The Big Picture: Shell Shock

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Axolotl said:
Wait a minute a here, there's one thing I don't understand:

Are there really a significant number of people who care about TMNT?
What year were you born? No I'm being serious because TMNT was the shit in the 80's and 90's.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I liked more how Doug Walker from ThatGuyWithTheGlasses covered that (in less serious manner)
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/34667-why-ninja-turtles-should-be-aliens
Maybe Doug isn't TMNT fan, but he have a point
"Shame on you, that only now are you realizing that letting Michael Bay direct this is a bad idea"
My only objection is that Michael Bay loves US army even more than explosions, so turtles and Splinter would originate from american soldiers :D

Also I already wrote it, but anyway
Alien=/=extraterrestrial
Check dictionary, "alien" can also be used to describe something that is pretty unusual or doesn't fit. And in such manner turtles might be described as "alien"
There still might be some hope left

Nick Holmgren

Feb 13, 2010
Except this is Bay, so when he tries something new it is more likely to suck than not.
What changes to transformers were good?

It is the same problem.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
80s Turtles fan here, will always remember the first two movies fondly. Sadly, all this controversy seems moot to me, not only given the legendarily bad producing team involved but the huge age jump between the Turtles' most definitive incarnation and now.

Your older audience, the ones who would understand a 'gritty' reboot, are used to the silly 80s show. If you stick closely to that, the kid audience you could have pulled in like hotcakes twenty years ago might not even know what TMNT is (might be wrong, I'm not sure how popular the '03 version was among the younger crowds). That's the trap they're in, the same one that plagues Transformers and any other 80s cartoon properties they want to try rebooting.

If we had a better director involved I would suggest an attempted hybridization of the two styles. Among other things that made TMNT stand out was their wisecracks, along with the widespread introduction of family-friendly ninja type characters, with oriental weapons unlike anything kids had ever seen before. There's no rule that says they can't be serious and practice all the best aspects of ninjitsu while also being goofballs when not under the disciplined eye of their master. In fact, I'd consider it implied more than once that one of the reasons they win is due to unorthodox tactics and a sense of humour in contrast to the Shredder's constant gloom and doom.

Names can change. Shredder's been an alien too. But if he's serious about the whole 'alien turtles' thing... eh, I don't think I would've watched it anyway.

OneTwoThreeBlast

Jun 24, 2010
WhiteFangofWar said:
Your older audience, the ones who would understand a 'gritty' reboot, are used to the silly 80s show. If you stick closely to that, the kid audience you could have pulled in like hotcakes twenty years ago might not even know what TMNT is (might be wrong, I'm not sure how popular the '03 version was among the younger crowds). That's the trap they're in, the same one that plagues Transformers and any other 80s cartoon properties they want to try rebooting.
This is an excellent point that never would have occurred to me. You get my Gold Star for Excellence :)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
You won't call him Dr. Eggman for the same reason we won't call that ending Mass Effect.
...What?! I grew up in a Nintendo house during the 90's and still think Dr. Eggman is a stupid name.

---

I knew the comics were different but I never actually read any of them. Most of my info from them comes from cracked anyway and my mind was a little bit blown when I read about the Shredder arc. Honestly all I'd like to see from the movie is a good film-adaptation of Bebop and Rocksteady but I don't know if those characters were big in the last iteration of the show. It would also be cool to see a Shredder who doesn't remind me of a duck (sorry but in the movies his mask/helm looked like something out of Duck-Tales to me).

My mind is a little blown by the Mr. Freeze thing though: I watched the Adam West show as a kid and don't remember ever seeing the guy.

vid87

May 17, 2010
3 things:

-Thank you Bob for explaining the "Everyone's Raphael" art - that bugged the hell out of me when I was a kid.

-I admit I was (and still am to some extent) part of the rage against the "alien" origins, largely due to my growing up with 80's cartoon. But having heard the director's explanation that it coincides with the comics and is actual canon to some degree, I honestly feel bad about being pissed with them: I thought they were changing it because the studio simply didn't care what they made and were using this debacle as a way bring in new people not already familiar with the Turtles (and get free publicity). Am I still skeptical about this being good? Sure, but not as much as before.

