The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
Jim Grim said:
But why would I want to use four different devices to do all this stuff when I could just sit down on my comfy chair at my computer and do them all on one device?
Why indeed... Let's just run down the list:
*snip*
I'm not convinced your lifestyle is typical.
I suspect most people live in their house and commute to work each day, and have little opportunity or need or money for multiple devices. I guess the question should have been 'why would people en mass shift from stationary to portable devices for gaming?'. And they won't.

PC's as they exist today will be around for a long while because desks, large screens, big keyboards and mice are not outdated technological tropes; they are desirable for every kind of comfort - viewing, usage/input and spatial. And assuming our culture is becoming more technologically literate, which is likely the case, customisation will always be desired as well. So that's the big tower off the hook.

SensibleCrout said:
Keyboards and mice do not sell well for consoles and the simple reason for this is that console gamers do not sit at tables. They sit on sofas.
Quite! Consoles are based around televisions, and televisions are central to family sofa collectives, not at areas suitable for PC input devices.

Schiff

Mar 18, 2011
Strangely the bob guy doesn't talk about laptops or stuff like the Razer Switchblade. And that should be enough. But he doesn't even talk about games in general and brings up only b2p stuff, not even trying to mention (f2p) online games (some of them like Huxley and Vindictus were meant to be console games). Speaking of possibilities he doesn't even talk about what you are allowed to do with your consoles and what you can do with pc in general (never heard of geohot?) which should suggests the control they put on what's supposed to be our stuff. Idk, bob. Why you do this?

I also assume this went into a pc vs console war. Well, unless you play just a few games, pc gaming is cheaper believe it or not. On one hand there are Steam deals (30 milions of users if i remember right) selling games for $5. On the other one there are free to play games like: APB Reloaded,Battery Artic Winds,Continent of the Ninth,Core Blaze,Dizzel,Dragon Nest,F.E.A.R. Combat,Firefall,GenesisAD,Gunz,Hessian,Huxley,Metal rage,MetroConflict,Raiderz,Vindictus and much more on steparu's yotube channel.
Btw a $700 pc built on some online shops like newegg, selling the radeon hd 5770 card, will allow you to play all games out there at max details and good (but not the highest) res. Such pc will last some years, and considering all the stuff you can get from a pc it's worth the money. Especially since on console you pay for almost everything. It's not just about surfing the internet, it's about doing everything and mostly for free.
In case you need help there are a lot of people out there willing to help you, as if we are talking about a free service:
http://www.google.it/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ait%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=it&source=hp&q=ati+radeon+hd+5770+%24700+pc&meta=&btnG=Cerca+con+Google

As you can see even google is enough to show how much pc gaming is cheaper, better and even more accesible than console gaming. It's just no1 tells you to use google and ask help. There's also something to say about windows8 which will be built around pc gaming (maybe just way more friendly user?) and how doubtful this view of console gaming as social is. Each one of us knows like 50 or 100 people in our own community, and all i've seen regarding the social aspect of console gaming is kids raging over their own brothers because they don't want to stop playing a game.

sry for my bad english, i'm from EU

smartengine

Mar 23, 2010
As long as there are people like me, who don't have enough motor skills to coordinate their thumbs, PC games will sell.

Schiff

Mar 18, 2011
smartengine said:
As long as there are people like me, who don't have enough motor skills to coordinate their thumbs, PC games will sell.
talking about games meant to be playble on pads, sensitivity is reduced and all movements are limited and slow paced. That?s one of the reasons there are so many fps?s, while many tps games have a cover system which doesn?t let players to be free to do what they want. You can?t even jump. Gears of war is so slow paced it could be a fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhjtSY-nxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9gWNMgrEfA

not even Vanquish gives such freedom

Reosoul

Sep 12, 2009
I hate it when Moviebob talks about games. He knows he's a Mario fanboy, we know he's a Mario fanboy, and he just won't give it up. He is about as well connected to the gaming scene as EA is to marketing with integrity.

BOB- STOP MAKING GAME EPISODES. STOP.

