The Big Picture: Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
As a Brit, the hell happened America? There is bile against video games here, but no way near enough to launch a political career out of.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
LostGryphon said:
Ya know... I was going to go into a long-winded post attempting to rationally discuss my grievances with Miss Sarkeesian 'criticism' and drawing redundant attention to Bob's startling continued dalliance with hypocrisy...but then I read all of the comments. So, instead, I'll go into a long-winded griping/concern trollish rant.

It's the same people.

It's the same people, over and over and over and over again, repeating the same points, on either side of the 'debate.'

The same self-important snark.
The same righteous indignation.
The same smarmy, thinly veiled insults. (You know who you are.)
The same smarmy, direct insults. (The mods know who you are.)

The usual suspects. Each and every thread. And I guess I'd be considered one of them by this point.

Can I make a sincere appeal here?

Can we all just... I don't know... not be complete and utter jackasses to one another for one day? Just one?

How about an entire day on these forums with vaguely polite or light-hearted discussion? Or, failing that, perhaps dialogue that doesn't contain so much in the way of petty ad hominem bullshit?

Please?

You all do seem like nice enough people. Well, most of you, with few glaring exceptions that fill me with a strong sense of pity, more so than anything resembling anger or irritation. I'm sure you've all got the capability to be level-headed and decent to one another.

This includes you, Bob.

Maybe swallow the hate for a bit, take a step back, and look at yourself? Maybe? Please? I'd like to be able to watch your videos again, as the movie reviews and comic stuff was quite interesting/entertaining, for the most part, without constantly having your ridiculous tweets cropping up in the back of my mind.

Rant over.

TL;DR: Lost is weary of impotent forum warriorizening and would like to hug many of you.

Not trying to be snide taking a step back and knowing where you are coming. Every time I see a certain topic and gage how the thread will play out and who will say what, who will piggy back on which comments, which cliques will form and almost easily guess how sentiment and discussion will devolve into. Even I fell into this crap myself early on sometimes you just have one of those days. I mean some people in other topics with less hostility are usually fine others I will admit I could care less about their approval or how they wish to see me and others but so is life. Then again your post allowed me to have some context to post some ease the tension songs so thanks for that.

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
Personally, I think that the real argument here should be about is knowing the difference between "free speech" and "consequence-free speech", as shown on this clip from The Daily Show:

Basically, the point of the clip is that, while you CAN say anything you want, and not get censored by the government because your view conflict with the governments. HOWEVER, that doesn't give people the ability to say anything they want without being mocked and scorned by society at large. Jack Thompson's campaign infringed on FREE SPEECH, because he wanted all violent games banned, and tried to claim that video game violence didn't just "desensitize" people to violence (i.e. more apathetic to violence around them), but also tried to construe the interactive nature of video games as either making people more liable to act out violent impulses, or to give those with violent impulses more creative ways to carry out those impulses.

Anita, on the other hand, is challenging the CONSEQUENCE-FREE SPEECH that leaves the majority of video games using tropes that, when used improperly (as some companies and games still frequently do) marginalize women compared to men, and also how some gamers think even this criticism is equivalent to infringing on FREE SPEECH. She's not asking the government to ban sexist video games for the good of society. She's just trying to get more social awareness of potentially sexist issues in gaming. And if that society thinks that games, game companies, or gamers that enforce that sexism should be called out for it: well, they're not infringing on your FREE SPEECH, they're making sure it isn't CONSEQUENCE-FREE SPEECH where anybody say whatever they want without the judgement of their peers.

Oh, and for the people trying to frame Bob as a hypocrite for "supporting" a death threat on Thompson (link here [https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/527993572734537728]), I can't see anything that openly supported death threats - sure, he said he "had it coming", but it was likely the harassment of being called an idiot blowhard, and for being a scumbag politician long before he carried his 'moral guardian crusade' to videogames. I'm sure he wouldn't have approved outright death threats, if only so gamers didn't shoot themselves in the foot on the "video gamers aren't more violent because of video games" argument, but even then he could've laughed them off if they couldn't be followed up on, i.e. the "online gamer threatening to kick your ass in real life probably couldn't do that" phenomenon. The death threats against Anita can't be shrugged off when she had to cancel a presentation because the threat of a school shooting could've been carried out thanks to how guns weren't banned from the school she was presenting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138046-School-Shooting-Threat-Sent-to-USU-about-Anita-Sarkeesian], and when she was forced to flee her own house after the threats to break in and murder her family proved all to real not to brush off as a sick joke or empty boast [http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6075179/anita-sarkeesian-says-she-was-driven-out-of-house-by-threats].

