The Big Picture: The Boot, Part Two

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Like everyone else said. The problem with the Harry Potter movies was not too much filler, but NOT ENOUGH filler.

There is a very good reason why it's the most fanfictioned IP in history. Harry Potter was never really about the Star Wars-style Hero's Journey thing the way the movies tried to present it, but about relationships, character dynamics, and a magical version of school life.

I don't want to more about the history of the Hallows, or whatever, but more about Pavati Patil's and Lawender Brown's friendship, about how Marietta Edgecombe is dealing with her face spelling "sneak", about the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan being awesome, about Dolores Umbridge being awful, about the trio sneaking down to Hagrid's hut on a winter afternoon for a butterbeer or something, and more about Luna Lovegood being adorable.

johe

Nov 18, 2009
It's never really escaped it's stigma, both from it's goofy premise and the not very good at all TV show, but Animorphs could honestly be ripe for a reboot. The entire premise of the series is that the kids, though blessed with this crazy power fantasy ability to become animals, they're also tasked to be the only front of resistance for a Body Snatchers style invasion. As the series goes on the characters deal with PTSD, continuous paranoia, and rationalizing what amounts to war crimes.

The entire thing worked well enough in books, but the TV series ran into issues of both budget and network standards. It could make either a great Animated show, which would allow for a good way to avoid budget issues, though TV CG might be at a point where it could handle the crazy alien designs and obviously the morphs.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
johe said:
It's never really escaped it's stigma, both from it's goofy premise and the not very good at all TV show, but Animorphs could honestly be ripe for a reboot. The entire premise of the series is that the kids, though blessed with this crazy power fantasy ability to become animals, they're also tasked to be the only front of resistance for a Body Snatchers style invasion. As the series goes on the characters deal with PTSD, continuous paranoia, and rationalizing what amounts to war crimes.

The entire thing worked well enough in books, but the TV series ran into issues of both budget and network standards. It could make either a great Animated show, which would allow for a good way to avoid budget issues, though TV CG might be at a point where it could handle the crazy alien designs and obviously the morphs.
I would rather wait with a live action version until we might afford to entirely CG animate the morphed forms, not just the process, but the characters' animal bodies as they move, fight, and emote.

Animal actors have never worked, putting voiceover on a gorilla will always just end up looking like someone talking while a random gorilla is looking around with a dumb look on it's face.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
Babylon 5 is A Song of Ice and Fire in space.
I want HBO to handle B5 as it handled Game of Thrones.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
A Harry Potter reboot? Not sure how that would work... though a "Game of Thrones"-esque TV show sounds pretty good.

Also, Hell Yeah on the Gargoyles reboot! I`d love to see a re-imagining of that show... to bad the Disney executives don't seem to know a good show if it bit them in the face...

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Super-teen extraordinare! Freakazoid! Freakazoid! Seriously, in an age of superheroes getting rebooted left right and center, it's a wonder nobody has tried to bring Freakazoid back to life yet.

EDIT: Here's a thought on Potter: Just do something else set in the same universe? First idea: prequel series set in the middle ages, and an X-Men style 'good vs evil battle but both sides are hated by the muggles' thing. They could explore the rise of the Dark Arts, the turbulent state of wizard-muggle relations, all against the backdrop of witch-hunts and general medieval insanity.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
CrazyGirl17 said:
A Harry Potter reboot? Not sure how that would work... though a "Game of Thrones"-esque TV show sounds pretty good.
Complete with all the sex and violence? ;)

I can imagine something like Merlin (if you guys get that in the States). Or maybe more like the Worst Witch TV series, with general school-of-magic happenings.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
If I owned all the Harry Potter movies, I'd do a marathon.
A DVD boxset is only about £20 these days. Or you could fill in the ones you don't have by buying second hand off Amazon (my most favouritest way to acquire DVDs ^_^ ).

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, I'm disagreeing in the forums. None of these things should be rebooted - there's way too much original talent to be wasting time on stale old stuff. How about encouraging the next generation, rather than bloated nostalgia? TV is actually doing this right now with amazing shows like The Americans, Bob's Burgers, Girls and Enlightened, to mention only a few.

With such an embarrassing wealth of original new shows, why look to the past?

Carrion22

Apr 23, 2013
Should true grit have been rebooted? it differed from the original but was still amazing.

and dont forget that it is a hypothetical wish list.

an upadted and better acted B5? bruce-made in ikea-boxenlieter ffs and that was his highest water mark.

with more on the dilgar and minbari wars, more about the other races?

better CGI, more uber ship destroying battles. yeah sorry i need to change the ol boxers for a sec.

i can think of many things i have seen and at the time i was WOW awsome. and now tech has changed and also acting has changed those things could be even more awsome.

take a look at the old ww2 films. lots of stoic pricks not complaining about being used as cannon fodder, and every hit as a clean kill. saving pvt ryan took than, tossed it away and made it real for the first time. people were screaming, limbs were cut off, blood was shown. and now the old films are being revisitied and remade. same story, same events. more accurate

Ragnarok2kx

Nov 18, 2009
Ukomba said:
They already re-made Babylon 5, it's called Mass Effect.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees it this way.

And to stop this post from being completely meaningless, here's Londo Mollari's thoughts on the nature of humanity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNBJ5o-b7s

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
My problem with a Babylon 5 reboot is that I wouldn't want anybody else to play the characters, all the actors are just exactly perfect for the role (Although I will admit I was never fond of Ivanova's actress). Marcus played by somebody else? Garibaldi? Franklin? G'kar? Londo? Sheridan?

No thank you.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I enjoyed the Gargoyles series...my only real problem with it is that if you miss an episode you will have absolutely NO idea what's going on with the story.

Beyond that, I wanna see a Duck Tales reboot. :3

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Man... rebooting B5 with modern special effects and maybe some more consistently good acting would be amazing. It's hands down my favorite Scifi series ever created. I even went on to absolutely love the what Staczynski had to offer. He had some amazing guest writers on that show as well. That would have been my personal number 1... but I still have the DVD's of the original and love them. I wouldn't mind seeing them released on bluray with a better screen resolution though.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Good list overall. I especially like the idea of Harry Potter reformatted...as long as it doesn't try to be a gritty reboot.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
B-5 would be hard simply because the actors who played those characters ARE those characters. I mean, yeah, they were known for other things, but come on. Who else could play off each other as well as the two who play G'kar and Londo (especially hard since one of them is no longer with us). And Walter Koeing as Mr. Bester. Best. Villain. Ever.

I would want to see a continuation of the series (no, that spin off show doesn't count and doesn't exist), going into the Telepath War that we're always warned about. Still, if they do reboot it, I'd check it out. I just hope that the characters don't suffer the same fate as that fighter pilot did: Companies meddling with character input and changing everyone to make them 'more appealing'.