Leave that crap for the Game Overthinker, but if you must, don't try to pitch up a flame war. You were right for thinking people were going to be unhappy about this.

Also, your mother's a whore.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
Doug said:
Generic Gamer said:
In addition I'd like to thank Moviebob for using his normal argument technique:

"If you disagree with me it's because you're bad, not because I may be wrong."
I have to admit, I've got off MovieBob over the last year, which is a shame as I used to like the GameOverthinker. This is partly the reason.
I actually like the Game Overthinker videos but I hate how he stereotypes his opponents. It's kind of like 'here's my opinion and I may be wrong...but if you say so you're a homophobic jock'. Frankly I don't (as horrible as it sounds) think he's a particularly nice guy, if I was around him I think I'd dislike him.
That pretty much sums it up - he's gone too far into the 'if you disagree, you are a jock homophobe' area; Ok, he doesn't have to like Halo, but bitching about it every week just gets tiresome after awhile. As does his Nintendo unconditional love.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I don't think MMO's would be good on a console.
PC Gaming will have its low points but it'll never die.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
For once Bob, couldn't agree more.

Don't get me wrong I do acknowledge there is a lot to like about PC gaming, although I'm not a PC gamer myself (that's just because I'm useless with a keyboard and mouse and have never really owned a PC than can support games properly). But lets face it, as soon as consoles can match PC's for graphic capability their will be next to no reason to play a game on your 12 inch PC screen when you have a 40 inch TV downstairs.
Two things:
A. By definition, consoles can not be "caught up" with PCs for more than a few months.
B. There's nothing wrong with my 28" monitor that I shelled out $250 for. No one games on a 12" screen anymore.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Reosoul said:
I hate it when Moviebob talks about games. He knows he's a Mario fanboy, we know he's a Mario fanboy, and he just won't give it up. He is about as well connected to the gaming scene as EA is to marketing with integrity.

BOB- STOP MAKING GAME EPISODES. STOP.

Leave that crap for the Game Overthinker, but if you must, don't try to pitch up a flame war. You were right for thinking people were going to be unhappy about this.

Also, your mother's a whore.
This made me laugh. Thanks.

LulzOdin

Mar 15, 2011
I will give one reason why PC games will never die. That would be Mods.
I would ask a console gamer, what would you do if you have finished a game that you like very much but still wished you had more content. My guess is you would look for a DLC that you have to buy.
Me I just had to open the internet, type "*insert game here* mods" and i have delved in to the epic ocean for FREE custom content, and most are not amateur or shabby mind you.
I will give you an example. Ask any guy that has play Medieval 2 Total War about creating custom content and you will be surprised as to how much they know about the source files and developing. They will give you detailed instructions in skinning, modeling, scripting, hell even changing the mechanics.
That sort of community is there, it doesn't make much sound because they have nothing to raise their voice about about. The PC gaming community may not be whiny, but believe me when I say it is numerous, and increasing by the day. The expensive DLCs that work for nothing but a cheap marketing ploy that further antagonizes people who pay for 60 bucks a game and find they have to pay much more to get their money's worth has a role in that as well.

isnosche

Oct 4, 2010
I own a WII, PS3 and a xbox360 (actual several), and a zillion games for them and they sit there.
Here in house my 23' eyefinity monster romas and the consoles cower in fear.
All kidding aside, nothing beats a pc at gaming. the day a console plays 5760 * 1080
i'll reconsider and still y h2o powerhouse will laugh in its face XD

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
So this means that PC is dying? I don't understand this? Isin't this the consoles dying? Since all consoles will just become PCs? Or is it just up to what it is marketed as? If consoles "overthrow" pc gaming, then the manufactuarers will just call all PC parts "console moduldes" and PCs will be PCs just with some name stamped onto them.

isnosche

Oct 4, 2010
brainless_fps_player said:
Excuse me, but am I the only one that neither has the time nor the inclination to buy a new fucking computer every time a new game is released?

Seriously, why is it my computer, which wasn't cheap or old, can only handle games from five years ago.

And how come playing online is such a hassle to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of patches, downloads and upgrades?

