn?t happen, and so it felt different. On another play through I befriended Miranda had her with me, and she voiced concern that the base and reaper were too dangerous, and Miranda disagreeing with TIM in ME2? Boom, blew the base up. Now yes, at the start of ME3 Miranda has left Cerberus, even if at the end of 2 she doesn?t say anything, but that?s one of the benefits of 2 being 2 and not 3, 3 is supposed to be the end of the trilogy of Shepard and the Reapers, it doesn?t have the benefit of cleaning stuff up in the next installment or at least it shouldn?t.

In Mass Effect 3?s end, you can talk with TIM, argue with him, try to convince him, and that conversation can change, and that?s good, but that?s one thing, no matter what Anderson says (I believe) doesn?t change your thoughts through additional plays because it doesn?t change he just says the same things over and over (I believe). At the end, you are in a room with Shep, Anderson, and TIM, no matter what, and that narrows the experience, as opposed to 2 where you could choose 2 squad mates out of 12 and each one might say something that affects your view, or TIM might say something right back that affects what you?re going to do as well.

Then you are with just Shep and the VI, and people make great points about it being proven wrong about the created always rising against the creator. You can easily get into a situation where the Geth are allied with everyone else, even if the Quarians die, if the Quarians live and so do the Geth, well even more so then. But no matter what that scene plays out the same, there is no change, no difference, other than getting a third option based on Readiness.

And when it comes to the Reaper thought process of kill life so life isn?t killed, it makes some sense. Intelligent being creates robot, robot attacks intelligent beings, robot attack all beings, all beings killed, only robot left, unless robot develops emotion and gains the ability to create life then life is pretty much over. So to prevent Robot from destroying all life, simply destroy robot? Intelligent Being just recreates robot, because they did it once they can do it again. New robot still attacks Intelligent Being. New Robot still kills all life. So, prevent Robot from killing all life by killing robot and Intelligent Being so no further robots can be made, at least until 50,000 years when simple beings become intelligent beings. The problem however is that with this cycle, with Humans, Geth, Turians, and so on, is Geth didn?t attack anyone. According to ME3, the Geth were created, gained self awareness, were feared for being self aware and were then attacked, as to were any Quarian helping a Geth, or having sympathy for them. Geth defended themselves, Quarians left. Geth did not give chase. Where Shepard is told the created always attack the creator, the Geth did not, they did not seek out to attack anyone or anything for something around 300 hundred years? Until the Reaper came and lead a few indoctrinated Geth to attack life forms.

The VI says no matter what they will attack and kill all life, but the Geth didn?t until the Reaper in ME1 came and became a fews? God, and lead them to attack life. Then says that the cycle of Robot destruction is always unchanging, but Shepard has arrived to the VI and so things are have changed, in that no one ever got to that room before, how does that part even matter? The cycle is broken, things have changed because someone made it to the VI. Not because of how AI has been acting in this cycle, which is the one things that matters in this twisted logic.

As to the plot holes, they?re there, but it?s not just the end, I would like to know what the hell happened to Liara?s father? If anyone knows can you tell me? Because Liara and her Father were making nice, her Father making fun of her, then Cerberus attacked and Liara?s father was gone, and that?s it, I didn?t see Liara mention her, and see her anywhere, just she?s gone, Liara?s father is just gone. Maybe it?s a small part I missed somewhere else? But I would really like to know if Liara?s father is alive or not.

The FTC thing is pretty dumb. The ?hate? is stupid, the anger isn?t needed, and while some people have acted in the wrong, or stupidly, I?m fine with the idea of showing your displeasure by giving money to something other than Bioware, in this case charity. It can be seen as a little silly, maybe a better idea would have been letters to Bioware with a note saying they were displeased with the ending, the reasons why, stating they had money that Could have went to Bioware but instead they bought something else, enclosed is the receipt. Ex - ?The ending to Mass Effect 3 felt rushed, I will not be buying your DLC, with the money that could have went to the DLC I bought a book, here?s the receipt as proof.? It?s taking your business else where and showing Bioware such. Here though, the money went to people who need it, it?s just a few people of the bunch who where stupid, who wanted their money back, or didn?t read it, didn?t understand, or represented themselves poorly. A new ending shouldn?t be demanded, but what is everyone else saying?

