The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Problem is what bob described is PC gaming, you just have the PC in the basement...

That's right, all those remote servers and the like are the same tec as a PC. it's not that the PC is dying, just that they are catching up to the idea that to compete you have to have all the same functionality.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Zhukov said:
Oh dear.

This is going to get ugly.

All I'm going to say here is that it seems kind of... odd that he's putting this video on the Escapist, a site with an unusually high proportion of PC folks.

Also, he's probably right.

Now I'm gonna run before the knives come out.
It will get ugly... all I really have to say is that I personally don't see it as "dead"

RTS games are still going strong (as well as WoW)
there's a CRAP-TON of people on Steam playing PC games
PC's have the BEST community for... pfft everything
Flash games and that facebook crap is going strong

I feel that PC gaming still has a good many years ahead of it
all this being said I wonder how many people just flamed and trolled

on an off note- I DO STILL NEED A COMPUTER FOR EVERYTHING IN SCHOOL!
I'm not joking, if you don't have your own computer and you go to my school you are #%*@ed!

and sense this is already really really long...
honestly people, would you rather play game online, lag-free
or would you prefer to pay $15/month or $60/year to game for 10 minutes then wait a good 5 for host migration... and listen to small kids whining the whole time...

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
PC gaming is dead? Someone might want to tell Blizzard and Valve... they seem to make an insame amount of money off this stuff making extremely high-quality product.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Jim Grim said:
But why would I want to use four different devices to do all this stuff when I could just sit down on my comfy at my computer and do them all on one device?
This. Seriously, you probably should think before you post, TrollBob.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
Another against this argument Bob.

First of all consoles are PC's, not just alike but actually the same as. Then again this can be applied to pretty much every device with a display and a motherboard so that's just clarification. A desktop has a tower block, a screen and an input device (not including macs of course). Your console has a box, a screen and an input device.

You draw an odd line between certain devices, for instance you place laptops separately when what a lap top is is a miniaturised (and normally very buggy) desktop machine with all its external components integrated.
In saying that laptops will be part of what inherits the gaming market, your saying that computers will inherit from computers.

When it comes to portability I don't disagree that everything will become portable, but I do disagree that people will pick up their tv everyday they want to go to work.
Realy its like how your laptop can be a DVD player, you can use it as such but you probably have something which you don't have to unplug, pick up, charge separately, fiddle with, make sure no one sees something their not supposed to see on it (wink) as its so much easier.

From what you said it seems your saying the days of the multi-part device at which I spend the majority of my working day are numbered. And in that I agree but then that's like saying that the 360 will be replaced, its going to happen. Hardware is being constantly swapped out for better models.

Parts manufacturers are going to continue to sell individual parts for their profits at the same time that consumers are going to continue to want a cheaper deal and not have to swap out their entire £500+ machine for a new £500+ every few years.
In this regard I think we can actual expect an increase in easily interchanged modular parts for computing devices, like the 360's removable hard drive.

When it comes to available software I definitely disagree, in fact I would expect to see consoles becoming more and more like desktops and laptops.
In technology you can always expect the following trends, miniaturisation and multi-purpose expansions.
You said all you would need for your 360 is an office package, and I see that happening within the next few years, but then doesn't that make your 360 the same as the desktop? It will be a device purchased for more than one use, making games a secondary function, just like how you describe the desktop.

This is probably starting to ramble, and people are no doubt already bored of reading it so let me close with a summery.

Personal computing devices will continue to advance in hardware.

The range of functions they can perform will continue to increase.

All machines will eventually serve a wide variety of roles, in which entertainment will be but one function.

Stationary personal computers (like your console which will one day finally be able to run open office and not over heat) will be with us for many years to come, they'll just get lighter so if you really want, you can pick it up and walk into lamp posts while you yell at a guy on twitter.

Here's a better title for this one Bob, "Pc Exclusive games are dead" way dead.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
JoshTheater said:
Monsterfurby said:
JoshTheater said:
ZombieGenesis said:
Laptops ARE computers, and I agree laptops will probably replace the box PC. But ...it's still a PC.
I agree completely, and when I talked to MovieBob at PAX East after seeing this video screened there, I pointed this out to him. He clarified that he wasn't referring to laptops and when he said PC, he meant computer tower + monitor.
So, what he is saying is that Desktop PCs as gaming machines are dying?

Well, no shit, Sherlock.
True, but try telling somebody who just spent thousands of dollars on a new Alienware desktop PC that they just invested in outdated technology and see how willing they are to believe it.
True, but anyone who invests thousands of dollars in an alienware machine clearly doesn't have the understanding to defend it anyway. $500 is the most I'd suggest anyone buy a pc for, because at that price you'd be topping consoles in the next generation anyway.