At the very LEAST, the GamerGate members who DON'T support trying to outright kill Anita just to shut her up should call out any of their members who tried to do so, if only in a "GUYS!! Stop making US look bad!" motive.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Well, call me silly, because I draw a lot of parallels between the Jack that was described in this video and current-day "antagonists"

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
delroland said:
Signa said:
Well, call me silly, because I draw a lot of parallels between the Jack that was described in this video and current-day "antagonists"
You're silly.
Thanks!

And damn was that a fast response.

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Can anyone explain to me why people defend Hitman? I honestly don't get it, is it a really popular and amazing game series? I can honestly never heard of anyone talk about it being really good or talk about it at all.

But when it comes to gamergate and Anita people defend it as if it was the Alamo.

In the same video where Anita critizises Hitman she also talks about God of War but i've never seen anyone defend God of War.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Zontar said:
That's.... pretty scary. This video is far from brilliant. It's a stretch to even call it insightful, and that's with the assumption of interpreting it as a follower of his pretty radical ideology instead of a rationalistic perspective.

(Basically what I'm saying is the video isn't very good in quality and the only people who will like it are those who already agree with it going in. Especially for those of us outside the US where the very existence of the notion of 'gamers' debunks one of the most fundamental premises to his rant. I dare not call it an argument because that would insult the art of debate, and also imply that Bob was willing to respond to anything which he doesn't agree with in a civilized manor)
Liking videos is scary? Let me tell you about this great horror series from the 90s called Siskel and Ebert. I definitely wouldn't watch it before bed. There are some other good video liking shows on now like Tosh.0 or @ Midnight, but they aren't as good.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Jumplion said:
You reduced storytelling in games to "The bad guy does something bad..." and then bemoaned how others, as you perceive it, look "too deeply" so to say to find things they believe are sexist. This viewpoint does not allow us to look critically into our media.

I was referring to this

http://youtu.be/5i_RPr9DwMA?t=6m34s
Seeing sexism there is silly. That pimp is a bad guy. Was Anita expecting him to be a perfect gentleman

She brought up the "Dastardly" achievement earlier in the video, and yeah that's sexist, I don't think anyone would argue with that.
But then she goes and ruins it by being stupid.

Everything else you said was so far off base it's not worth responding to.
Except this,

And I'm still not going to respond to it, I'll just let you ruminate on what you said.
Shocking, and you should apologize to literally everyone, including your parents.

Not even close, I'm saying Anita Sarkeesian is sexist.
http://youtu.be/GpDnr2s9yxQ?t=1m34s
Listen to this clip and tell me she's not sexist (Up to 2:15, or fuck if I care watch the whole video)
She's not being sexist. Especially considering that she considers the song to be equally creepy when sung by either gender, just with different connotations. Because there are different contexts and connotations to people when we look at their gender, ethnicity, orientation, etc... When a man is harsh and commanding, he's "the boss". When a woman does so, she's "bossy" or "bitchy". When a white NFL player is aggressive in celebration, he's "pumped". When a black NFL player is aggressive in celebration, he's a "thug".

Regardless of all that, she does not express "bigotry" towards men in that clip, she merely notes that, when looked at a certain way, the song can be expressive of a possesive relationship mentality that is a whole 'nuther topic all together.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Magmarock said:
CaitSeith said:
Magmarock said:
Okay bob, I have written down in a text document my thoughts on Anita Sarkeesian and Michael Atkinson. I withheld posting it in the forums because it was a little while since I wrote it and it didn't seem as relevant.

now it seems more relevant then ever. When I compare Michael Atkinson ( a man who actually succeeded in censoring and banning games) with the likes of Jack Thompson and Anita Sarkeesian; I have a lot more respect for Atkinson. The man was wrong about many things but he was also transparent.

When people compare Jack to Anita what they're doing is point out that the harassment that Jack received was okay and no one cared but when Anita gets it, it's suddenly bad.

No one cared when Atkinson received death threats at his door step, but when Anita get's a few angry emails from some internet trolls everyone terns themselves inside out. It's a bullshit double standard Bob and it's not okay.

I am a gamer Bob and I don't like Anita Sarkeesian. I think she's disingenuous, liar and a con artist who seeks attention. However, I have never spoken to her nor have I made any attempt to talk to her. I have nothing to say to her and don't even consider her a gamer. Her presence on websites such as this is what I find the most troubling.

One final point I want to make is the customer is always right. If gamers don't like something then all we have to do is stop funding it. Remember Bob, gamers are keeping you employed, but who is keeping Anita employed.
Pretty much because he has received death treats for doing much more than just criticizing videogames (like making laws to declare motorcycle clubs as outlaw organisations). You must haven't been paying much attention to Australian news in 2010.