?You don?t like it? Don?t buy it!? Too late, I played it, then found out I didn?t like it, now what?

?Don?t buy their stuff!? Okay, I wont, I?ll buy something else?hey Bioware I bought some new shoes instead of your DLC, they?re shiny.

I think that?s all the Retake ME was really about, it?s just a few ruined the idea. If anyone is wondering, I did not participate in Retake ME, or anything else like petitions, or hate mail, or hail bombing, or what ever.

There are better ways to show ones displeasure and I think that?s what people are trying to say, but they are just failing at it so badly.

If you liked the ending, fine, that?s good, nothing wrong with that. No snide comment, no remark of condescendence. If bioware improves the ending I will be happy, if they don?t, I?ll just move on, it?s not going to kill me. It is the same for many others, but with the internet how It is in it?s current state with the idea of twitter being the in thing, it?s get your opinion out quick, and be decisive, people, on both sides, just take a moment to think, voice your opinion sure, but slinging insults just is not nice.

TMNT?

I love the turtles, they are in my heart always, I have five actual turtles in real life, and two of them are named after the TMNT, I have TMNT underwear, a shirt, and I still have some TMNT toys in the closet. I haven?t read all the old comics, I read some, and the cartoon is different, each installment of TMNT is a little different, and that?s a good thing, when it comes to their origin though it?s mostly always the same, little turtles + ooze = mutant turtles -> Trianed by mutant rat = Mutant Ninja Turtles + age = Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That?s their Origin, their lore, they fight Shredder, their names are Raph, Leo, Donny, and Mike (okay nicknames, but whatever), they are from New York?changing those things, it is no longer TMNT, that is why people are complaining, it?s the same reasons people complain about small little bit in super hero movies MOVIE BOB?or even the comics, MOVIE BOB.

Now if the title is changing to Ninja Turtles, okay, fine, whatever, taking it a new direction, making a clear statement that it?s different, I can be fine, just don?t bullshit me that it?s the same thing as anything else TMNT, and I wont troll you about Transformers movies, or something of equal fan-problems to anyone else who feels passionate about things that make them happy. Yes Happy, that?s what it?s all about, finding stuff that makes you happy damn it, and sad endings do that too, sad ending make me happy, complete endings make me happy, weird randomness makes me happy (sometimes), the Mass Effect 3 ending does not, and that?s okay.

PS -
Also, just to not wimp out, up there, where I typed ?but slinging insults just is not nice.? is my nice way of saying ?but slinging insults just makes you look like a jackass.?

PSS - forgive the ? marks everywhere, it's a copy paste and this thing doesn't like my ' from word documents or word processor or anything thing, and re-writing the whole thing would be a giant pain in the ass...damn you escapist post crap, maybe this is why I never post.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
bahumat42 said:
All very good points

Someone being a marketer does not excuse them for lying about a product, however this goes well beyond marketing. If you head to the Bioware Social forums they had an entire thread dedicated to Bioware's promises about the game, which came from people in the development team who were all conveying a very specific message and making promises.

What's more the guys doing the writing for the ending, as revealed in the interviews from that app, mentioned specifically not allowing you to question "Starchild" and ask questions like "well, how long have you been reaping" deciding that the players did not need all those answers even if they could have given them. Making it clear that they could have done a much better job in fulfilling the promises that were made.

In the end a strong enough case can be made where Lawyers are apparently willing to represent this, and an FTC complaint has actually been filed. In the end, we'll see what the ruling is. Maybe the authorities will agree with you, maybe not. Making desicians like that is why such authorities exist... it's their job, and there have been sillier complaints made over the years. I think it's wrong to say that the game industry should be viewed as beyond criticism and that it's foolish to go to the authorities with a dispute. They are not beyond the law.

What's more, even if they are able to defend themselves on those grounds, I do think they needed to be called on the whole monetization of the ending which was just frakking ridiculous. The reason why "we can't have nice things" as Bob puts it, is because we constantly bend over and take it from the gaming industry as it pushes and pushes for more and more money. On those grounds alone this needed to be opposed, because if we didn't it would start a trend where every game would demand you pay a fee, pay for DLC, and then pay more money to actually see the endings of your game.

