The Big Picture: Once Upon a Time in The Future

Mr. Sparzy

Aug 28, 2010
You know Mars could be the answer to our problems. Maybe we can make more crops on Mars and send them back to Earth to feed the hungry, or maybe we can send the poor and hungry to Mars, and help them their. Or we can send the rich and intelligent to Mars so we don't have to worry about them, and them rebuild on Earth to help the unfortunate.

Who says we have bigger problems then Mars? Maybe Mars can answer our problems! :D

Who knows. :)

Kickserve

Mar 20, 2009
I didn't hear a single rational argument here. MovieBob, you are normally reasonable and I watch all your shows, but this was just weird. You came up with no compelling reason to go to space backed up with any evidence. What purpose is there, really, to leave a habitable world and set up camp on a completely uninhabitable one? How is that easier or more convenient or cheaper?What is even accomplished by making first contact with an alien race? The only thing I heard here was "Outer space is cool." There was no reasonable cost/benefit analysis. I was hoping for some argument for space exploration, but there was none here. I think that this idealogical, emotional, and spiritual argument for space exploration has been around too long, and was for a long time a serious problem with our culture. It seems quite out of character for the reasonable, nerdy people that always look at everything analytically to cite manifest destiny as a reason to spend billions of dollars in space.

Space Lion

Void Traveller
Apr 4, 2010
I agree with everything you said except the choice between peace on earth and cities on Mars. I think that peace on earth would be a much bigger help towards the exploration of space than the small jump colonizing Mars in your lifetime would give us. One of the main reasons money is being taken away from NASA was to fund the war in Iraq. And when we make first contact do we really want to show them the world as it is today? With this political climate? I sure as hell wouldn't and Captain Picard wouldn't either.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
I propose that the stall of space programs is a good thing. We did a fine damn job of fucking up this planet so I don't want to imagine what horrible things we're capable of doing to mars or the moon.

Here's to hoping we all die before we can run off to space. We treat one world bad enough as it is and once we spread towards more planets we'll be treating them even worse.

stan573

Dec 8, 2010
because helping others is communism, you would know that if you had payed any attention to the past two years.
Look at what helped end the great depression, the government created work programs
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
The quagmire that is Earth will never stand a chance to be a place of peace and justice. Mankind's only hope lies in space.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Bob the way I see it is the U.S has one main priority at the moment,that being the War on Terror.
Think of the billions thrown into that and there you have your answer as to why your space program dosen't rate anymore.

Schizms

Jun 15, 2010
And discovery channel decided that reality shows about bike builders, and to dudes with mustached who blow things up are more important than showing actual interesting documentaries showing how awesome space travel is.
dont get me wrong, I love the shows they put on discovert channel. And they show a good number of documentaries on their other channels (like discovery science). But their main focus has become entertainment and not education.

halfmac

Aug 29, 2010
It it sad that the US is taking a back seat to the rest of the world. Our space policy has lost focus for years. Then that is true for long term planning in the rest of the government.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
stan573 said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Ugh. I'd agree with enlightenment values over liberal values any day. I'd place knowledge as a much higher priority than world peace or solving world hunger.

Why?

Because people are going to die. No matter what. Does it really matter all that much? Is the human struggle really just a struggle to prolong our own lives and fill them with pleasurable experiences? I spit on this hedonism that underlies liberal values.

If there is any nobility in human existence it is in our struggle to grow and learn more about the world. If we lose that just so everyone can have their +/-70 years of wretched contentment then I say humanity no longer deserves to exist.

That being said, who cares about space travel? WE CAN'T DO IT PROPERLY RIGHT NOW ANYWAY! WE DON'T HAVE ANTI-GRAVITY OR FASTER THAN LIGHT TRAVEL. HELL WE'RE STILL USING FOSSIL FUELS.

I'm more excited about CERN, genetics, neuroscience, computers and robotics than I am about space travel. It's those things we should be worried about. When I think of all the romantic stuff about the human quest for knowledge I think of a microscope, not a space shuttle.
Oh my god, do you even know what you're saying? NASA is government-funded. Liberals are the ones who push to fund it!

And this is nothing to say of your callous disregard for your fellow human being. I think you're trying to equate 'basic necessities such as shelter' with 'let's all buy each other yachts'.
1) I wasn't talking about the political party. I was talking about the idea that all people should have an equal place in society and that people come first. The vast majority of human beings are completely insignificant. Billions of people have married, had children, worked some job, died and no one remembers their names, or that they even existed.

2) Yup. I do have very little regard for my fellow human being. Look at the potential of the human mind, and then look at what most people do with theirs. If that isn't reason enough to have contempt for them then I don't know what is. I don't care about Africa. I'm more of a social Darwinist (sans commitment to hard genetic determinism of course); if the people of Africa can't take care of themselves, then mother nature dictates that they die. I'd rather spend the resources on intellectual achievements than trying to stop starvation in a continent that is clearly doomed due to its own incompetence.

