The Big Picture: Mystery Science Theater 3000

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Dang, I love MST3K. One of the best comedy shows America has every had. A true classic in every sense of the word. Now I really want to watch it again... To Netflix! Away!

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Nice episode :D

I always thought it was called Mystery Science Fiction Theater 3000, now I'm saved from possible future embarrassment ^^

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
dragomort said:
Sylocat said:
I checked out some of the RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic stuff. It made me want to grab the cast, shake them and yell, "You're all just making half-assed MST3K! Why don't you just get back together and make the real thing again?!"
I really want to start some kind of mass fan movement to get everything going that way. I'm not sure if they would want to go on that route or even if they can, but they're all gravitating around it sans-puppets and complete casts anyhow and the fan support is definitely still there. :(

I think my VHS tapes (both bought and recorded from comedy central/scifi) of that show would still qualify as a prized possession or memory that I keep around, but for the tech savvy they were all put out there (save the first and second KTMA eps that were never re-aired) one way or another under a digital archival project inspired by their 'keep circulating the tapes' message at the end of each broadcast. My cds of the show were sadly stolen :( Yes, I am that huge a dork....

I am curious how it looks to those that didn't experience it during that time it was on the air, but I suppose it's just as varied as it was then, just for different reasons. Their attitude behind it was golden and still remains so from all I've seen, I'm just happy other people got half as much enjoyment out of them as I have and truly hope they continue on a path where we get to see them more.

I suppose I'll list my favorites and all to the pile as well-

Earth vs The Spider -- for teaching me blocking techniques
Pod People --- Trumpy's magic!
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians --- Pills for dinner? What are we, Judy Garland?
Master Ninja 1-2 -- for the theme song
Attack of the the Eye Creatures ---is that a typo?! the breakdown at the end is possibly the greatest thing ever
Manos: The Hands of Fate -- You couldn't ask for a better movie by a fertilizer salesman
I Accuse My Parents --- possibly for the 'chicken of tomorrow' short that ran before it
Mitchell -- Chase scene with turn signals in use = awesome and Baker's interviews upon it hitting made it all the better
Danger!!! Death Ray - for peaceful purposes...
Red Zone Cuba -- Guard....water....sick man
Samson vs The Vampire Women -- If you don't laugh hysterically when the main character enters, you have no sense of humor
Deathstalker and The Warriors from Hell -- Trucks Artist? Cool, could you paint my van?
The Incredible Melting Man-- I'm Doctor Ted Nelson!
Parts: The Clonus Horror -- Mainly as it was remade without credit recently
Riding with Death -- Truckers have such cute names for sex
The Creeping Terror -- He's making his own gravy!
Prince of Space --Ha...heh...heh...heh
Space Mutiny-- the buff names you could quote all day and more
Thepumaman -- Puma Man may have been good, but luckily Thepumaman gets added super-powers of innate knowledge of home wiring and flight.... just like a Puma!
Hobgoblins -- Someone's rubbing puppets on us!!!
The Final Sacrifice --- Rowsdower!

Some of these are easier to new viewers than others, especially due to pacing differences and humor involved and all. New viewers I'd go with something fast paced and not overly referential. I think Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is about perfect for new viewers in my experience and I've also had luck with The Puma Man and The Incredible Melting Man off the above list. Starting off with some of them before you've acquired the taste for it would likely be brutal.
I used to have VHS tapes of most of those you listed and a few that I can't remember now, I do remember a Russian film they did that involved a bear. I used to tape those episodes, but those tapes are long gone, and I wish I could watch them. Google and Netflix is really the only two places that I'm aware of that I can still watch those anymore. Makes me sad.

Also,
When
you want
the flavor of bacon
in a dip

Debatra

Kaedanis Pyran
Sep 6, 2008
These guys are responsible for the world's first Rick Roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4611CDqlBs

Low Key

May 7, 2009
omegawyrm said:
One of the best pieces I've seen by these guys was a recording of a live riffing of Plan 9 from Outer Space by Bill, Mike, and Kevin. Easily some of the best material of theirs' that I've seen.

