The Big Picture: Shell Shock

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I was into the comic at roughly the same time that I was into the show as a kid. This is not because I was hip or into underground comics on the whole or anything like that; my dad just happened to own the first volume and I noticed it on the shelf. I remember it as being pretty good. Was a bit too young to "get" the camp/over the top elements were meant to not be taken seriously, though.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
Daverson said:
Dr Robotnik's actually always been called Eggman D=

In the Japanese release, he was literally called Eggman, they changed it to "Dr Ovi Robotnik" for the European and American release to avoid a lawsuit from the Beatles (the name comes from the song "I am the Walrus"). It's a combination of Latin and (I think) Polish, and literally translates into English as "Egg Man". Fun fact, that!
While it's true that the original Japanese name is Eggman, Robotnik doesn't mean Eggman. It means "worker" in Polish.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I think it's important to remember that the examples you've used in the Batman-verse were mostly villain related changes that were made gradually over time. The core origin story for Batman never really changed. (I'm not sure but I believe originally Batman didn't have a concrete origin so to speak, this was added in later to give him more depth). Though my main point here is they took some unpopular characters, redesigned them and stuck them back into the comics/TV show. These revised characters ended up being much better than their original counterparts.

I'm well aware of the alien involvement in the TMNT series. The main point is the aliens mostly remained in the background with regards to direct contact with the turtles. A lot of this backlash does stem form Micheal Bay's involvement. His track record with the Transformers franchise just makes anything he says sound like an absolutely terrible idea. For Micheal Bay to announce straight up that the Ninja Turtles will have alien origins, while changing the name to remove Teenage and Mutant from the title immediately tells us that this re-boot is going to drastically change the origin story of the main characters.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'm not concerned that Michael Bay is going to rape any "canonical" or "nostalgic" version of the Ninja Turtles. I've seen adaptations of older franchises that "get" the point of the original without sacrificing their own vision for market appeal.

I'm concerned that Michael Bay is going rape the Ninja Turtles in the same grotesque manner he and his cronies rape every franchise they touch: with abysmally bad writing, an over-reliance on blunt-force trauma "humor/comic relief", nauseating cinematography or the most hyperactive editing in the business. (combine elements as appropriate)

And worst of all: They make a mint so they can keep doing it. That's the real sin.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
personally I would like to see a re-do of the 90's version but with *puts up flame shield* venus added in from that short lived live action version I liked her :p

also i call him both eggman and Dr Robotnik I usually use eggman in text but call him Dr Robotnik when actually talking because its easier to type eggman also it drives a friend who is a rabid sonic fan nuts (he never played the classic games only the new crap fest stuff after he saw the anime so he hates the use of the older name mahahahaha also he drives me nuts as i played the classics and grew up on the cartoon)

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Scott Warren said:
i was into the original underground comic first.....and then the rpg. so yeah i'm old.
Scratch that, reverse it, and that's me. I also am old. You ever read the Mark Martin specials? That got me into GnatRat and parody comics in general.

What a great RPG it was though, although the first edition (which I had) was almost crippled by an arcane skills system that turned away a lot of potential players. We played the HELL out of the Road Hogs expansion.

Sardic

Aug 5, 2010
I first saw them as role playing game in my first year at high school. Some guy I ended up sitting next to was reading them and I wondered what the hell it was.

Now I know there are comics I might go out and find them. Reading The Walking Dead now too after seeing the TV series.

Arronax

Aug 7, 2009
Hey what about the newish TMNT movie, you forgot to mention that one, my memory of it is a bit schewed by time but I vaguely remembering it to be Good enough to have fun over.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453556/

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
But... Dr Eggman is the character's ORIGIONAL NAME!!!

We need to stick to canon, always! Robotnick was origionally a typo by some idiot translator with no time left to spare!

Just kidding, I have no idea if any of that is true but I'm sure I had someone going right there. They definitely called him Dr Eggman in the Japanese games, but that's probably just because English is "cool" and the game designers didn't think about how stupid it would sound to us English speakers.

I for one hope they change everything about this movie, make them no longer teenage, mutant or turtles. Make it geriatric cyborg ninja walruses, then no one will care, actually I think that ship has already sailed. Why do people keep giving Michael Bay money to make movies?

