The Big Picture: Original Geek Girl

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Batman doesn't kill?

<url=http://www.cracked.com/article_20111_the-6-most-brutal-murders-committed-by-batman.html>You would be surprised.

In fact, he burns petty criminals and then have sex on top of them.
God bless Frank Miller.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Excited to see where this run of videos takes us. I've never really known much about Supergirl outside of what happens in Bruce Timm's Superman:TAS and later Justice League. Thanks BOB!
The wikipedia article on Supergirl goes over the precursors of the Kara Zor-El version including

Superwoman aka Lois Lane (first version Action Comics #60 (May 1943); yep they redid this idea several times)

Queen Lucy, Super-Girl - alien girl made to appear to have Superpower via Superboy (Superboy #5 (November?December 1949))

Super-Girl - the magical "helper" created by Jimmy Olsen which true to anything Jimmy does is as much hindrance as help (Superman #123 (August 1958) She looked so much like Kara Zor-El that early reprints changed the color of her hair (red) and costume (orange and green costume)

Claire Kent - Superboy being a chauvinistic jerk gets to live as girl for a while thanks to an equally jerky girl.
(Superboy #78 (Jan 1960))

If you believe that Superman of Earth-1 had all these adventures you can kind of understand his treatment of Kara in the early stories as up to then his experience with superpowered women had been more or less disasters.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
BaronIveagh said:
daxterx2005 said:
Power girl next week?

My body is ready.
ROFL

Yes, I always considered that all "filling the hole" thing a bit complicated
Seriously how can you deflorate Super Girl?
(Or any other near-invincible heroine?)
[oh, yes that thought occurred in my mind and I'm totally bringing it up]
Does she have a piece of criptonite for just such occasion?
Because if bullet can't pierce her flesh, then how penis could do this?

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Wooo Power Girl! She's like Lara Croft except a million times sexier, stronger and has some actual depth. Ok I guess that means she's nothing like Lara Croft...but woot, can't wait to hear more about her next week :)

blackrave said:
Yes, I always considered that all "filling the hole" thing a bit complicated
Seriously how can you deflorate Super Girl?
(Or any other near-invincible heroine?)
[oh, yes that thought occurred in my mind and I'm totally bringing it up]
Does she have a piece of criptonite for just such occasion?
Because if bullet can't pierce her flesh, then how penis could do this?
It can be done with a super penis.

Hannes Martinsson

Dec 23, 2011
The thing people arguing for "fake geek girl" is missing is that the only real problem with the phrase is the girl part. Fake Geeks aka Poseurs exists, yes. This can be annoying, problem is to much of a stretch for me. The problem is that the "Fake Geek Girl" targets only the women.

Now to what I really want to answer.

Anoni Mus said:
Naruto ain't shit.

More enjoyable than Spirit Away or Howl's Moving Castle...
What a nonsense statement. Naruto is aimed at teenage boys (I guess you at least where this when you started watching) while Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Sipirited Away) and Howl no Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) are aimed at kids. That you don't like something not aimed at you means nothing. I happen to have a strong connection to my inner child and therefor can watch children's entertainment and enjoy it, but that is not the standard.

Naruto is still pure tripe story wise, character wise and pacing wise. Go watch Koukaku Kidoutai Stand Alone Complex (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex). It does all three of those things properly. Or if you just really like fighting watch one of the original fighting animes like Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star).

Or you could join the adult crowd and watch some of the more mind blowing stuff out there, some of my favorites are:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena): Sure it's technically for girls but it is some of the deepest stuff ever made.
Serial Experiments Lain: If you are a geek you should watch this, even if you don't like anime watch this.
Neo Genesis Evangelion: If you have not watched this you can not technically call your self a anime geek.

And those three are just my personal favorites, there is a lot of great stuff out there. There are some truly mind blowing anime out there and you are sitting there saying something with no depth is great.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Comics ARE WEIRDDDD!!!
I'm really glad to see another series of these, Bob.
Keep 'em comin' ! :D

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
from the people that I talk to, most of us dont really mind the "FGG"s. Its nice to see new blood (and other assets) and theres awlays a real chance they may want to get into it if tehy find something they like. I mean lets face it, no one comes out of the womb with all the knowledge of nerdism innate.

but then there are... those people, that seem to think the "FGG"s will bring the other "FGG"s (Fake Geek Guys) from the jock sector of the world and they'll overrun the nerdism, immediately make everything about sports and macho men and everything that I guess geeks/nerds hate. and thats usually about as far as I get into the conversation before walking away muttering about sterilization being legal in certain case by case situations.