-Suggestion Bob - since everyone is talking about "Eggman" now, I think it might be interesting to segway into Sonic next. And here's something weird that I think warrants discussion: I was thumbing through an Archies Sonic comic at a supermarket and came to a part at the end where Robotnik was apparently killed and a storeroom filled with HUNDREDS of Robotnik clones, each with their own design, activates the redesigned Robotnik we know as Eggman in current versions. My one question at least for now - was this strictly the comic's way of introducing Eggman to American audiences and retconning Robotnik, or are there really several clones that Sonic will have to deal with at some point?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Dr. Witticism said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hey Bob I got a proposal for you: We'll admit we weren't into the underground comics first when YOU admit you had ZERO understanding of "that other thing mentioned" in last week's episode. Deal?

You won't call him Dr. Eggman for the same reason we won't call that ending Mass Effect.
Holy shit. It took a lot of courage for him to post last week's video on here, regardless of whether or not you agree with his opinion. Do we now have to make non-Mass Effect threads into Mass Effect threads as well, now? Please just stop already. Go create a separate thread like all the other ME3 threads. There are so many already; we don't need people to hijack non-ME3 threads now.

Plus, the two examples aren't in any way similar. ME3's ending was made by the same people, based on the same universe, and incorporated the same characters and elements from the first two. There are no other versions of Mass Effect. There are no preceding comics or other Mass Effect things from other mediums or times. That's it.
I think you're confusing courage with hypocrisy, or did I miss the part in <color=green>Going Green where he DIDN'T applaud Jeff John's "caving into" fan pressure and ret-conning Hall Jordan's transformation into Parallax?

And as for "preceding" material for Mass Effect? Try the preceding games, novels or even the rest of ME3 excluding the last 10 minutes. It's not that the story was transplanted from another medium or given to different creators, but that, like with changing Robotnik's name to Eggman, they made it into something that it wasn't.
Just a point of order here: The Kyle Rayner "Green Lantern" lasted a DECADE, and while HEAT probably claims a certain amount of credit for the retcon, it was Geoff Johns - a fan who worked his way up to be an official DC Wrtier - who CHOSE to bring Hal back.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Hazy992 said:
Axolotl said:

What year were you born? No I'm being serious because TMNT was the shit in the 80's and 90's.
I know it was popular then, I just can't grasp why anyone cares about it now. I mean I get caring about today's pop culture stuff and I get caring about the great works of the past but I just cannot understand why people give a damn about the pop trash of the past. Hell I can sort of get why people might want to go back and experience/revisit the franchise from back when it was something, but why care what they do with it now? It's time has passed, that Hollywood is making a film of it should merely highlight their own idiocy and artistic bankruptcy. But somehow there are people who care, I just don't get that. Why? Why care now?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Axolotl said:
Hazy992 said:
Axolotl said:

I know it was popular then, I just can't grasp why anyone cares about it now. I mean I get caring about today's pop culture stuff and I get caring about the great works of the past but I just cannot understand why people give a damn about the pop trash of the past. Hell I can sort of get why people might want to go back and experience/revisit the franchise from back when it was something, but why care what they do with it now? It's time has passed, that Hollywood is making a film of it should merely highlight their own idiocy and artistic bankruptcy. But somehow there are people who care, I just don't get that. Why? Why care now?
I dunno they just do. If it was a big part of their childhood memories then they're bound to remember it arent they?

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Dr Robotnik's actually always been called Eggman D=

In the Japanese release, he was literally called Eggman, they changed it to "Dr Ovi Robotnik" for the European and American release to avoid a lawsuit from the Beatles (the name comes from the song "I am the Walrus"). It's a combination of Latin and (I think) Polish, and literally translates into English as "Egg Man". Fun fact, that!

Though, I will agree that Robotnik is a much cooler name. Why they changed it in the newer stuff to match the Japanese versions is a mystery. Though, the newer stuff is a mystery in itself, I guess.

(*sigh* when recreational time travel is finally invented, I think I'm going to spend all my holidays in the 90s...)

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'd say it's the combination of:

-A recognizable brand that has an established fan base or the potential to create a new one.

-Nostalgia being a very powerful influence on emotion and judgment.

-The allure of film, specifically live-action, making something that can never actually happen seem possible.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Speaking of properties you did not know were based on comics...