If you think Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic suck, you probably need to take off those Nostalgia goggles, MST3K was great, but both teams are still producing wonderful comedy with these projects. Actually, I was kind of hoping Bob would mention why both teams work separately now, that's the one thing I don't already know about the show.
They are different because Joel wants to riff obscure movies while Mike & crew want to riff more popular movies. They still do conventions together when asked and I'm sure they still talk.

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
I grew up with this show. It remains, to this day, my favorite show to ever air on television.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
My favourites are "The Final Sacrifice" and "Space Mutiny", both of which I have on DVD. I've watched them so many times I can mouth along with the words without realizing it and yet I still find them hilarious.

Although, Bob, I'm amazed you didn't bring up "Unskippable" in all of this, since I'm pretty sure that's where the concept originally came from.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot!

May 4, 2009
After watching this video I have one thing to say: "I'm feeling really good!" -- Akio from Gamera Vs. Guiron.

The ending was a nice touch too, Bob.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
ewhac said:
Prince of Space
Ah a great episode. I love how the chicken puppet shows up there. The same one later filled with dynamite. Also some great riffs. You know I shouldn't have just asked Bob, you guys have a lot of good picks. So I'll just open the question up to anyone who reads this. IF you were to pic and episode for a beginner which one would you pick?

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Also,
When
you want
the flavor of bacon
in a dip
Yes! High five. I was about to post the same thing at him lol.
dragomort said:
snip...
The Final Sacrifice --- Rowsdower!

Some of these are easier to new viewers than others, especially due to pacing differences and humor involved and all. New viewers I'd go with something fast paced and not overly referential. I think Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is about perfect for new viewers in my experience and I've also had luck with The Puma Man and The Incredible Melting Man off the above list. Starting off with some of them before you've acquired the taste for it would likely be brutal.
You have a great list here. So many good ones. The bit during the middle of the Trumpy episode is EPIC. I used to be friends with this girl and to greet each other we'd by like "McLeod!" "CHIEF!" her husband hated that he didn't know what the deal was. But he hated me in general that was just one more thing not to like lol. Also Melting man, a good pick for new viewers "I'm the ugliest clown in the circus!". "ZAP Rowsdower"...

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
Brings back good times of ridiculously late nights sick as a kid watching this with my mom. Darn good show that was.

rebus_forever

Jan 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
Mystery Science Theater 3000

MovieBob's got major movie sign.

Watch Video

Bob, ty.

I have for many years wondered why mst3k is so unheard of, explaining it to people and having them compare it to something Jim Henson would do has always pained me and left me feeling my explanations were insufficient.

gotta ask have u seen the "prince of space" and "puma man", regarding puma man its one of Donald Plesants most awesome roles.
I asked Donalds wife about puma man and why it wasnt more popular, she described Donalds attitude to the film as "grab the cash and run", for me that does nothing but enhance the "performance" he contributed to that particular screen gem.

one last awesome mst3k is Santa clause versus the Martians but then how could a film with that title dissatisfy.

complete links below : D

Puma man
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3314709229985586561#

the prince of space
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6356904110759435418#

santa clause versus the martians
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8394482045230280195#docid=-5684529284016066345

hope someone enjoys these : D imo some of the best and if u disagree i should point out that you weapons have no effect on me.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
If I had grown up with this show, I bet I would've loved it as much as Bob does

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
You know, half the time, I don't agree with Movie Bob.

But this time, He's right on the money.

Speaking of money, I love MST3K so much, that I have close to one thousand dollars invested in buying every single episode of the series. ( Box sets come with four movies, and cost 50 a piece. I have almost all of the 20 or so of the box sets that have been released)

Oh, and to clarify, Micheal J. Nelson was the better host.

Palwador

Oct 1, 2010
I've seen some of it.
I liked some of the jokes. I thought "only in the 80's!" I was born in 86 my self.
but I love back to the future!