The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2014: Dragon Wars: D-War

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Schlocktober 2014: Dragon Wars: D-War

This South Korean fantasy action film is something you have to see to believe.

Watch Video

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait? Does that film really count as a Halloween sort of movie? It just look an awful fantasy war like film to me.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
What a bizarre film, I'm surprised I've never heard of it until now. Shame it isn't on the UK Netflix :-/

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
IIRC, Bob reviewed this on his old blog way back in 2007 before his critic career took off.

Now I actually want to see it.

Jsan the Candyman

Sep 5, 2014
I thought it was pretty fun when I say it. Granted, I saw it free on demand somewhere and thought it was as cool as the matrix...

Maybe it's not that good now that I think of it.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
I don't know what's weirder, that this is the most recent movie to be shown on schlocktober or the fact this movie is not only one I've seen, but payed money to see.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Imagining the good dragon as Shenlong seems to make this movie look like the most awesome 15 minutes of a day. The other part is debatable.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, i saw this one already. It struck me very much as one of those "movies set in America but made by someone who clearly has little knowledge or understanding of how America actually works" movies.

And the funniest part for me has to be the moment when, as he's watching a giant, mythical dragon constrict around that building, a cop picks up his radio and shouts "We've got a Code Five!!!"

Lord knows what a "Code Six" would be for the LAPD...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Yeah, Apache Longbow helicopters fight from reallllllly far away. Popping in and out of sight.
They do not fly up so close to the tallest building for dozens of miles where a snake monster can bite them to death... :(

Still, I saw that poster going around on the Net back then, and decided to not waste my time.
Looking at your "ten best minutes ever" now I feel entirely justified.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Yeah, Apache Longbow helicopters fight from reallllllly far away. Popping in and out of sight.
They do not fly up so close to the tallest building for dozens of miles where a snake monster can bite them to death... :(

Still, I saw that poster going around on the Net back then, and decided to not waste my time.
Looking at your "ten best minutes ever" now I feel entirely justified.
To be fair, Apaches sniping dinos with Hellfires from a kilometer away wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as dog fighting them with cannons.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
This was one of the most boring damn movies I have ever had the displeasure of watching. With its premise, how the hell did they manage that?

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
I actually remember watching this in theaters when it came out. Yeah. This is easily one of the weirdest things to watch. I'd still recommend it though for no other reason than the "what the hell is this" factor.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Oh no... this film.

I would argue this well known, compared at least to the small and odd ball afFair. It's bad, really bad...

...but still... FROG TANKS!

At least Craig Robinson went on to do a better effects film with This Is the End.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
06.09 north korea obviously.

Well this movie is certainly something, i don?t know or I want to actually watch it or just look up the action scenes online.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I remember this... Sorta. Either it was pretty heavily cut in places or I did my best to forget this movie.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Am I crazy, or do the sound effects from the reptile creatures (they all just sort of blend together to me) sound like what they used for Half-Life's Hunters before the digital processing?

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I've seen a film where there are dinosaur riders and there were bigger, fatter dinosaurs with cannons attached...it was on Naboo in Star Wars episode 1! Simply by mentioning that film, I've made that seem a lot less cool.