Gamers scarier than bikies: Michael Atkinson [http://www.news.com.au/technology/gamers-scarier-than-bikies-says-michael-atkinson/story-e6frfro0-1225830886493]

PS: Gamers don't keep Bob employed. His audience does (and I'm pretty sure there are not only gamers in it).
And this is some how okay. It's not okay to threaten anyone, it's the double standard that I have an issue with.
It's not double standard. They are different scenarios. But you know what? I bet in 4 years few people from the general public will remember that Sarkeesian's death treats were such a big deal (the same way Thompson's and Atkinson's are remembered right now)
Well she's already been around for a little while. I have my doubts but I do hope that happens.

PDugna

Aug 27, 2014
Mikeyfell said:
Jumplion said:
You reduced storytelling in games to "The bad guy does something bad..." and then bemoaned how others, as you perceive it, look "too deeply" so to say to find things they believe are sexist. This viewpoint does not allow us to look critically into our media.

I was referring to this

Seeing sexism there is silly. That pimp is a bad guy. Was Anita expecting him to be a perfect gentleman

She brought up the "Dastardly" achievement earlier in the video, and yeah that's sexist, I don't think anyone would argue with that.
But then she goes and ruins it by being stupid.

Everything else you said was so far off base it's not worth responding to.
Except this,

And I'm still not going to respond to it, I'll just let you ruminate on what you said.
Shocking, and you should apologize to literally everyone, including your parents.

Not even close, I'm saying Anita Sarkeesian is sexist.
http://youtu.be/GpDnr2s9yxQ?t=1m34s
Listen to this clip and tell me she's not sexist (Up to 2:15, or fuck if I care watch the whole video)
She's not being sexist. Especially considering that she considers the song to be equally creepy when sung by either gender, just with different connotations. Because there are different contexts and connotations to people when we look at their gender, ethnicity, orientation, etc... When a man is harsh and commanding, he's "the boss". When a woman does so, she's "bossy" or "bitchy". When a white NFL player is aggressive in celebration, he's "pumped". When a black NFL player is aggressive in celebration, he's a "thug".

Regardless of all that, she does not express "bigotry" towards men in that clip, she merely notes that, when looked at a certain way, the song can be expressive of a possesive relationship mentality that is a whole 'nuther topic all together.
Yeah she pretty much in that clip ignores the possibility that the woman could be a creep or a stalker and just goes "Ohh maybe women deserve better" but as soon as a guy sings the song it's always stalkerish and creepy. *bleh* That "woman can do no wrong" bullcrap needs to end in the media the song itself btw is not gender situated it's actually gender neutral. It's made so a person can sing their love for their significant other and enjoy the holidays.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
MaddKossack115 said:
Anita, on the other hand, is challenging the CONSEQUENCE-FREE SPEECH
Likewise, she now faces the consequences of her own speech, none of which are legally binding or government supported.

Why the concern over silencing critics when no one is actually being censored?

MaddKossack115 said:
The death threats against Anita can't be shrugged off when she had to cancel a presentation because the threat of a school shooting could've been carried out thanks to how guns weren't banned from the school she was presenting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138046-School-Shooting-Threat-Sent-to-USU-about-Anita-Sarkeesian],
False; Anita made the decision to cancel her talk even after being assured the threat the school had received was not credible by the police. Many college campuses allow guns to be carried, typically in states with similar laws. She's been giving talks at length across the country for some times, she knows these laws exist. Refusing to talk at a previously planned presentation because of death threats she has allegedly been receiving this entire time because of a common firearm law she would have undoubtedly encountered before is disingenuous.

MaddKossack115 said:
and when she was forced to flee her own house after the threats to break in and murder her family proved all to real not to brush off as a sick joke or empty boast [http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6075179/anita-sarkeesian-says-she-was-driven-out-of-house-by-threats].
False; The threat of posting an address of a public figure, or the address of a public figure's family with nothing more than words to back it up is not a credible threat. Considering Anita continues to make public appearances in well-populated spaces to this day, and much of her personal information can be found online through completely legal means with nothing more than her full name, it is laughable to asserts this had any more reason to 'drive Anita from her home' than any other anonymous death threats.

Also? Gamergate is pretty sure they found 'Kevin Dobson'. He was a Brazilian journalist by the name of Mateus Prado Sousa doing it to stir up controversy: http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2j2gun/identity_of_one_of_anita_sarkeesians_harassers/

MaddKossack115 said:
At the very LEAST, the GamerGate members who DON'T support trying to outright kill Anita just to shut her up should call out any of their members who tried to do so, if only in a "GUYS!! Stop making US look bad!" motive.
GG has no membership, no leader, no organized methodology. It simply is. Trying to call out anonymous users who engage in bad behavior for no other reason than they used the GG hash tag is beyond impractical.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
I was referring to this

You are being further disengenuous. We're not talking about whether or not a pimp is acting "realistically" in a game. Literally, just three minutes before your quote (3:50);

"Developers regularly utilize the brutilization of women's bodies and especially the bodies of prostitutes as an indicator of how 'harsh', 'cruel', and 'unforgiving' their game worlds are" and they are utilized to "evoke a sexually charged, 'creepy' or 'edgy' environment."

