The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2012: Orca

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
Since Orca was partially filmed just a few minutes from my hometown, it is my duty to correct one slight error. Newfoundland is not pronounced "New Finland" the often repeated mnemonic device is - Understand Newfoundland.

Unfortunately, I was not old enough to attend the première, but apparently a good time was had by all as locals picked their houses and themselves out of the crowd.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
So a "horror" movie has shots of whales swimming majestically to melodic mood music? ...what?
The 70s! Not quite as stupid and pointless as the 80s, but still damn close! :p

Oh, and Bob, please send us all that image of the Orca Punisher. I... I fell in love with that...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Killer Whale = Giant Dolphin.

Dolphin = Douchebags of the sea.

Orca = Giant douchebag of the sea.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
War Penguin said:
canadamus_prime said:
So a "horror" movie has shots of whales swimming majestically to melodic mood music? ...what?

Oh, and Bob, please send us all that image of the Orca Punisher. I... I fell in love with that...
Yeah, but still melodic mood music in a horror film??? Surely even in the 70's they knew what "horror" meant. Unless of course the director had a traumatic experience involving soothing mood music. ...and whales.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
War Penguin said:
canadamus_prime said:

Yeah, but still melodic mood music in a horror film??? Surely even in the 70's they knew what "horror" meant. Unless of course the director had a traumatic experience involving soothing mood music. ...and whales.
That's the 70s way of lulling you into a false sense of security.

Again, no quite as stupid and pointless as the 80s, but still damn close.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
I remember watching the 'miscarriage' scene as a young lad when they showed the movie on network TV one time (this was back in the early '80s, when it was deemed okay to show such a scene on primetime TV). It certainly freaked me out, and I assume I stopped watching it, since I don't remember the rest of the movie. Way to jog my memory of that scene, Bob! *laughs*

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
MovieBob, you've made my day again. Not only with a bare mention of a movie I have seen already, but a full episode on a movie I've enjoyed. If even I meet you in real life I owe you an alcoholic beverage of your choice and a hug. Thank you so much.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Hmm, in Jaws 2 they establish a Great White Shark has returned to amity because they found the mauled remains of an Orca whale, do you reckon that was the studio's rebuttal to De Lorentis?

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
gigastar said:
Daveman said:
Didn't that ice berg bit also happen in futurama?
It does.

Whether or not its an intentional shoutout is the real question now...
Probably not. Orca's legitimately hunt like that IRL. They break up ice sheets and use their body weight to guide seals and penguins towards other members of their pack for killing.

They also have been known to play with their pray before finishing them off and also just strait up kill for fun.

They are indeed the only animal that hunts white sharks, also they love to take down pray bigger than themselves because they love the hunt.

All in all. Orca's are dicks.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Draconalis said:
MB202 said:
I used to call them killer whales, but now I call them Orcas, because killer whales, regardless of how true that name is in the wild, seems to condescending to me.
For more justification, Orcas aren't whales. They are dolphins.
Actually dolphins are whales (Toothed Whales).
EDIT: I mean they belong to the same order, Cetacea, which is commonly referred to and directly translates to the whales. I'm not referring to baleen whales, which are a suborder within the order Cetacea. I refer to whales generally.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Draconalis said:
Frieswiththat said:
Actually dolphins are whales.
Citation please, I've never come across anything to support that statement.
When you say whale, are you referring to baleen whales like humpbacks and blue whales, or do mean the common name for the order Cetacea, which include the Odontocetes, the toothed whales, like dolphins, orca, porpoises, belugas, sperm whales and tooth whales, and the Mysticetes, the baleen whales, such as humpbacks, greys, rights, bowheads, blues, fins and minkes. Pretty much saying 'dolphins are whales' is like saying 'lions are cats'. Some people might interpret that as 'Lions are housecats', while some will interpret it as 'Lions are Felids'.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Frieswiththat said:
I use whale in layman terms, because it is not wise to assume one has knowledge otherwise. I must admit I had not personally thought of it like that, but what you say makes sense.

abort_user

Aug 4, 2009
this is that killer dolphin movie youve been looking for. Orcas are dolphins despite being called whales.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
So I was reading Batman: Black Mirror today, and it got up to a point where Dick Grayson was tripping out on fear toxin and fell into the harbor. Well next thing I know he's hallucinating being attacked by an Orca who is saying "I'm coming for ya Dickie! Gonna eat you!"... I immediately burst out into a fit of laughter because all I could think about was this review.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
MovieBob said:
Schlocktober 2012: Orca

Sea World will never be the same again.

Watch Video

hey, bob, can you please point out next big picture that killer whales/orcas are not actually whales but dolphins?

because they shits been irritating me for 19 years that people dont know that.