Hannes Martinsson

Dec 23, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
Hannes Martinsson said:
Anoni Mus said:
Naruto ain't shit.

More enjoyable than Spirit Away or Howl's Moving Castle...
What a nonsense statement. Naruto is aimed at teenage boys (I guess you at least where this when you started watching) while Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Sipirited Away) and Howl no Ugoku Shiro (Howl's Moving Castle) are aimed at kids. That you don't like something not aimed at you means nothing. I happen to have a strong connection to my inner child and therefor can watch children's entertainment and enjoy it, but that is not the standard.

Naruto is still pure tripe story wise, character wise and pacing wise. Go watch Koukaku Kidoutai Stand Alone Complex (Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex). It does all three of those things properly. Or if you just really like fighting watch one of the original fighting animes like Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star).

Or you could join the adult crowd and watch some of the more mind blowing stuff out there, some of my favorites are:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena): Sure it's technically for girls but it is some of the deepest stuff ever made.
Serial Experiments Lain: If you are a geek you should watch this, even if you don't like anime watch this.
Neo Genesis Evangelion: If you have not watched this you can not technically call your self a anime geek.

And those three are just my personal favorites, there is a lot of great stuff out there. There are some truly mind blowing anime out there and you are sitting there saying something with no depth is great.
Relax, I just said that because I don't like Naruto hating, it's actually enjoyable if you exclude the fillers and before Shippuden (shippuden as too much ups and downs). What bothers me is that Naruto despite its flaws is much better than Bleach, and not better than One Piece but more enjoyable because OP pacing is absolutely terrible and watching it weekly is annoying. Despite this Naruto bashing is much more common than the others. Just mentioning shounens of course.

Compared to myiazaki because I find his works overrated :p

I do know a lot about anime, got a long list, but it's still interesting I haven't watched those you mentioned. Ghost in the Shell doesn't look like my type of anime, my brother downloaded it, but it was in English dub and I just watch sub, so I never watched it and never felt like downloading in japanese. Never watched EVA because I hate mechas (only exception so far was code geass). Did watch 3 or 4 episodes of lain, wasn't bad but it wasn't addicting so I started postponing and never finished it.
*Relaxing* I don't know your tastes but I'd say you should give Eva a shot. Just like Code Geass the Mechas are just there to fool the people paying the checks. In Evas case the only way it would get made was if it had mechas so they could make toys to sell. It is really a show about one kid and his serious emotional problems and how he is slowly forced to deal with them (or more exactly it's a very complex author insert so the author can try and deal with his own emotional problems). I like introspective stuff like that.

I still got a problem with Naruto, mostly because it's b grade stuff and some people treat it as the BEST THING EVA! If not for those certain people I would just ignore it like so much other stuff I don't like. More specifically I don't like the creators clear view of women as worthless in any real situation. I dislike when a group of people are treated with a lopsided bad perspective like that. It's something I can overreact on badly.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
Ok, so, here's what I want to know, in regards to "fake" geeks/nerds/obsessive introverts:

What makes a REAL nerd? What converts you from poser to actual thing? People keep mentioning how they'd love to be talking to a lady-nerd-type, but that lady-nerd-type winds up being fake when they don't know "enough" about a topic they're supposed to be familiar with. Like, for example, if I was cosplaying as Kayle from League of Legends, but didn't know a damn thing about how to best play her as solo top on Summoner's Rift (I can tell you how I'd play her solo bottom on Dominion--in fact, I'd love to talk someone's ear off about Dominion, but it doesn't have a ranked mode, so it doesn't count as real), would I be a fake? What if I don't even play ranked? Do I still get to be a League of Legends fan, or should I stop participating in the community (i.e. cosplaying, in this case) because I'm a dirty poser?

I get not liking someone who's there without knowledge and who doesn't want to learn, that's silly. But I don't get not liking someone who's there, but just doesn't know as much as you. Want to scare someone away from an activity? Tell them they need to study that activity, because they will be endlessly berated for not passing a test. They can't know what's on the test, they'll just need to study the material until they know everything about it. And, if this activity relates to another activity, tell them they need to know everything about that activity, too, or they will be endlessly berated for not knowing enough to be in the overarching "activity culture" (and liking a random activity that's part of a larger culture means you're trying to assimilate into that larger culture and therefore should know everything about everything ever. Of all time).

