The Big Picture: The Devil & Mr. Parker

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Retcon's suck generally speaking. There are times they are necessary. In general though just go a different direction with the story. It is far less infringement on the fandom.

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
*applauds* Thank you.

Personally, I think one of the main reasons Comic Books have so much trouble being keeping sales up is this retcon habit they have anyways. Its hard to keep a loyal reader base if there's no continuity, or it gets changed whenever the editor lets a writer get away with dipshittery.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
But we've already had a bunch of spider-man re-boots already. I think it's time to just let this series go. That or...

Remake the entire Spider-man timeline and have make some actual sense! That'll do it!

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Aaaaaaaand anyone who watches Linkara will already know all of this. How about pulling a Phelous and ranting about the Silent Hill continuity?

radicaledward92

Dec 29, 2009
Raithnor said:
"Make a deal with the Marvel Devil. He has no idea what he's doing."

I see what you did there.
Really Bob...You couldve chosen a better topic to discuss then just super heroes again :(

Superhyperactiveman

Jul 23, 2009
I'd say something about this, but literally every opinion I have about this comic was perfectly summed up by Linkara on Atop the 4th wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIkTX9kVG4&NR=1

Yeah, I don't know how to make the little video box in the comment, nor do I care enough to learn...

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Here are my two cents: Get someone to write up a plot about Spider-Man dying from an STD he contracted from Black Cat, due to her silly "bad luck" powers (which are currently in effect now). And, here's the kicker, the only way to revive him is through cloning.

Suck on that, Joe Quesada.

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
I have to agree on the reason comics struggle; they really are wierd and crappy. Apart from some Deadpool (who specifically takes the piss out of comics), I've never got into Marvel beyond films and animated TV. Even DC don't do any better (though they seem less bizarre), I tried to read 'classics' like The Dark Knight Returns but just got... bored by comic book style. Yet I can happily read Judge Dredd and have dipped my toe into the Sinister/Dexter world (juries still out), so maybe it's a stylistic difference between British and US comics I just don't enjoy?

MadGodXero

Dec 6, 2009
I was never able to get into comics, American comics at least. Manga, on the other hand.....yeah. I like it.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
The thing is, I knew about this, and I was more pissed off about Spider-Man actually agreeing make a deal with the devil when he's supposed to be a noble hero or some junk. Also, why's Harry Osborn alive again?

Apparently, the only explanation they gave was "It's magic, we don't have to explain it!" And that pisses me off more than anything, they they can just DO THAT and get away with it like nothing.

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Going to the topic, the reason nobody reads comics that have mainstream movie licenses is because they suck, are stupid and are hermetic. Specially now a days where it seems anything marvel touches turns into a torrent of flies. When you have a character pass trough different teams constantly and never give any real closure to them, this bloat happens and they need to do fresh stuff without breaking the status quo, reason why we end with the crapfest that the mainstream comic market currently is.

This of course does not apply to creator productions or short stories with a well planned arc, there is a reason why the Vertigo line is so well respected and there are loads of indi comics miles better than the marvel and DC rehashes, hell, the reason manga works better than comics is again because of the self contained stories, they are stories that will end someday and are always under the control of the same creator making them keep a clear focus or at the very least, not go to the crapper as quickly as today's arcs.

Windup Bird

Sep 1, 2010
There's no rhyme or reason to who Spiderman is nowadays, this is a nightmare I hope they could wake him from. But that'd be yet another retcon, wouldn't it? They should've taken the Ben Reilly route. Really. Leave an older, retired spiderman move on and have a family and a let younger one keep on swinging.

The endemic problem of comic books is that they cannot ever end. This and the need to make a shock theater of the proceedings, constantly trying upstage what the competition does.

That's why I've given up on the mainstream and only read self contained stories.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
who says the devil has to be completely evil all the time? didnt he already say that the devil was more of a trickster in religious literature anyway?

MrhalfAwake

Nov 17, 2010
Frankly Im to busy enjoying the Marvel Adventures line to care about what's going down 616 wise.

also I never really liked Mary Jane. Really all I remember her ever doing was sitting around in lingerie, drinking and worrying during the 90s. Im not saying it's not proper for her to worry, I am saying she knew what she was in for when she married the guy.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I do agree that the deal with Mephisto is a little up in the air (may be too much of a fan to mind) but I call a big fat BULLSHIT about the fact that while those 2 were married, the stories kept getting stale. Was 'The Other' storyline stale? Nope. The Second Molten Man? Maximum Carnage? Torment? Venom's 1st appearance? Coming Home? Happy Birthday? Acts Of Vengeance?

I will join the angels' side and say that things COULD and SHOULD have been resolved in another way when the dissolving of the Parkers and Aunt May's death is concerned but Bob's opinion about the stories has more holes than Spongebob.

gusplaysmagic said:
Ahem... Spiderman is a crappy superhero.
Says who? A troll who has absolutely nothing to offer to a conversation?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Because the writers are old, they forget that there's a third option that's better than married spidey and single spidey combined: Teenaged spidey.