The Big Picture: Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
GamingBlaze said:
How is someone getting electrocuted while naked in the bath sexual?If you find that a turn on then that's....unfortunate.
I stuck my nose in his post, so I feel compelled to stick my nose in your response. Something being sexual does not automatically equate with being a turn on. One can appreciate that a work is intended to be sexually exciting and not find it exciting themselves. As to whether this particular image was intended to be sexually exciting, I can't say. I don't find it sexually exciting, but I am positive some people do. I can certainly see why someone might think this image is meant to convey a dark sexual tone. Doesn't matter much to me though simply because even if it was meant to carry such a tone wouldn't make it problematic.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
Mythmaker said:
Does anyone here actually take Bob seriously when it comes to video games? Maybe he says some few things that you agree with, but does anyone actually respect his opinion on this subject?

I don't. Frankly, he should stick to what he's good at, at least with this show.
Nope, he's a man-child with a soapbox no different from Dobson or Christian Weston Chandler. Video games and social issues are not his thing especially when he sweeps aside PC gaming as a whole and his only social interaction between conventions and panels is getting a hotpocket from his local 7/11 and a mumbled "hi..." to his delivery man.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Anita would like to see a trend that exists in gaming not exist, and the only extent that she has done to do this is, well, criticize (hence "critic") the trend. She doesn't say somebody is sexist for liking them, she doesn't say developers are sexist for making them, she doesn't even say that they're bad games.
Errrmm yes she does. She states multiple times that they change and influence people and i quote " the more you think you wont be affected the more likely you are to be effected" that's not what a critic would say , she is not a games critic its simply an outlet for her political view same as Thompson.

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Oh wow, Thunderf00t. Yeah, that guy's a total idiot. This is just one of the many ways in which he utterly fails.

TyphonNotMe

Oct 20, 2014
I respect what Bob was going for here about symbols needing to be more representative of current figures, but I had no idea who this guy was until about a minute ago. That may just be a perk of living in New Zealand though.

Is he somehow important again in the US? Has he done something new?

I can somewhat see the connection to gamergate, but I think I'll stick to my view of it so far and just go back to playing games. I don't need my time wasted while people fight among themselves and make all gamers look bad.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
GamingBlaze said:
Gorrath said:
GamingBlaze said:
How is someone getting electrocuted while naked in the bath sexual?If you find that a turn on then that's....unfortunate.
I stuck my nose in his post, so I feel compelled to stick my nose in your response. Something being sexual does not automatically equate with being a turn on. One can appreciate that a work is intended to be sexually exciting and not find it exciting themselves. As to whether this particular image was intended to be sexually exciting, I can't say. I don't find it sexually exciting, but I am positive some people do. I can certainly see why someone might think this image is meant to convey a dark sexual tone. Doesn't matter much to me though simply because even if it was meant to carry such a tone wouldn't make it problematic.
Different strokes for different blokes I guess,someone getting fried to death just seems like a weird thing to call sexualized if you ask me.
The presence of a female body with barely covered naughty bits MAKES it sexualized. That is how sexualization WORKS, by introducing titillating elements into a scene that would otherwise not be considered even remotely sexual. This is especially obvious in this picture where the fact that the woman is dead is secondary information compared to the fact that she is naked. She has no obvious wounds or is put in a position where it is obvious that she is not well (compare to the other two ads for reference). The image as a whole is clearly designed to make the viewer go "hot" rather than "ew, dead body". Whether or not someone FINDS the sight of a dead body sexy is a completely different matter.

Mahha

May 20, 2009
How exactly are unfounded claims that games cause violence different from unfounded claims that games cause misogyny?

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Mahha said:
How exactly are unfounded claims that games cause violence different from unfounded claims that games cause misogyny?
Well, for starters one actualy happened while the other one is a complete misrepresentation/outright lie.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
itsmeyouidiot said:
Oh wow, Thunderf00t. Yeah, that guy's a total idiot. This is just one of the many ways in which he utterly fails.

That was... pretty terrible. Ignoring the bad audio and the bad video, his arguments where pretty terrible. He basically just called f00t an asshole and criticized tropes for existing. With how low quality it is and how few views it has, this almost feels like a case of self advertising. The video was a waste of time, and will doesn't merit a response.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Silverspetz said:
Mahha said:
Well, for starters one actualy happened while the other one is a complete misrepresentation/outright lie.
They are both unfounded, though, with no evidence supporting either and plenty of evidence countering both.

The only real difference between the two is that Anita doesn't try to make her tone sound as crazy as Thomson (though her message is just as crazy) and that she's a woman. I'd almost go so far as to call the support of her by the gaming media a case of systemic sexism if it wasn't for how ideologically driving it was.

TyphonNotMe

Oct 20, 2014
GamingBlaze said:
TyphonNotMe said:
I respect what Bob was going for here about symbols needing to be more representative of current figures, but I had no idea who this guy was until about a minute ago. That may just be a perk of living in New Zealand though.

Is he somehow important again in the US? Has he done something new?

I can somewhat see the connection to gamergate, but I think I'll stick to my view of it so far and just go back to playing games. I don't need my time wasted while people fight among themselves and make all gamers look bad.
Jack Thompson is a former lawyer who tried to argue that video games cause violence and then attempted to get them pull off the shelves.He got disbarred as a result.
Thanks friend, he sounds like an undesirable. Its interesting we don't get people like that in the public eye here. We have very few if any game restrictions. I think the last game that was banned here was Manhunt. Australia seems to be plagued with them, missing out at least for a while on Fallout 3 and Saints Row.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
The_Kodu said:
Them being dead is in reality not the important detail in the pictures.

As for Anita Being wrong on one example.

Anyone that actually uses a Thunderf00t video as "evidence" is probably not going to be taken seriously. When the man makes a video titled "Feminism poisons everything" there is no real logic there. No real discussion is wanting to be had. He's not the best person to go to. For any of this stuff. Like at all.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Zontar said:
Silverspetz said:
Mahha said:
They are both unfounded, though, with no evidence supporting either and plenty of evidence countering both.

The only real difference between the two is that Anita doesn't try to make her tone sound as crazy as Thomson (though her message is just as crazy) and that she's a woman. I'd almost go so far as to call the support of her by the gaming media a case of systemic sexism if it wasn't for how ideologically driving it was.
How can a position that never once existed be "unfounded"? Anita has never claimed that games cause violence or misogyny, and her craziest suggestion basically amounts to "let's try to move away from these tropes". It is exactly this overblown hyperbole you people keep feeding that makes you so easy to debunk.