blackguard89

Aug 5, 2010
Even though i felt the "Rage" and wanted to unleash "The Fury" of caps lock.That is probably true.I agree on allot of stuff Bob said.But also take this in considearation.I literally have yet to say someone do the same things I do with my mouse with a controller. Not the Kinnekt and wii, no a normal controller, with no motion sensors.Even though console shooters have the auto aim feature......I say this......It's not making the game more fun.I tried playing COD Black Ops on a console, and with all it's auto aim, and awesome kills I got....It felt......I dunno....Just I felt like a quadruple amputee that can't even touch a mouse and mannually aim the freakin' gun.So yeah.That's why I am opposed to consoles.Yeah the games look alot better, and once you buy a console, you are set for at least around 3 years.While the PC, it's getting upgrades about every 8 months, and even I can't invest serious money in a PC every 8 months.But I still feel like the console is patting me on the back ans saying ......:"Awwwww, poor baby, the players killing you to fast? Here baby have this auto aim".....Actually im not implying that games should mimic reality.But hey I have alot more fun playing Shooters on a PC rather than a console.I have yet to see the day that a Ak47 for example will automatically aim your sight and shoot the bad guys in real life.......Ok bad analogy, but like I said, without the technology of the Wii and Kinect I really won't stand up for console gaming(Except the beat'em up games, and arcade style fighting games).
Seriously, Red steel was a good idea, badly executed, but hey it's a starting point, if I have the posibility to aim myself at the target.....>SUUPER, il scrap my pc and screw PC gaming altoghether :))...But bassically yeah, there's jsut a matter of time :).I eagerly await that time, because the PC can only do so much :|.FOr example why is a PS 2 more capable of proccesing code for FAble 2, and you need the processing power of at least a dual core to run a PS 2 emulator?....>Anyways I dragged on too long...>In conclusion I AGREE WITH BOB....
But I'll only be happy when the technollogy is advanced enough :)

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Void(null) said:
Macrobstar said:
Yeh they show so much love for PC even though it stabbed them in the heart with the pirates and what not, so its not really one generation ahead because it hasn't actually got those graphics, its just one guy saying it could be, and how much better do you think graphics are gonna get?
Am I the only one who reads the articles and news on the Escapist? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107927-Crysis-2-Leak-Not-As-Bad-As-First-Thought]
Yes. You're the only person who reads the articles because 1 person missed 1 article that happens to be relevant to the conversation

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Haha, motion controls as good as a mouse for fps games...

Thanks for a good laugh there. I mean I literally laughed out loud at that part.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
Korey Von Doom said:
I'll fully convert to console when I can aim with a mouse.
thats a major flaw in software, because you already can usb the pc controlls to console

@comment 250: wtf! you never need to upgrade PC, you know games stopped raising the bar when the current consoles settled in?

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
While I agree that PC gaming is dead/dying/circling the drain, I disagree that PC games are still around. I was fortunate enough (i.e. spoiled enough) to have grown up with a foot in both the console and the PC gaming worlds, and at the end of the day PC gaming won big time. Which isn't to say that I didn't have fun playing consoles, it's just that I found the PC gaming experience to be better, and I'm still yet to have a console experience that quite matches it. I dunno, maybe I'm too set in my own ways.

I daresay I will feel a sense of loss when the desktop PC as we know it completely vanishes. I've always found building my next new desktop to be such an immensely satisfying experience, and it's one I'll miss. Yes, it is hours of faffing about with cables and tiny screws, but I'd always be beaming with pride at my latest creation. I'd also feel a sort of distant kinship to the enthusiasts of the '70s, for whom the aforementioned faffing about also involved a soldering iron. Oh, how I'd love to be able to build my own laptop. My nerd muscles would twitch in delight at such an opportunity.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Macrobstar said:
Void(null) said:
Macrobstar said:
Yeh they show so much love for PC even though it stabbed them in the heart with the pirates and what not, so its not really one generation ahead because it hasn't actually got those graphics, its just one guy saying it could be, and how much better do you think graphics are gonna get?
Am I the only one who reads the articles and news on the Escapist? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107927-Crysis-2-Leak-Not-As-Bad-As-First-Thought]
Yes. You're the only person who reads the articles because 1 person missed 1 article that happens to be relevant to the conversation
Because it's totally not a common expression and should absolutely be interpreted literally.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
WOPR said:
Zhukov said:
Oh dear.

This is going to get ugly.

All I'm going to say here is that it seems kind of... odd that he's putting this video on the Escapist, a site with an unusually high proportion of PC folks.

Also, he's probably right.

Now I'm gonna run before the knives come out.

honestly people, would you rather play game online, lag-free
or would you prefer to pay $15/month or $60/year to game for 10 minutes then wait a good 5 for host migration... and listen to small kids whining the whole time...
PS3 is free and lag is dependant on your internet connection...

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Actually, i've seen console fanboys make quite a lot of threads to declare PC gaming is dead. With every console generation.

Well alright, quite a few things have changed since then, like the Graphics. There wont be a graphical quantum leap like we experienced in the past with a new console generation. Graphics will no longer be the driving force.
Xbox 360 and PS3 have visuals so good that People wont fork over the money to buy a new console.

PCs that can be used for gaming are getting cheaper and cheaper. Today, you can buy Parts for a computer from ebay to build a computer that performs just as well as the PS3, even when the game you want to play is a rather bad port. Like GTA4. Look at actions for something equivalent to a 8800 geforce (didn't test it with radeon, sorry) and you'll have a PC that will play games faster then the PS3 can with the same resolution and the same graphical effects the PS3 can do. For less money. A good monitor costs less then a bad HDTV but you can hook up the PC to the TV if you want to.
except for Achievements, you can do pretty much everything with a PC that you can do with a console.
Well, motion controls aren't really there yet, but we have a wii for that.

