The Big Picture: Rock of Ages

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
No mention of the live action Flintstones movies? I can't comment on Viva Rock Vegas because I never saw it, but the first one was kind of odd. It was a dark story about corporate power abuse, betrayal, and corruption that children never stood a chance of understanding, but it was marketed as a family film regardless. It seems like a pretty big oversight not to at least mention that they made a big mess of trying to do a more adult-oriented story.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wow, that was informative. I think that's more information than I ever wanted to know about the Flintstones. Also Bob, you forgot about the live action movie starring John Goodman.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Wow, that was informative. I think that's more information than I ever wanted to know about the Flintstones. Also Bob, you forgot about the live action movie starring John Goodman.
Didn't they do two of those horrible movies?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The Gentleman said:
canadamus_prime said:
Didn't they do two of those horrible movies?
Oh yeah, right. Never did see the second one though.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Wow... so, apart from the more modern one, I've seen everything the Flintstones has to offer.
Guess I can cross that off my "Pointless stuff I did before I died" list... or add it.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Whenever the Flintstones are mentioned, I can't help but think of this:

Its only in the last few years I found out that they were originally for adults as the original Flintstones were always ran in the kids TV spot when I was younger. Always enjoyed them though.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Quite simply "I'm Bob and I rock" would have done.

Also, besides watch the original Flintstones cartoon when it was aired over here I fondly remember CAPTAIN CAVEMAN! If I'm not mistaken he was also available in comic book form.
I always liked how scruffy he was ^_^

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
"I'm Bob and this is the Big pictogram"?Nah, that's not 65 000 000 B.C material...

I was wondering why the whole "Flinstone history" was shown until you mentionned Seth Macfarlane..

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of the old-school Hanna-Barbera cartoons. When I was a kid, I barely watched them, and when I got older, I realized that they used the same formula of either families, funny animals, racers, small groups of creatures or mystery solvers over and over and over again, or just repackaged the various cartoons repeatedly.

Which is why "Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law" was a nice change of pace... come to think of it, they did have an episode starring a "Sopranos"-esque version of the Flintstones...

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
That was informative. I never knew that the Flintstones had such a complicated history.

And damn, It was reused and edited a lot.

cervie

Apr 14, 2009
I just know Seth getting his hands on the Flinstones is a baaaad happening.

Fred: Hey Wilma!
Wilma: Yes dear?
Fred: *the sound of a long wet fart issues from Fred's hind quarters.* Hahah! Got you!

Go ahead and doubt that thats what we'll see!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Holy Shit. Shmoo. Shmoo was awesome. Shmoo!
Sorry 'bout that. My inner child (what's left of it) became very happy for just a moment.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Best way to make sure everyone knows a trademark, beat it in and keep on going... I knew "The Flintstones" were old and repeated a lot but this much I'm almost want to see the (pherhaps) upcoming remake...

(Oh captcha "roast beef" very fitting I think)

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I can't believe I've never heard of any of those spin offs before! So Captain Caveman is supposed to be a prequel to The Flintstones? Crazy.

I heard that Seth McFarlen wanted to reboot The Flinstones but I had no idea he wanted to reboot Cosmos too. I'd love to see that if Tyson gets the job hosting it. He's a great speaker. But come to think of it another good candidate could be Brian Cox. He has a similar kind of tone to Sagan, and he's done similar shows as well on several occasions. Maybe that's actually a reason why Tyson should get the show instead. Meh, either one would be great.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
HOLY SHIT, I REMEMBER THE FLINTSTONE Also, I really don't want Seth MacFarlene doing Flintstones...it just seems kind of...dirty to me.
I agree, I get the feeling that if Mr. Macfarlene did get the show going, it will just be alot of jokes about conservatives and Christians.

I used to really enjoy the first run of Family Guy, A few of those joke I mention but I have a sence of humor I did not take it personally. But now, it seems like entire episodes are dedicated to making fun of conservatives and Christians, and it is hard not to start too take it a little personally.

I guess I would like those shows more if they did more jokes about liberals (they have just as much comedy material as anyone else), Muslims, Jews, Buddha, Atheists, everyone.

Because, it is not discrimination if you discriminate against everyone (including yourself) equally.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Revival of Cosmos? Sweet FSM yes :D
Also, that show's continuity is worse than 50 years of Doctor Who :S