The Big Picture: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Captain Kangaroo PIMP

Palm Strike
Dec 15, 2009
This (and its spin-offs like riff-trax) and Cheap seats are the only ones to get the commentary jokes right.

Cheap seats if you've never seen it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MLFfVAu4d4&feature=related

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
dehboy said:
Not-So-Anon Delivers! For those of you at work who can't watch on youtube, a company posted MANY full length episodes on google video!

http://www.google.com/#q=mst3k&hl=en&tbs=vid:1,srcf:H4sIAAAAAAAAAKvMLy0pTUrVS87PVdNOz89Pz4GwUxIzcypz80sy8_1PA_1LLU_1AwwIyknMy-7LDMFzMlNLUlMTkyDaAEAQKHh-0sAAAA&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=qMdaTdG-B8rAgQe99Y28DA&ved=0CB4QpwUoAg&fp=3632c40c682c9e1c

Favorites:
Soul Taker
Space Mutiny
The Final Sacrifice
Future War
Hobgoblins
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Ninja'd! I was totally about to tell everyone of the many great episodes on google video.

In the words of Joel Hodgson, Keep Circulating the Tapes!

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
Today I learned how to use NetObjects Fusion and I learnt what Mystery Science Theater 3000 was.

Today was a good day.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
PhiMed said:
This is easily the most overrated show in the history of television, and it has been a major contributor to the "I'm artsy because I shit on other people's art" movement in the U.S. The IABISOOPA movement is, as we all know, the most annoying cultural shift since the initiation of the gradual eradication of scripted television in favor of reality diarrhea.
But they were never trying to be artsy, they just wanted to make fun of crappy movies. And make no mistake: these are BAD movies. Really bad. The jokes (slow as they may have been in some episodes) actually made watching them bearable. If there is some nameable movement in America all about denigrating art, MST3K is not to blame for its spread.

This brings up bad memories of a relationship ended over an incredibly stupid show. You have made me sad today, Bob. Very sad, indeed.
That can't be the only reason.

JoshTheater

LRR Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
I love you MovieBob. Thank you for this great video about probably the greatest forgotten series of all time. I know exactly what you mean, my sense of humor would be NOTHING without this show.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
One of the best pieces I've seen by these guys was a recording of a live riffing of Plan 9 from Outer Space by Bill, Mike, and Kevin. Easily some of the best material of theirs' that I've seen.

If you think Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic suck, you probably need to take off those Nostalgia goggles, MST3K was great, but both teams are still producing wonderful comedy with these projects. Actually, I was kind of hoping Bob would mention why both teams work separately now, that's the one thing I don't already know about the show.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Ah...another gem before my time. Thank god for access to classics through the internet.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Ahh good old MST3K ...

I actually found a torrent that has the entire series in it, quality is mixed,and about 150GB of my hard drive is now and forever dedicated to it, but I'm glad to have it all the same. Anyone who hasn't seen it definitely should - they have a bunch of episodes available on Netflix these days.

Also Micheal J. Nelson all the way!

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
My most vivid memory of the show is the episode where they showed "Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Suddenly Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies", a film so terrible that even the valiant efforts of the MST3K cast were unable to save it. Were they to weaponize a movie for evil, that train wreck (train wreck used because no known language can properly express how awful the movie really was) would be a prime candidate.

It is almost certain that MST3K is the reason that, to this day, I take a perverse pleasure in watching terrible movies. Uwe Boll films are some of the best in this regard as they tend to fall in that incredible space of moving past "bad" into the "so bad it's good" category, which is a surprisingly wide gulf. So wide in fact that I have only seen two movies that have managed to make it to the other side into the realm of "So bad I can no longer believe anyone responsible really set out to make a good movie" territory (The aforementioned ISCWSSLaBMUZ and Battlefield Earth).

Feb 13, 2008
Seriously? I've got nothing more to say than "THIS".

The third greatest show of all time.

Doctor Who comes first (obviously), and The Twilight Zone comes second.

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes,
And other science facts,
Repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax."

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
The Dead Talk Back, starring the inimitable Aldo Farnese as Mr. Krasker. This one still gets me rolling on the floor.

"With thirty-four cylinders, the cars of yesteryear were impossible to flood."

"I can't hear it very clearly."
"That's 'cause it's a RAZOR BLADE IN A GLASS!!"

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Mst3k? ...*sniff* I havent watch bobs vid. But I love you man. I loved mst3k with all my black little heart. I'm saving this show for when I can be alone..... And I don't care how creepy that sounds.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea. I would say that?s probably one of my all time favorites as well.
It was like Up All Night but with Gilbert Gottfried watching the movie with you.
If you dig that show, you should also check out Woody Allen?s first movie ?What?s Up Tiger Lily?

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Eclectic Dreck said:
My most vivid memory of the show is the episode where they showed "Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Suddenly Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies", [ ... ]
"Cinematography by Zapruder."

"Oh, he should not frolic."

"I think what she's trying to say here is SLEEEEEEEP!"

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Rumpelstiltskin said:
Oh, so this is how people got to know manos.

Brrr... Manos =S
"Every frame of this movie looks like someone's last-known photograph."

"Uh, that's not how you wear your Depends, Torgo."
"Been hittin' the Thighmaster, Torgo?"