The Big Picture: Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
GamingBlaze said:
I think this whole mess doesn't need any more attention than it already gets.
Which whole mess? Gamergate? Well, you can ignore it and hope it goes away, but personally I think ignoring a problem is only kicking the can down the road for someone else to deal with. No, I think putting the spotlight on the problems at large the 'gaming community' has is something that we should be addressing.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
GamingBlaze said:
Silverspetz said:
GamingBlaze said:
Silverspetz said:
Zontar said:
Silverspetz said:
Zontar said:
Silverspetz said:
Mahha said:
How exactly are unfounded claims that games cause violence different from unfounded claims that games cause misogyny?
Well, for starters one actualy happened while the other one is a complete misrepresentation/outright lie.
They are both unfounded, though, with no evidence supporting either and plenty of evidence countering both.

The only real difference between the two is that Anita doesn't try to make her tone sound as crazy as Thomson (though her message is just as crazy) and that she's a woman. I'd almost go so far as to call the support of her by the gaming media a case of systemic sexism if it wasn't for how ideologically driving it was.
How can a position that never once existed be "unfounded"? Anita has never claimed that games cause violence or misogyny, and her craziest suggestion basically amounts to "let's try to move away from these tropes". It is exactly this overblown hyperbole you people keep feeding that makes you so easy to debunk.
She actually does stated that games cause, or at least promote, misogyny. If she message is anything other then that, well then it's bad writing on Macintosh's part. Words have meanings, using them in some ways has implications, and saying media effects the way we think, that those who don't think it does are more susceptible to suggestion from it, and that they are in fact misogynistic, then yes, she IS stating they make people misogynists. If it isn't her intent Mac needs to learn to write better.
Yeah, no. Saying that media can affect the way we view things and saying that they outright CAUSE certain behaviors are as different as night and day. Anita is of the opinion that the current trends in video-games are a reflection of sexist trends within society, and that continuing these tropes further normalizes the harmful trends, not that they cause them. Comparing the two is far more ignorant, dishonest and/or sensationalist than anything she has ever said. It is a FACT that seeing something more often makes us less likely to think about it. It is FICTION that seeing something often makes us more likely to imitate it.
There have been countless arguments saying how violence in video games causes people to be desensitized to it.Which is exactly the message Anita is trying to convey,that sexist tropes in games and women being treated as objects can lead to players not really giving it any thought.

How are the two arguments not different?
Because becoming less observant of certain bad trends and actively partaking in them are two widely different things. How is that I have to explain something THAT simple to you people.
People actively partake in sexist tropes all the time without realizing it.That game you're playing where all the female characters are barely dressed?You're partaking in the objectification of women.

Now how is that not simple to understand?
Now you are just pushing semantics. You know damn well that I meant that people don't start doing sexist things because of games. Not thinking about something and becoming desensitized to them are also two different things BTW. One suggest that one starts thinking it is "ok" to engage in violent behavior while the other one merely suggest that people might not see certain acts as violent or sexist because they happen all the time. Jack Thombsson suggested that playing GTA makes people buy guns and shoot up schools, Anita Sarkeesian suggests that being bombared with constant reinforcements of negative stereotypes makes people less likely to speak out against those stereotypes. THAT is how the two arguments are different.

Jaytr13

Apr 17, 2014
Really Bob? Anita's nothing more than a modern media critic? well I don't see that. I see a fake gamer feminist who couldn't name three games on the Colbert Report. She used GTA as her sole example, a game where, if you wanted to, could probably go the entire game without assaulting a woman, as her cop-out example.

I see nothing more than a feminist trying to co-opt our favorite medium for her feminist agenda. She's not a journalist people, she's just a woman with a bunch of buzzwords and scripts, whose been given a voice by stuff like twitter and tumblr and social media. As long as we keep paying attention to people like her and not throwing facts at her dumb arguments, Ms. "I'm not going to enact the labor of explaining to you" Suey Park and Ms. Sarkisian will still be around.