So one of the Reasons to buy a console instead of the gaming has less and less meaning now and will vanish completely eventually, the Price.

Moving on: Stable, easy to access consoles and games.
I do hope kinect and Move are the only accessories that the big companies will throw out, other wise the consoles will lose that advantage. robust consoles where a thing of yesteryear. My gaming PC has actually less crashes then most consoles i know and it certainly wont break down like some consoles.

Once i install the PC and games on it, i can play most games by clicking on the icon once. I don't even have to lift my giant ass off my sofa to get the DVD.
PC gaming, once you got everything up and running, can be easier then console gaming.

granted, buying the parts, building the PC and installing OS and all the games, followed by noDVD patches is a big hassle.
But frankly, i'd rather built the thing myself. Should i rather microsoft or Sony who failed so badly? My own cooling system may be larger, but i can hardly hear it and it actually works.

So now i have a PC that can easily outrun any console, runs smoother and with less crashes then quite a lot of consoles (i don't know how many exactly, i didn't test that many consoles) and runs more silently then about half the Wiis i've seen.

It did cost quite a lot of money back then, but prices in the PC market are dropping faster then in the console market.

I mentioned ebay earlier. The reason for that is simple: if you want to build a PC that is "just" fast enough to do whatever PS3 and xbox 360 can do, you can't buy the components new anymore.

The Point being: PC gaming as it is today isn't dying. The PC isn't dying either since you can do anything with it, even build a smaller PC. Barebone cases aren't that large. Infact, my Copier is by far larger then most computers. Well, not mine since i don't like having just one tiny harddrive like in the consoles, i'd rather have six.

PC Gaming and the PC is far from death, since everyone still needs one, even if its just for open office. They are here to say for the time being, at least until someone invents holographic displays and haptic holographic interfaces and we're typing or otherwise conveying information to the machine.
And when you buy the cheapest PC now, you will have a machine fast enough to play modern games.
We have a lot of PCs capable of running modern games. Why buy a console if you already have a machine that can run World of Mass hero or whatever game you'd like to play? To be able to sit on the couch while playing? I do that already.

The consoles are easier to set up and if you don't want to build a PC, they're cheaper as well.
But i don't think *that* many people will abandon PC gaming altogether in favor of the consoles.

I paint a pretty bleak Picture of PC gaming: no more exclusives for PC, everyone develops for consoles and PC versions get thrown out later. But i don't see PC gaming dying yet, since you can save a couple of bucks here.

If the big Companies continue to put out consoles that wont last as long as my last PC because they buildquality is beyond bad (even the wii is guilty) i can even see people coming back to the PC again.

One might be annoyed about the late releases for PCs, but the wait isn't even half the time the game would need for bug fixing. It would be nice to get the releases earlier so that quite a lot of Coders can pick up the slack but i'm willing to wait. PC Gaming pretty much brought us bugs in games, now the consoles have them too.

I'll cut myself short here.

Moviebobs little rant was missing several Key Points and the arguments weren't substantial.
This Episode was useless.

meloen3

Sep 21, 2009
hi, im a student on a school of game design in holland. and i've come to tell you, you couldn't be more wrong. it all depents on the people you hang around with. the only reason the consoles are fairing better is because games are released on them first, and not pirated as much. shooters are not meant for consoles btw, because consoles ruin the games by not being reaction time based.

i never understood, why would you buy so much crap when a computer can do it all so much better without limitations or extra money wasted each month?

PixelJunk

Jun 28, 2010
Dear MovieBob,

I rather enjoy your rants but you seem to not understand a simple but nearly immutable concept within the area of technology. Any computer scientist or tech engineer worth their weight will tell you this as well. Technology does not "converge", technology "diverges". We don't do fusion reactors with fission reactors...We don't blend hydrocarbons with deuterium.... The immutable laws of thermodynamics would like to have a word with you... And believe me they will spit you out before you can blink. If you have a concept of getting an EROEI, the feasability and versatility of a PC which have the best EROEI cumulative return ratio of any man made device hands down, is not something you just wash aside. For everything that a PC takes it gives back ten fold. No proprietary device will ever be able to match it so long as it is proprietary.

You say the PC is dying? Consoles try every generation to emulate the power and versatility of the PC and you claim with utter certainty that the PC will die? Mobile devices try this as well and fail in their price marks. I think it is you who is delusional. For barebones prices "price tags even lower than what a console or other device will charge you" you can get a rig that can break down an iphone with Python code in a matter of seconds. You say the PC is dying? MovieBob you have little understanding of technology, physics, computer science, and most importantly the spirit of open source initiative.

You honestly believe proprietary devices can stand up to the laws of thermodynamics.

I pity you.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Void(null) said:
I want it too, and I want that release date to be true.

:(
Waitwaitwait... what?!

Oh Jesus Christ on hot buttered toast, there's an actual release date?

Please tell me. Please tell me right now.