The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Orca

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
abort_user said:
this is that killer dolphin movie youve been looking for. Orcas are dolphins despite being called whales.
JESUS CHRIST FINALLY SOMEONE KNOWS THAT BIT OF TRIVIA BESIDES ME!!!

+10 Internets for you sir.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
MB202 said:
I used to call them killer whales, but now I call them Orcas, because killer whales, regardless of how true that name is in the wild, seems to condescending to me.
that and they are not really whales....but dolphins

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
themilo504 said:
When you said that the first part of the orca.s plan could be possible I like to know what you were smoking because 1 I don?t even a orca can eat that much fish 2 there not that smart and if they are I say we put them on the top 3 things that may exterminate humanity in the future.
well actually, whales and dolphins can actually drive away fish from areas or in some cases, help drive fish towards humans who will in turn feed them some of the caught fish.

they are very intelligent animals.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Frieswiththat said:
Draconalis said:
MB202 said:
I used to call them killer whales, but now I call them Orcas, because killer whales, regardless of how true that name is in the wild, seems to condescending to me.
For more justification, Orcas aren't whales. They are dolphins.
Actually dolphins are whales.
nope...they're related by dont belong in the same genus.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
Frieswiththat said:
Draconalis said:
MB202 said:
True. But they belong to the same order (Cetacea) COMMONLY KNOWN AS the whales. I'm assuming you're using whale to refer to baleen whales, in which case you're not referring to a single genus but in fact a suborder of Cetacea, the Mysticetes. See post 77 for a more depth view on what I mean when I say whale.

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
Draconalis said:
Frieswiththat said:
I use whale in layman terms, because it is not wise to assume one has knowledge otherwise. I must admit I had not personally thought of it like that, but what you say makes sense.
Fair enough. I shall keep that in mind next time.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Frieswiththat said:
Jegsimmons said:
Frieswiththat said:
Draconalis said:
MB202 said:
True. But they belong to the same order (Cetacea) COMMONLY KNOWN AS the whales. I'm assuming you're using whale to refer to baleen whales, in which case you're not referring to a single genus but in fact a suborder of Cetacea, the Mysticetes. See post 77 for a more depth view on what I mean when I say whale.
regardless, calling dolphins whales in almost every sense or common use is wrong.

when we say 'An orca is a dolphin not a whale' we dont mean family grouping, we mean genus or species.

its like saying a Hyena is a dog, in a sense true, because they're both canines but wrong in every other use.

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
Jegsimmons said:
Frieswiththat said:
Jegsimmons said:
Frieswiththat said:
Draconalis said:
MB202 said:
regardless, calling dolphins whales in almost every sense or common use is wrong.

when we say 'An orca is a dolphin not a whale' we dont mean family grouping, we mean genus or species.

its like saying a Hyena is a dog, in a sense true, because they're both canines but wrong in every other use.
To address your first point, the term whale CAN be used to refer to cetaceans as a whole, but normally doesn't include dolphins and porpoises. So no. I'm not wrong in EVERY sense, just common use.

Secondly, orca do NOT belong to the same genus as dolphins as dolphin is the common term for the family Delphinidae, in which there are 17 genera, including porpoises, orca and a variety of others. Dolphin does NOT refer to a single genus or species.

Thirdly, no. Saying 'Dolphins are whales' is not like saying 'Hyenas are dogs', mainly because dolphins are whales in a broad sense so it's not entirely incorrect. Saying Hyenas are dogs, however, IS entirely incorrect. Hyenas are not canines like dogs (which belong to the family of Canidae), but feliforms (belonging to the suborder of Feliformia), making them closer to the Cats (the family Felidae) than the Dogs (the family Canidae). A more correct thing to say would be 'Hyenas/dogs are Carnivorans', as both belong to the order of Carnivora. This statement is more congruent with the statement 'Dolphins are whales' as whale in this case is being used to describe the order of Cetacea.

Actually, while we're on this topic what would you class as a whale? Preferably refer to species for examples. That way I can see where you're coming from.

jprf

May 18, 2011
OK everyone can stop having the 'whale vs dolphin' argument now. The real reason orcas are called 'killer whales' is because they kill whales for food. The name was originally 'whale killer,' but it got flipped around at some point and the change stuck.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Draconalis said:
MB202 said:
Oh, I see. Well, in that regard, Orca really is a better name for them. Unless people start calling them "killer dolphins".