Just like it's been said before, gaming is not a joke anymore. Our first job as showing we care about our medium is standing up for what we believe and say "NO, we like things the way they are, there are plenty of strong female protagonists, just not suited towards you, feminist." Stuff like that. Because, this is not the feminists medium, it's OURS.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
GamingBlaze said:
Sure,but this entire Gamer Gate thing has shown there are problems in the entire industry from gaming journalism to well known gaming personalities to the gaming community.It's all so pathetic really and the spotlight should be put on everyone involved.
I'm all for addressing actual concerns with ethics in journalism, but not under a banner that started as harassment against women. The thing though is that one of gg's biggest complaints, the lack of 'objective game reviews', is nonsense. A reviewer making social criticism of a game has zero to do with a breach of ethics. GG has done great things though at reaffirming preconceptions about the stereotype of the angry, socially inept basement dweller outsiders have of the average gamer though, I'll give them that.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
The_Kodu said:
KazeAizen said:
The_Kodu said:
Them being dead is in reality not the important detail in the pictures.

As for Anita Being wrong on one example.

Anyone that actually uses a Thunderf00t video as "evidence" is probably not going to be taken seriously. When the man makes a video titled "Feminism poisons everything" there is no real logic there. No real discussion is wanting to be had. He's not the best person to go to. For any of this stuff. Like at all.
So you're saying you don't bother to judge a the validity of a point on the point itself but the person making it and if you agree with enough of their other points of view ?

Am I right in that ?

Or was that just an accidental ad hominem attack there sneaking out ?
This is not necessarily a logical fallacy. But a legit counter argument. Using Thunderf00t's video to make your point is an implicit appeal to authority. The response is that this person is not an authority on the subject and the evidence being other statements he has made on the topic and related topics is fair. It is just questioning the credentials and credibility of the source. If he/she had said, you can't use Thunderf00t because he is an asshole then that would have just been ad hominem.

Sorry, I am a bit of a philosophy and logic geek.

As a side; even if we accept that Thunderf00t is not an authority on the topic. It doesn't mean that he is wrong, just that citing him is not strong evidence one way or the other.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
Anyways, the reason I didn't bother to finish the quote is because the rest of what she said wasn't relevant.
It was more you didn't provide an actual quote at all.

Because in the statement "When a woman does anything" implies a distinct difference than "When a man does anything"
When someone who crusades for gender equality uses language that implies that she does not care about gender equality she comes off as being full of crap.
Or they acknoledge the current state of the real world where men and women experience different things, are forced under differing stereotypical conditions by society, etc...

You can't talk about sexism being bad if you believe the gender of the subject has an effect on the connotation of the exact same action.
...sexism is based on gender and how it affects us...
I'm not sure I see the relevance of that.
Yes, that is true
The relevance is that you said that one cannot claim sexism if they believe gender effects how people, or events, are perceived.

That is patently ludicrous and fundamentally misunderstands sexism.

The point is that Anita Sarkeesian is pro sexism. She is anti-misogyny. Which is specific to woman.
The between-the-lines theme of all her videos is that men are inherently misogynistic, and that every shirt skirt and side boob was put there by a mustache twirling woman hater for the express purpose of keeping women down.
Ah, yes, the "You're the real racist/sexist" argument.

Firstly, just because anti-misogyny is "specific to women" does not mean that it's somehow "sexist" which, again, comes from your lack of understanding what sexism actually is.

Secondly, no, over all these videos and analyses, I have never gotten the impression nor have I ever seen any evidence that shows this supposed "men are inherently misogynistic" viewpoint.

Thirdly, she has never specifically gone after individual, personal developers nor has she ever stated, or suggested, that the developers are intentionally or inherently misogynistic. She does state that developers and content creators often use these sorts of tropes because of laziness or lac which is totally true and several developers have supported this statement.

