The Big Picture: The Boot, Part One

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Not sure I agree with your list, Bob, but it's certainly interesting and reveals the amount of thought you put in pop culture.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
I would rather like to see Men in Black & Terminator added to and expanded as opposed to being remade. The movies are amazingly good and do not need to bear the risk of being replaced with potentially similar movies to the crap-spewing garbage of today.

Also YES OMG YES we so need DINOSAURS back! I watched it every Sunday morning when I was growing up in England and it just really helped in contributing to the end of a 'good week'. Two seasons is sooo not enough.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Ukomba said:
You just know Star Wars is going to be in the top 5.
I dunno if A New Hope will be on his list but rebooting Star Wars--The OT--was what came to mind for me, too.

As soon as I heard about Disney buying Lucas Arts I realized that it's just a matter of time before they remake the originals. Moreover I wouldn't be surprised if they start off with the prequels but re-write them to make them consistent and better (I love you, George, but you just CANNOT do romance, Bro).

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I agree with everything in this video

expaclly re-booting the gummi bears cartoon

and I seriously question why there is not an MIB show already I mean a live action drama

Its not rocket science other "nerdy" prime time stuff is doing well but its currently a majority of fanisty (Once a pone a time, grimm, game of thrones, etc) we need more sci-fi stuff all that's out there is falling skies and if that crazy show can be popular a show based on a already popular franchise should do well

serously someone should right now go pitch this to someone MIB the tv show
how hard would it be just make CSI (well CSI:new york but CSI:new york is the suckest of the CSIs copy Miami that ones better I woould say las vagas but that one went down hill after grissom left) with aliens I am telling you it would be a hit

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
Interesting choice there Bob, so here's my take on each of them:

Howard the Duck: I really liked this movie as a kid, so I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of this, especially with today's CGI and special effects. I could see the reboot as a TV series or even a web series, but not a full-length movie.

Terminator: Personally, no. The Terminator series has already had two "reboots" and both are just average in my book. Time to let this series go into the big Skynet in the...well, sky.

The Gummi Bears: I was an avid watcher of the show and it's home on The Disney Afternoon time block throughout my elementary school days. Now with that said, would I want a reboot? Honestly, no. Sure it was a great show in its heyday, but for me, I really can't invest in a show that I had a passing liking for. Now the TV show Bonkers, on the other hand, I could deal with a reboot since I really enjoyed that show, along with Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers.

Dinosaurs: I would watch this show on and off as a kid. It was odd, but entertaining. Would I want a reboot? Not really, but just like with Howard the Duck, I could see the reboot as a web series or maybe as an on demand type series that could later be put on DVD.

Men in Black: Yes, but only in comic/novel form. The TV series was just OK for me and the movies are just fine the way they are.

Can't wait to see what the next half of the list is next week Bob!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, Men In Black could make a pretty solid live action TV series. Take something like the V reboot's level of special effects with some funny and dark writing and it could be pretty nice.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
You know what I want, Star Trek as a TV series.

Also a reboot of the Fire Emblem anime would be nice.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Trishbot said:
1 - Voltron. Seriously. It's 2013. What the f***. Where is this? I haven't heard "And I'll form the head" in YEARS. That's a crime against humanity.
If you get a new Voltron, then I'd better get a new Star Blazers.

FirebirdXR

Feb 22, 2011
A reboot of ReBoot better be on there next time Bob!

Let's see... what else can we have?

- Swat Cats
- Robocop (We are getting a movie, I think. But I won't count it until I see a teaser.)
- Speed Racer (Done in a similar style to the Redline anime movie, which was awesome!)
- Spider-Man (because the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon suck ass!)
- Megas XLR (Ok, not a reboot, per se. I really just want to see more of this... along with Samurai Jack)

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
Trishbot said:
9 - Metropolis. A silent, black & white German movie from the 30s... and easily one of the greatest, most influential movies ever made that was so forward-thinking that we're currently using technology in this movie that didn't even exist when the movie was made. Star Wars stole most of its iconic concepts directly from this movie. It has everything: sexy robot women, class warfare, romance, action, highly relevant sociopolitical themes, mad scientists... Give this thing a modern budget, get someone like Alex Proyas on it, and watch it influence movies for the NEXT 100 years.