The incredibly dark and fucked-up version that was more horror than comedy.

The movie and the comic are pretty similar, except about the intentions of the main character. In the movie, he's damned himself to be a bad person, but in the comic he's more concerned with the Catholic notion of sin and redemption as he lights candles and confesses for every person he kills.

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
After last week, I think it was smart to go with the TMNT topic and not "the other topic." Heaven knows I'm still sore about it.

I think part of the problem with TMNT is Michael Bay's track record with Transformers. The success (box office wise) of that franchise means that Bay can go ahead with the same kind of formula as Transformers. The title change may have triggered a pre-emptive reaction because now all us nostalgia-tinged grown-ups are expecting TMNT to go the same route. With the first movies, we did okay (until, you know, the third one... or the second one, in my opinion). Now we're all afraid that Michael Bay will "Bay it up."

There's a few more points that I could make about fan influence on "art" based on what you've said in the video, but we're going to let that dog lie (though obviously other commenters aren't so restrained).

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Huh, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care about Micheal Bay's live action turtle rendition cause even as a kid I knew the old movies sucked. Of course, I never saw really saw any of the old series.

OneTwoThreeBlast

Jun 24, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
MovieBob said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Dr. Witticism said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hey Bob I got a proposal for you: We'll admit we weren't into the underground comics first when YOU admit you had ZERO understanding of "that other thing mentioned" in last week's episode. Deal?

Holy shit. It took a lot of courage for him to post last week's video on here, regardless of whether or not you agree with his opinion. Do we now have to make non-Mass Effect threads into Mass Effect threads as well, now? Please just stop already. Go create a separate thread like all the other ME3 threads. There are so many already; we don't need people to hijack non-ME3 threads now.

Plus, the two examples aren't in any way similar. ME3's ending was made by the same people, based on the same universe, and incorporated the same characters and elements from the first two. There are no other versions of Mass Effect. There are no preceding comics or other Mass Effect things from other mediums or times. That's it.
I think you're confusing courage with hypocrisy, or did I miss the part in <color=green>Going Green where he DIDN'T applaud Jeff John's "caving into" fan pressure and ret-conning Hall Jordan's transformation into Parallax?

And as for "preceding" material for Mass Effect? Try the preceding games, novels or even the rest of ME3 excluding the last 10 minutes. It's not that the story was transplanted from another medium or given to different creators, but that, like with changing Robotnik's name to Eggman, they made it into something that it wasn't.
Just a point of order here: The Kyle Rayner "Green Lantern" lasted a DECADE, and while HEAT probably claims a certain amount of credit for the retcon, it was Geoff Johns - a fan who worked his way up to be an official DC Wrtier - who CHOSE to bring Hal back.
Don't tell us we set back gaming ten years when OUR favorite stories and characters get trampled on and the "official" creators CHOSE to address OUR grievances quicker than Valve time. This isn't a transformation story ark we could've had some decent justification or explanation. This is a NON-conclusion born of a NON-choice the director "says" he put in just to be controversial. It doesn't fit with the way Mass Effect tells it's story at all. It's made all the more personal by the fact that we had been repeatedly told that the choices WE had made in the game would effect the story's outcome, That's NOT what we got Bob. It's not that we got a unhappy ending like Hal did (Hal had a Good reason to turn evil), we didn't get a WORTHY ending. Hell have you even heard of the Indoctrination theory? The very PREMISE of that is that Shepard was brainwashed into submitting to them, and the the final choice is actually a hallucination. FANS WOULD RATHER BELIEVE SHEPARD FAILED THAN ACCEPT THE ENDING BIOWARE GAVE THEM. And the fact Bioware caved so quickly implies that they had already planned for this. In other words, deliberately withholding the REAL conclusion to the Mass Effect story just to milk the fans. Along with all the other crap Bioware pulled with this game, can you understand why we would be a liiiiiiiiiiiitle upset by this?
Ugh, great. Now it's a conspiracy theory. I hate it when people think they know what others are thinking based on specious arguments and unsubstantiated conclusions.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Im a huge fan of the 1990 film...probably just nostalga but it had a certain gritty realism

*sigh* YES...I know Im talking about gritty realism in regards to TMNT

didnt like the 2007 movie though....