The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Orca

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Well, here's to more awesome monster movies with insane ideas.

Daveman said:
Didn't that ice berg bit also happen in futurama?
Why yes, it did. It ate all the penguins.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Mortamus said:
Well, here's to more awesome monster movies with insane ideas.

Daveman said:
Didn't that ice berg bit also happen in futurama?
Why yes, it did. It ate all the penguins.
I knew I recognized that scene in Orca from somewhere.

As for the movie itself, the thought of the orca knowing enough to blow up that building blew my mind, I know there's the whole suspension of disbelief but seriously after that it could've used a gun and I wouldn't have been surprised.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009

That is the killer-whale equivalent to a dude in sunglasses casually walking away from an explosion. That is incredible.

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
My dad loved this movie; thanks to this reminder of the film's existence, I'm going to get a copy of it for him now.

I'm fairly certain the miscarriage scene scarred me as a child.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
It does not surprise me that Richard Harris was in one of these movies. I've seen his collaborations with Godfrey Ho. It was probably an easy time for both. Harris worked for a month, got paid for 6 and had a nice vacation in the Asian world. Godfrey for enough material out of Harris for about 2 dozen movies.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
MB202 said:
I used to call them killer whales, but now I call them Orcas, because killer whales, regardless of how true that name is in the wild, seems to condescending to me.
For more justification, Orcas aren't whales. They are dolphins.

Mega_Manic

Sep 11, 2012
Draconalis said:
MB202 said:
I used to call them killer whales, but now I call them Orcas, because killer whales, regardless of how true that name is in the wild, seems to condescending to me.
For more justification, Orcas aren't whales. They are dolphins.
My mind has just been blown.

Marcu5

Jun 24, 2009
There are few things from my childhood that I remember as vividly as _that_ scene...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How did I miss this? I mean I look up Dino De Laurentiis on Wiki and this film doesn't show up on his filmography. It look like someone need to update his info!
That ending scene when the orca slam the ice that guy was on remind me of that Futurama with the penguin. Oh and the joke with Free Willy at the end made me laugh!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I remember my dad talking about this movie when I was little and thanks to the wonderful days of Canal 5's movie trilogy weekends (I miss those), I remember watching this and thinking "meh, this kinda sucks" and mind you, I already watched many 80's horror flicks by then (I seriously miss those weekends).

That was a while ago, I'll definitely need to watch this again.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
CK76 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
MrBaskerville said:
So it´s Moby Dick with an Orca?
I was WAITING for someone to make a Moby Dick reference! BOB! You're slipping!

Though, honestly, if the guy actually quoted Moby Dick, it probably would have crappified the movie a bit...
Except it's the whale that wants revenge.
If only Melville have managed to pen Moby Dick 2!
Lord help us all when the greats of literature act like the movie biz and start penning unnecessary sequels...

CAPTCHA: no-brainer

True that, Captcha...in more ways than one!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Funny enough, there are almost ZERO human fatalities by wild orcas... though the CAPTIVE orcas have attacked a few people.

Still, it's very true that, yes, orcas have been known to beat the living tar out of, and then eat, giant great white sharks. Which is awesome.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I'd actually heard of this film before, but had dismissed it based on it's poster as a cheep rip off with no imagination or talent.

Proves that old adage about judging book's by their covers I suppose.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Vie said:
I'd actually heard of this film before, but had dismissed it based on it's poster as a cheep rip off with no imagination or talent.

Proves that old adage about judging book's by their covers I suppose.
If I may chime in, it is pretty much a cheap rip off with no imagination or talent.

Monster movies are sort of my major interest, and I've watched a bunchload of them. And Orca is one of the ones I've never enjoyed, before or after growing up. It's pretentious and usually quite boring. It's somewhat of a cult classic though, but in my opinion deserves none of the praise it gets.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Wow, that looks like a surprisingly good watch.
Going to have to find me a copy.

I'm surprised I've never heard of this flick... specially as it features Richard Harris.
Oh well, now I've got a movie to catch up on.