1 - Voltron. Seriously. It's 2013. What the f***. Where is this? I haven't heard "And I'll form the head" in YEARS. That's a crime against humanity.
First, I recommend searching for the Osamu Tezuka version of "Metropolis". I got to see both the silent movie and the anime at a double showing several years ago. I would think that would be your reboot.

As for Voltron, only if they did an update of Go Lion (the show that Voltron was based off of). And do not cut the hell out of the series just to please the American audience.

As for my personal reboots, I agree that an update of Gummi Bears is overdue. And Pirates of Dark Water needs to have its finish. But the show I would pay to see ended is Exo Squad. That show ended way too soon.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Men In Black 1 is amazing...especially the ending.

Men In Black 2 is awful

Men In Black 3 is good! I liked the story and it wrapped-up the J and K arc well.

If they were to Reboot it they would have to bring in new characters...otherwise there's not really anywhere else to go with the characters J and K.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
the antithesis said:
I can't think of anything likely to be on the list next week that hasn't already had a reboot/remake in recent years. He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers, G.I. Joe. All been done, for good or ill. Some of the stuff I might put on my own list is obscure crap from the 70's you kids never even heard of. Like Superstretch and Microwoman, Jason of Star Command, Misfits of Science, Super Hero Globetrotters...

Woo! Just thought of one that should be on Bob's list next week and he'll likely feel shame at having forgotten it if it's not: Thundarr the Barbarian.

Super Hero Globetrotters itself was kind of a reboot of the Impossibles: Fluid Man = Liquid Man; Coil Man = Spaghetti Man; and they didn't even bother to change Multi Man's code name.

A reboot of Thundarr the Barbarian would IMHO the only way it could come back as the original is way too goofy for modern audiences. For example, many of the the people are wearing what amounts to 2,000 year old hand me downs creating the impression that the 1994 disaster was recent.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Dinosaurs would only be good as a reboot if they skip past the ending of the original series. Sure most of the adult audience knew the history so could've predicted "Winter is coming", but to have it as a result of a Chernobyl-style industrial disaster, and then end the show on that note, was a complete reversal of tone from what the rest of the series was built on. That's like ending the Simpsons by having Berns's plant destroying Springfield. It might happen that way anyway, it's just not funny and not in the best interest of the show.

I'd like to see a reboot of Captain N, complete with an updated character roster and over-their-heads jokes myself. Possibly a fresh Transformers cartoon that's not overstylized manga bots or Spongebob SquarePrime. One can have robot carnage without 30 thrusters, megaton guns half the size of the characters, or the ridiculous upgrade mods later ported to the films.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
LordLundar said:
Deathlyphil said:
How about ReBoot? It had some amazing ideas behind it, it was just a pity that it was made in the very beginning of a fully CGI cartoon. It would definitely be easy enough to update the concept.

EDIT
I think that's the first time I have ever been ninja'd. It feels... kinda nice.
I'm more inclined to just see them actually finish of the story arc they had going first.

Honestly, it was at the point where both sides decided "eff civility, it's time to end this" and gearing up to do exactly that. Both sides are ready and the resulting battleground was likely to make Michael Bay wet his pants and then...

Nothing. No more development.

(yes, I'm aware about the web comic and such. I've read it. It doesn't answer anything)
There's a webcomic? Why wasn't I informed?

Yes, a continuation from the end of series four would be amazing. Only thing is, it would look completely out of place given how much cgi has advanced. Now if they did took the Games Industry route and re-did all the graphics, i.e. HD'ing the lot, then they could continue on from series 4 without too much of a jump in aesthetics.