Not to mention the central issue here does come down to artwork somewhat, as the ending does not fit the game, and was motivated entirely by money. This is the gamers calling the company on selling out and sacrificing it's artistic integrity, rather than gamers pushing for creators to satisfy them specifically.

See, no one is saying that Mass Effect is obligated to have the most epic ending ever that satisfies everyone, that's impossible. No ending to something like this will satisfy everyone, and that's true. The thing is that normally you see people going away at most saying "well I would have done things differantly" content if not impressed, and perhaps a tiny minority of pepople raving. Mass Effect 3 stands out for managing to have an ending which everyone hates, as opposed to a minority of people, and part of that hatred comes because it's obvious that the game's conclusion was being sacrificed for business move.

This isn't a series of events that's going to discourage risk taking in the gaming media, plenty of people have done that and it's paid off. At the very worst this represents how things can go wrong (which is why it's a risk). Overall though I think the message the industry should be getting (and probably will get) is that gamers will only be pushed so far by their profiteering. The industry was probing for how far it could go, and it just slammed face first into that wall and got their answer.

Nergy

Jul 21, 2011
bahumat42 said:
All very good points

I haven't played any of the mass effect games myself, but i think what they mean is that the series had plot points the series failed to address in the ending/later part of the game (which they promised to do)

I don't think it's fair to blame us, considering they're the ones who embellished. People trust Bioware enough because they have given a lot of people reason to trust them. Instead of saying "that's just the way marketing is". Wouldn't it be better to tell them that we don't like being lied to, and tell them that in future they should avoid such practices?.

Your third paragraph could be given the same response as above. ME and ME2 were very well received and people trusted Bioware enough to put a shiny button on the series with ME3. That didn't happen and after spending over $100 and having a lot of emotional investment in the story, it's not hard to see why some fans might feel a bit angry when Bioware doesn't follow through what they promised.

sgtslacker

Jun 28, 2011
I don't often disagree with you, and your argument makes sense but, it completely tosses aside our main reason for complaining and what not, false advertising, 5 minutes of looking on the internet would show anyone who disagrees with us that Bioware said one thing and gave us another, I probably would not of cared about the ending if they had not said they would not give us a A B C ending, but they did say that and then we got one, and it pisses me as a consumer off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
bz316 said:
I've generally been supportive of the "Retake" movement, but now that my initial disbelief and anger has cooled, I have to admit, Bob makes some good points. After all this time and effort we as gamers have dedicated to trying to make mainstream society accept that video games are an art form, we need to treat them as any other art. I may loath the ending that Bioware gave us with every fiber of my being (especially the ending cut-scenes; goddamn talk about being lazy), but I cannot any longer, in good conscience, continue to demand changes to the ME3 ending while simultaneously demanding that the medium be treated with the respect due to any other artistic medium, and that includes allowing the creators to end it in whatever fashion they choose, regardless of how stupid I (or indeed, everyone) feels it might be.
But other media have had this happen before. Buffy. Dallas. Sherlock Holmes. What does this have to do with being accepted as mainstream, unless a double standard is in effect. Was TV artistically lessened by the retcons of B:tS or Dallas? Was the written word irrevocably diminished because Holmes came back?

why should this be any different? Give me one freaking reason that Video Games need to not be the subject of retcon to be considered art, when you can find this everywhere. Shakespeare had a freaking patron, and he's considered one of the greatest writers in the English language!

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
That's just a surprisingly dumb argument from you Bob. You're allowed to be upset about things that are not the worst thing to ever happen to you. Anything to increase your views lately.

Sure, the FTC complaint and dragging Child's Play through the mud with elaborate conspiracy theories is a significant amount of overkill, but games=/=movies or any other art for that matter. The interaction and sheer amount of hours invested into a franchise makes it unlike anything else, and comparisons all fall short.

If you buy a car, drive it 30,000 miles, and it blows up, people wouldn't say "well, did you enjoy the journey?". It should not happen in the first place, and several people along an elaborate production and screening process failed miserably at their jobs.

To get the full Mass Effect experience, fans have paid 200+ dollars and given nearly 100 hours for the promise of an ending. It's not just a bad ending, it's a destructive one. One that obliterates all of your progress and insults the player.