Her point isn't that a pimp shouldn't be hitting people. Her point is that the constant use of women in these sorts of portrayals is lazy and problematic when it is so prevalent and comman among representations in our media.

And we are talking about broad aspects of video games, not individual games. These individual games are being used as examples of the broader issue.

I, Sarkeesian, and many others (including yourself) have stated that the use of these sorts of tropes are in an effort to be "edgy". I'm unsure what is the hullaballo at this point.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have no idea what you're going on about. My statement on how having a penis or a vagina or a different mixture of melatonin may affect how people percieve you was fairly well supported by my examples. Her interpretation of the Christmas songs is just that, an interpretation, and as I said not indicative of any "bigotry" towards men. Whether its valid or not, I can certainly see what she's getting at, sure. I asked a fairly studious, and frankly smarter, friend of mine who is far more knowlegable on these sorts of issues/debates and he found nothing wrong with it. So, yeah.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
For everyone claiming that Feminist Frequency is "ruining the gaming industry", I think you're being hyperbolic.

Feminist Frequency causes more damage to feminism than they do to gaming.

---

(I say Feminist Frequency and not Anita Sarkeesian as it is clear that Jonathan McIntosh is the actual lunatic of the two, Anita's just the shield he uses)

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
MaddKossack115 said:
1. They do, there is actually a "Gamergate Harassment Watch" that actively seeks out people that make threats before they can get publicity.

2. In Anita Sarkeesian's case, members of Gamergate have actually tracked down at least one of the people that sent her death threats.

3. Gamergate has recently redirected their attacks towards Jonathan McIntosh rather than Anita because they see him as a much more hypocritical and unreasonable voice in modern feminism. The term "Full McIntosh" has recently become a meme to refer to instances of extreme delusion on the part of certain feminists and game journalists.

Gamergate is unfortunately suffering from a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type scenario at the moment. It doesn't matter how many good things they do, it's the actions of trolls that will dictate how they are portrayed in mainstream media. It's like Occupy Wall Street all over again.

What next? Accusing people that leaked info regarding collusion and unethical behaviour of treason?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
For everyone claiming that Feminist Frequency is "ruining the gaming industry", I think you're being hyperbolic.

Feminist Frequency causes more damage to feminism than they do to gaming.
Why would it damage either? What happened to your stance on "personal responsibility?"

You were outraged that people would hold the actions of individuals against gamergate. Why is this so different?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
2. In Anita Sarkeesian's case, members of Gamergate have actually tracked down at least one of the people that sent her death threats.
Well, no. They claimed to have found them based on some rather tenuous evidence and have declared that a victory.

These constant zealous charges are ridiculous, and should not be held up as a positive example.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
Why would it damage either? What happened to your stance on "personal responsibility?"

You were outraged that people would hold the actions of individuals against gamergate. Why is this so different?
I'm not claiming that Feminist Frequency is sabotaging feminism, rather they do more damage to the image of feminism than to the image of gaming.

I don't believe they're doing it maliciously of course. I think they are at least moderately sincere when it comes to the views they express. However I can't help but lament the fact that whenever I sympathise with feminist causes or identify patriarchal double-standards as serious issues, I get lumped in with those that believe patriarchy is the Fratboy Illuminati.

Feminist Frequency are a microcosm of Tumblr feminism. While lately I've tried as much as possible to distance "my feminism" from that of McIntosh et al., they are regarded as the easy target to attack the entirety of feminism. It's actually very similar to my concern about Gamergate. The views of a few people are misinterpreted as the views of the entire group. The bigots in Gamergate are not "the final boss of Gamergate" and Feminist Frequency are not "the final boss of feminism", yet that's how they're portrayed.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to elaborate on what I meant, I actually look forward to you calling me out on stuff.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, no. They claimed to have found them based on some rather tenuous evidence and have declared that a victory.
I'm not sure how compelling you'd find this https://storify.com/LadyFuzztail/gamergate-may-be-a-victim-of-a-false-flag-operati but it indicates a focussed effort on the part of some (not all) users of the Gamergate hashtag to stop harassment.

I can't speak for all of Gamergate of course. I can't claim that they are universally for one thing or universally against another thing. Even the ethics part has become extremely debatable.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
MaddKossack115 said:
\At the very LEAST, the GamerGate members who DON'T support trying to outright kill Anita just to shut her up should call out any of their members who tried to do so, if only in a "GUYS!! Stop making US look bad!" motive.
We do. The problem is that we get dismissed, censored, and fought against whenever we do. This is an obnoxiously slanderous Scotsman fallacy used by the other side to dismiss the rational majority at every turn.