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Anoni Mus said:
Compared to myiazaki because I find his works overrated :p
You have a Che Guevara avatar. Frankly I'm amazed that anyone bothered to respond to your bait, when you've already undermined anything you could possibly have said by having one of those.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

Comics are seriously WIERD!

Seriously, I was watching this whole episode with a WTF look in my face.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Sigh... why do I have to wait Bob? Why? 2 part-ers are ever the double-edged sword.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a lot of good discussion going on here about the "geek girl" phenomenon, but I don't have time to read through it, so I'm just going to throw in my two cents. Gamers and comic/fantasy enthusiasts have traditionally had a hard time melding into society. By establishing a general culture and being able to come together via the internet, conventions, etc., they (or, we, rather) are better able to maintain a sense of self worth, dignity, and validation. The fake nerd is offensive because people like that are merely adopting the superficial trappings of the culture and declaring themselves a part of it. It's comparable to the "gated community gangster" white boys that assume the trappings of rap culture and do the same. The conflate the image with the history of struggling to find self-identity, personal insecurity, and courage to finally accept oneself that is inherent in the actual culture. While I agree that it's nothing to get too butthurt about, it's certainly offensive and irritating, not to mention laughable. But honestly I only know of the phenomenon through memes and some personal acquaintances, and I haven't heard much of the rest of the internet actually talk about it, so my impression may be more unique than most. Either way, the "fake nerd girl" isn't totally harmless.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
punipunipyo said:
Yeah, I was TOTALLY in sync with your view on the whole "Fake Nerd Girl" thing... I was like (the first time I heard this was a "thing"... "WTF? Weren't we supposed to be hella happy, that we ARE the mainstream? That WE are the standard? that WE took over? THat ALL they (the beautiful people) are now wanting to be part of OUR culture?" I still don't get it... it took us years, we finally took over the world... and now we don't want to let the people who can MORE APPROVE us being the majority in? that's just stupid... they now want to crown us, and we cast the crown out the window (not in a Christian way)? weird...
Nope, we didn't take over the world.

Thick framed glasses took over the world. Basic Star Wars trivia took over the world. Online memes took over the world.

Being actually nerdy, as in being obsessed with extensive details of some insignificant hobby, even at the expense of sociability, is just as ridiculed as ever. Except that now the people who kept supporting the bullying and the hate and the arrogance, call themselves "nerds", based on some surface change in fashions. Because now instead of dudebro movies, we have dudebro shooters (and games are nerdy, right?), or because the blockbuster movies have more speculative fiction and less traditional war/police action movies (aliens are nerdy, right?), etc.

Because the youtube vloggers playing up their "nerd girl" appeal are the same ones who would have played up an emo style a few years ago, a punk rocker style two decade ago, and a hippie style half a century ago. Because they tend to be the kind of people who care more about following the trends, than understanding the motivations and behaviors of the subcultures that they represent.

Abandon4093 said:
I can't tell whether people genuinely don't understand why there's a thing about fake nerd girls, or whether they're just pretending not to understand it to come off as understanding or something.

People hate attention whores.

That is all.

No seriously, people complain about attention whores everywhere. If there's a person whoring attention, there will be somebody complaining about it. Add to that the general insecurities of people who actually identify as a 'geek' in a non ironic fashion, and you get 'the fake nerd girl meme/situation/whatever.'

It's really not that hard to understand. And I don't even bloodywell identify myself as a geek/nerd/whatever.
The thing is, that all these bloggers, journalists, opinion leaders, and commentators, who keep bringing up these moral issues, are basically pundits.

They are the pundits of the gamer community, and they make a living from bringing you the latest Moral Panic, even if they have to make one up.

Because "There is this big outrage full of idiots where everyone says this and that exact thing, and now here I tell you why they are all wrong" sells better than "There is a recent discussion theme with various directions, out of which, I vehemently disagree with the sexist implications of Penetrator999's post, and though leto2yay brought up a good point about booth babes being sexist, then nippon-warkiller brought that too far by blaming this on the girls themselves, and while Kafkaesque_Dreamer's justification for nerds' distaste for fakes was spot on, HotForAsuka sounded a bit too elitist as if she would have a superiority complex about how being a True Nerd is better than being other people."

It's just a show. It's supposed to make you feel involved. Make you feel afraid of the barbarians at the gate, about the "outraged masses" obsessively repeating their point, while US, the right ones, are merely "engaging in discourse".