Consoles are dedicated gaming machines which makes them better for gaming. Yeah, they can't do RTS, but neither can my computer, so what the hell.

Well done, Bob. Right on the money. Computers as we know them are going to die. May the consoles, I phones and laptops (yes they are different to computers, smart asses) soon replace them.
Good luck playing Games on a 5 year old laptop instead of a tower model /facepalms
if you like the resolution of your console ps3 & xbox360 1280x720 (no AA) if yer lucky.
Then more power to you good sir ...
I like to play my games accros 3 screens at near 5 times that resolution

Schiff

Mar 18, 2011
AvauntVanguard said:
I don't think MMO's would be good on a console.
PC Gaming will have its low points but it'll never die.
there's a mmoRPG called Blade & Soul which is (or maybe was) supposed to come out for consoles too. But the problem is it's not free to play. You'll never get a free to play mmo. Consoles live up thnx to $70 games and making ppl pay on everything they can sell. It's the biggest doom in the short history of gaming. How can people pay even for demos? Looking at you, EA.
Nevermind. I'll just say piracy actually promotes "free to play" gaming, which is the most popular form of low cost-entertainment (since nobody needs $1000 pc to play) in countries like china, korea... and basically anywhere (no wonder why anyone talks about non mainstream stuff). It's so popular there it tries to fight back console gaming cloning gameplay mechanics from popular b2p games. And ofc mods etc are avaiable there, if the game is good.
Some examples of clones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUUjbtvVlmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rfkoiMv_qo
or more action oriented stuff regarding the auto targeting system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0daOxS_DA

+ all the stuff i posted above

flying_gazzelle

Apr 4, 2010
My problem with PC Gaming is that there are so god damned few exclusives!
I mean, honestly, look at this list of exclusives!
http://www.pcgamingfan.com/?page_id=719
And it's not exactly like it'll get better when new studios that are being set up, are set up.
PC Gaming is just plain dead.

Liiizard

Feb 5, 2010
I can't wait to see what happens when phones become as fast as most modern PCs. The Atrix already has an accessory that turns it into a laptop - just a matter of time before our phones become our PCs. And I can't wait until I can play Starcraft 2 on my phone, and pwn my brother anywhere, anytime in that game. Kekekeke ^_^

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
This episode goes way off on a tangent and is not nearly as much about pc gaming as it is about the evolution of personal computing in general. It's clear to me that Bob only called this "PC gaming is dead" for cheap views.

I also think Bob underestimates the power of the PC.
Like he says, many things can do things that the pc can do, like word processing on tablets or gaming on consoles, but none of those has surpassed PC in terms of quality yet. Video editing is still the best on a PC, Music editing, Even creating games is still all done best with the PC. Yes, you can do those things on other mediums, but no medium has matched the quality that PC does them. Part of that has to do with the limits of said "other mediums". PC is virtually limitless, you have tons of customization options, and you can work any way you want.
I say PC will still dominate personal computing and gaming until some other medium can DO IT BETTER. I mean what kind of an argument for console gaming is that "it can do some of the things PC can do" and "it has some of the genres that PC has"? It's just silly.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
Kouryuu said:
I forgot said:
I feel like no one even really listened when they watched this video. Everyone is getting caught up in how PC gaming is supposively booming or that tablets and laptops are also PCs when the argument is that having a huge system unit and monitor that goes in a separate cabinet and desk will become obsolete. Why do I need a stationary device with it's own desk when my laptop can do the same thing plus anywhere I want? And with technology advancing at an exponential rate, you can't use the argument that you need the extra power a desktop PC offers because, unless you're making movies for Pixar, what do you need that much power for?
If power is not important just go back to the first Ps or the xbox, why do you have to have the new generation consoles? the only difference between them and the previos generation is pover, and things you can do elsewhere.
Just go online, look at some videos of the latest games and compare the PC and the console versions, then try to make the same argument.
your post is barely relevant to what I said. I didn't say power isn't important but that we only need so much power for a PC and with technology advancing at such a rate we'll be able to do it all on a laptop so there's no need for a PC to have it's own cabinet and desk unless you're rendering the special effects to the sequel to Avatar.