That's what her message comes off as filtered through her biases.
She looks at overused archetypes and sees "representation of all women" That's the foundation of the whole TVW series is.
She cherry picks her examples and uses tricks of language bordering on logical fallacies to subtly reinforce her viewpoint.
1) Providing examples is not "cherry picking"
2) She never even suggests that these are representations of "all" women.
3) Yes, they are overused archetypes. That's a major portion of her point.

Or such a basic story telling tool like "The bad guy does something bad, and warp that to make video games look sexist and the worst part is that people fall for it.
It's this type of thinking on what stories tell us that prevents us from being able to actually intellectually analyze our media. Essentially, you're suggesting all critics be out of a job because they're just "warping" a simple story of "guy tries to get suitcase full of valuables" (Pulp Fiction) or "Guy saves a bunch of Jews" (Schindler's List) to mean something that they supposedly aren't.

I made a mistake it wasn't about GTA it was about Sleeping Dogs. In the first part of "women as background decorations" and it starts 17:47
"In many open world or sand box style games developers construct their virtual worlds in such a way as to enable players to directly abuse nonplayable sex objects"
So tell me again how she never said that?
1) My original point remains unaffected. She never stated that that game had women just to "give something pretty to shoot at"
2) Her point is still valid. All she stated was that players are able to directly abuse sexualized NPCs. Do you think when she says "players" that she's specifically refering to you? Or the concept of the player?

And there's more from that video 8:25 when she says "We need to consider the 'fact' that players are 'encouraged' to participate directly in the objectification of women"
What's wrong with that statement? She was making a statement on the differences in interactivity between passive media like film with interactive media like games. Often times players are encouraged to participate in certain actions because, you know, they're interactive.

or 10:00 when she says "These active viewing mechanics encourage players to collaborate with developers in sexual objectification... blah blah blah"
She literally provides an example of the developer explicitly leaving a box for the player to hide in, which conviniently lets you look up on the women. There are several more exmaples of this throughout her video.

And all of this still doesn't prove your original statement.

How 'bout 16:10
"When men are depicted using female npc's as tools or commodities" I'll continue with the quote but do you see how she said "men" and "female npc's"
She's putting arbitrary gender divides into her speech
She is the one doing the dehumanizing.
How is it "arbitrary"? It's literally what happens. There are far more male protagonists/playable characters, which is what she was refering to, and they are often portrayed as dominating or using female NPC's as tools, often in a sexual way.

You're basically trying to say that "gender doesn't matter" when it clearly does. It's attempting the "I don't see color" argument when it comes to race, completely ignoring the very real effect that race has on us. This is why I feel more secure in my assessment of you not understanding sexism when trying to go for the "You're the real sexist" claim.

"Their actions are portrayed as part of what makes them powerful"
and that's bullshit for lots of reasons most obviously of which adding a mechanic that makes a male character reliant on a female character for health and stat buffs portrays them as weak not powerful.
The only instance I can think of that does this is Bioshock: Infinite, and even then that's disengenuous at best. Are you seriously saying that game protagonists, who are often male, are not portrayed as powerful, individual beings with agency? Because they occasionally need help?

Third she's not personifying the female character at all.
If she assumes the male gets a feeling of power from sleeping with the female, how can she not assume that the female gets something equal out of it?
Because the female in that interaction rarely gets any characterization regardless, and the game is rarely designed to give perspective on the female character's interaction.

She does a lot of talking down to whores in those videos. but women can like sex, if women didn't like sex there wouldn't be nearly as many humans. She says a lot of things that imply that female video game characters have no agency, and a lot of things that imply that male video game characters do have agency.
She is not "talking down to whores", nor is she shaming women for liking sex. Everything she is referencing is what other people do to those women, what the media creators have inputted into these games. These types of portrayals of women are rarely in control or shown to have agency, or portrayed in ways to specifical evoke titilation, "edgy-ness", or other lazy ways to bring "life" to the world. She is not talking about these women. She is talking about how and why they are portrayed the way they are.