The rest of the world proved itself perfectly capable of overcoming oppression and at least of forming infrastructures stable enough to provide their populations with the basic necessities. Asia is doing quite well for itself, and they were horribly oppressed as well.

Though I am for helping the homeless in my own country, simply because I do not wish to live in a society that is overflowing with wealth and still allows its people to die in the streets. (No, I am not a hypocrite because I do not believe in a 'world' society or any such nonsense.) However, intellectual research is the LAST thing that should ever be cut in any circumstances, beside the military in a time of war of course (but even then, the A-bomb probably saved us around a million casualties in our war with Japan.)

Think about it. If everyone had always spent resources on improving people's lives and not on intellectual pursuits then we would still be in the stone age. People are always going to have to suffer. Knowledge comes first.

stan573

Dec 8, 2010
ReiverCorrupter said:
stan573 said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
Ugh. I'd agree with enlightenment values over liberal values any day. I'd place knowledge as a much higher priority than world peace or solving world hunger.

Why?

Because people are going to die. No matter what. Does it really matter all that much? Is the human struggle really just a struggle to prolong our own lives and fill them with pleasurable experiences? I spit on this hedonism that underlies liberal values.

If there is any nobility in human existence it is in our struggle to grow and learn more about the world. If we lose that just so everyone can have their +/-70 years of wretched contentment then I say humanity no longer deserves to exist.

That being said, who cares about space travel? WE CAN'T DO IT PROPERLY RIGHT NOW ANYWAY! WE DON'T HAVE ANTI-GRAVITY OR FASTER THAN LIGHT TRAVEL. HELL WE'RE STILL USING FOSSIL FUELS.

I'm more excited about CERN, genetics, neuroscience, computers and robotics than I am about space travel. It's those things we should be worried about. When I think of all the romantic stuff about the human quest for knowledge I think of a microscope, not a space shuttle.
Oh my god, do you even know what you're saying? NASA is government-funded. Liberals are the ones who push to fund it!

And this is nothing to say of your callous disregard for your fellow human being. I think you're trying to equate 'basic necessities such as shelter' with 'let's all buy each other yachts'.
1) I wasn't talking about the political party. I was talking about the idea that all people should have an equal place in society and that people come first. The vast majority of human beings are completely insignificant. Billions of people have married, had children, worked some job, died and no one remembers their names, or that they even existed.

2) Yup. I do have very little regard for my fellow human being. Look at the potential of the human mind, and then look at what most people do with theirs. If that isn't reason enough to have contempt for them then I don't know what is. I don't care about Africa. I'm more of a social Darwinist (sans commitment to hard genetic determinism of course); if the people of Africa can't take care of themselves, then mother nature dictates that they die. I'd rather spend the resources on intellectual achievements than trying to stop starvation in a continent that is clearly doomed due to its own incompetence.

The rest of the world proved itself perfectly capable of overcoming oppression and at least of forming infrastructures stable enough to provide their populations with the basic necessities. Asia is doing quite well for itself, and they were horribly oppressed as well.

Though I am for helping the homeless in my own country, simply because I do not wish to live in a society that is overflowing with wealth and still allows its people to die in the streets. (No, I am not a hypocrite because I do not believe in a 'world' society or any such nonsense.) However, intellectual research is the LAST thing that should ever be cut in any circumstances, beside the military in a time of war of course (but even then, the A-bomb probably saved us around a million casualties in our war with Japan.)

Think about it. If everyone had always spent resources on improving people's lives and not on intellectual pursuits then we would still be in the stone age. People are always going to have to suffer. Knowledge comes first.
You fucking disgust me. I won't deal with this fucking ignorance anymore.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
stan573 said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
stan573 said:
ReiverCorrupter said:

Why?

You fucking disgust me. I won't deal with this fucking ignorance anymore.
Lulz. 'Moral' people are the easiest to disgusted with those who are 'morally' inferior to them. Seems that now you know something about disgust for your fellow man too. Welcome to the club!

Seniqwa

Aug 2, 2010
Thanks for reminding me about this and ruining what good
mood I had... This kind of stuff makes me want to just
cryogenically freeze myself for 100 or so years, forget
the costs.

Jader7777

Jan 13, 2011
I know your dreams were crushed Bob, but it wasn't realistic or needed. Like that one time I used DNA inside of fossilized sap to bring back dinosaurs on an island... let me tell you some dreams are best left unattained.

yoas3

Nov 18, 2009
Space travel isn't important. That space shuttle is not human achievement, the cure for a disease is. The fact that we still have so many problems on earth like war, starvation, and disease mean we should focus more on that, and not whats happening on mars. By saying we need a space station, a shuttle and a mission, your saying more people in the world need to die.

ArianaUO321

Mar 20, 2010
I'm with you on this one too Bob. I'll take interstellar travel over world peace and an end to human suffering in my lifetime anyday.

Honestly, I think about this often, and it just depresses me more than anything, seeing all sorts of sci-fi things, knowing it could SOMEDAY possibly be reality, and then the depressing realization that I won't live to see it hits me, and I just feel sad.