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
Also, I cringe every time someone says "Dr. Eggman". Ughhhh...
It's the name he was given by Sonic Team back in 1991, deal with it. :p Robotnik is an invention of Sega of America when writing the English manual.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Having flicked through 4 pages of comments, I think I will highlight some things...

1) Bob does admit to having little understanding about the ME games, he just did on his OTHER webseries at screwattack.com. Googling 'Crass Effect' should link you to his vid.

2) Robotnik vs. Eggman is two opposing lores that were forced to combine with the internet, also on Moviebob's other webseries at screwattack.com, the videos are to do with Sonic the Hedgehog.

3) Alien Origin, nice deflection you didn't raise this point up at all. However, I have no objection to the TMNT being mutated by an alien ooze. That is fine, BUT

When you make the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into aliens you negate virtually the entire title. Since they are aliens and we don't know how they normally age, we cannot say for certain they are tenage, it is just assument. They are no longre mutants, as that is how the actually look, and the same goes for the Turtles as well. So we are left with ... 'Ninjas'. Nice one Michael, well done.

What I would like to see Michael is how you are going to force into the movie the American Armed Forces and their arsenal, a goofy human character to relate to (who I think most people would like to beat to death with his goofy grin) and Robots.

I fear that Shia laGoof will find Four aliens with inexplicable Ninja skills. They have been sent to Earth due to a war on their Homeworld spilling over onto this one (Another war should blend right in). They are fighting another alien that is making robots who are like Ninja. He heads up the FOOT Corporation (FOOT being an acronym ending with 'Technology')

The evil CEO is nicknamed 'the Shredder', due to his ruthless taking over of other companies, who is creating two super-robots Project named Rocksteady and Be-bop respectively. The robots go on violent rampage 'forcing' the Army to swoop in and save the day while the Turtles (in the 25 mins they are actually in the movie) confront Shredder in his super secret office that looks like something from medieval Japan. Ninjas fight, Shredder flees.

April O'Neill coining the nickname 'Shredder' will be a down and out beautiful weather girl wanting her first big scoop, who will be about as ditzy as a perceived Playboy Bunny, with body to match.

MovieBob's other series (in case you actually read all of this) is Game Overthinker, and it is very well done... though the direction he took it in is ... different.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Scott Warren said:
i was into the original underground comic first.....and then the rpg. so yeah i'm old.
Me too.
That RPG was awsome; one of the Palladium games if I recall correctly. I Think I played more Palladium than D&D between TMNT, Fantasy, and Rifts.

However, as a fan of the original comics, I feel we got pretty good fan service with that recent cartoon series (I especially liked the episode where the different generations all got introduced to each other) so I too would like to see what would happen at this point if they made a movie based on the goofy old cartoon. Otherwise it would probably just be a remake of the original movie.

The thing is, they wouldn't really be making it for kids at this point would they?

Scott Warren

Oct 28, 2010
octafish said:
Scott Warren said:
Scratch that, reverse it, and that's me. I also am old. You ever read the Mark Martin specials? That got me into GnatRat and parody comics in general.

What a great RPG it was though, although the first edition (which I had) was almost crippled by an arcane skills system that turned away a lot of potential players. We played the HELL out of the Road Hogs expansion.
cerebus was my first indy, then love and rockets and the turtles.....road hogs was awesome but nothing beat mutants in avalon. all those books though, gonna have to go dig em out. the character designs were bad ass. That animal farm in reverse adventure and the evil bears from the source book...awesome stuff....and then you could get the other palladium books and make god characters....super powered akido weasels and all that. good stuff. However i can see that I'm not the market for the film....and the turtles were stolen from me by a dumbass cartoon like two decades ago so no big loss....anybody ever go to their words and pictures museum back in the day?? good times.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I kinda wish more people were in to the excellent 2003 series- I just prefer the franchise when there's only one Michelangelo, and not four different flavours of him.
I mean, I grew up with the 80's series too, and I'll still watch episodes every now and then, when the mood takes me- but I don't think it's the right direction for TMNT.

EDIT: I have a question, though- why does the third movie get so much hatred from the fanbase? More importantly, why does it get *more* hatred than the second movie? I firmly believe that "Ninja Rap" was the low point of the entire TMNT multiverse.

EDIT2: But, then, opinions are a thing too.

Gameonicon

Apr 21, 2011
In my opinion the franchise has to be reinvented and adjusted to the current audience to be successful. If it doesn't it will have the same problems as John Carter: only fans will care and the movie will flop big times!