The Big Picture: The Devil & Mr. Parker

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Right... ok fun to know.

I demand a rename this of this entire video series. The Big Picture? Because how Marvel retconed Spidey's marriage is the hot topic on the lips of today's generation?

Banal Facts About Bob's Nerdy Hobbies. hrrm not much of a ring, work on it.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Interesting points... but the comic still sucks. Let's run through it, shall we?

1: Aunt May gets shot, and no one can fix a freaking bullet wound?! There's a guy in the X-Men who can heal any injury for crying out loud!

2: Mephisto wants Peter and MJ's marriage...why?! Maybe if they gave a specific reason... But I doubt it's a good one...

3: Also, I'm pretty sure Mephisto is mainly a Ghost Rider villain not a Spider-man villain. (Even if they have met before.)

4: Okay, so no one remembers who Spider-man is... does that include characters like Venom, who knew his identity long before the world did? (And no, I haven't read the comic, nor would I ever want to.)

5. My biggest problem with the comic is that Spiderman, a heroic character, makes a freaking deal with the devil just because some prick didn't like him being married?!

So, let's sum it all up: Spidey went and traded a loving marriage just to be with his geriatic aunt, by making a deal with the devil...

In the words of the great comic book reviewer Linkara: "Joe Quesada, YOU! ARE! A! HACK!

I don't think I can forgive Marvel for this travesty, esecially when it happened to one of my favorite comic book characters. So fuck you, Joe Quesada, and thanks for ruining Spiderman for everyone.

"With great power comes gresat responsbility" my foot.

FUN FACT: Apparently, one of the ways the much-aligned "Clone Saga" was to end was by having Mephisto somehow involved.

Yeah... hindsight's a *****, ain't it?

Weasker

Sep 16, 2010
Hey Bob, if you happen to have a list of toppics to discuss in this show, even if you put my suggestion at the bottom of such list, I would really like to hear your point of view between comic books and manga. The good and bad things that come from franchices that never end, go from writer to writer and mostly consist of the so called super hero who gets some power in a very convenient way (cursed with awesome), and franchices created and ended almost always by the same person (or group) and about 50% are "shonen" who have increasingly started to rely on unnecesary underage fanservice.
I think I have yet to hear you talk about manga, don't even really know if you read any. But I heard you talk about some intresting things from Japan so please consider my request.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
So... that's it? Three minutes of telling what happened and then it just ends? Did the Escapist make you cut out the several minutes of you telling your opinion on the whole mess because they were sick of people arguing on the forum or something?

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
4: Okay, so no one remembers who Spiderman is... does that include characters like Venom, who knew his identity long before the world did? (And no, I haven't read the comic, nor would I ever want to.)
Yep, that includes everyone (except Mary Jane, for some magic reason). Until of course Peter ends up revealing his identity to the entirety of the Avengers and Fantastic Four within a year anyways. And as he explains it (how he knows I have no idea), as soon as he reveals his identity to them they will automatically remember having known his identity before. Oy!

All in all this was Quesada waving a magic wand and changing everything he didn't like about the comic: the marriage, Harry's death, the new, stupid powers, etc. Retcons can be done well, this one wasn't.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
I have been enjoying comic-books (and spider-man) since before i could read, hell i had a good grip on the English language when i was 6. I have read all the essentials and even the clone saga (both of them), and guess what? OMD does not bother me in the slightest, i do not care if 20 years of marriage (most of the stories were HUGE fucking drags, i am looking at you JMS). A little blank slate when it comes to spider-mans love-life is actually a good thing.

The post-OMD spider-man is actually pretty fun, JMS's last years on spider-man made me cancel my subscription and it was only when i read the new spider-man that i decided to renew it. All in all, despite the massive butt-hurt over OMD, spidey came out pretty well on this and i for one, am glad that it happened.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
And thats why I dont really read western comics. I would be all to willing to read a Spiderman inderpendant series (with a start and finish) but the actual overall comic, no thank you. Thats why I userly stick with manga as the Japanese reading audience tend to be a fickle bunch and most series are lucky to get past 100 chapters. The same goes for anime, most dont go beyond 30 episodes. Still this can also be a massive drawback with sudden endings or even cancelations.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
katsabas said:
I do agree that the deal with Mephisto is a little up in the air (may be too much of a fan to mind) but I call a big fat BULLSHIT about the fact that while those 2 were married, the stories kept getting stale. Was 'The Other' storyline stale? Nope. The Second Molten Man? Maximum Carnage? Torment? Venom's 1st appearance? Coming Home? Happy Birthday? Acts Of Vengeance?

I will join the angels' side and say that things COULD and SHOULD have been resolved in another way when the dissolving of the Parkers and Aunt May's death is concerned but Bob's opinion about the stories has more holes than Spongebob.

gusplaysmagic said:
Ahem... Spiderman is a crappy superhero.
Says who? A troll who has absolutely nothing to offer to a conversation?
DUDE, DONT FEED IT!!!

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
This was awesome!

It completely caught what I always found the most annoying abou long running comicseries: the WTH?-moments.

I laughed the whole video long:)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I only avoided superhero comics because I fear that I'm going to have to go back to the forties or something and read all the comics from the very beginning... Ugh.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Kimarous said:
Yeah, um... watch the #2 pick in the following video (about 25:55). It outlines all the problems with One More Day.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/27731-at4w-top15comicsineverreview
First video I thought of.

Ramrunner7

Jun 23, 2010
i got back into comics because bob did the escape to the movies Avengers episode. it seems like that paid off because now i knew everything that happened to spiderman before watching this video. thanks bob, i love comics

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
Your movie reviews are pointed and provacative.

These pieces too often stray from their thesises. Rather than discussing WHY comic books are weird, you just launched into a tangent about the Mephisto/Spider-Man thing. Why didn't you just make that your thesis statement? Because it happened (in comic book time) ages ago? I appreciate that you've been given free reign to rant, but could you at least make your arguments more direct and salient?

And could you please cut back on those back and white heads? They're fun, but their overuse understimulates me during a video blurb.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
When shit goes that far south I always like to hit the reset button and start over. Solves all of life's problems.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I like the series so far. It teaches me interessting things about nerddom I am too young to have witnessed myself.

But I have to second the motion about the faces. They get a bit stale.

EDB

Apr 5, 2005
Uh, okay? When the video started I believed you were going to discuss why comics didn't sell and how the industry might turn itself around in your own view. But then you spiraled into a tangent about Spider Man and some devil and a retcon. I didn't get anything out of your video other than 4 minutes of you re-explaining a controversial story that everyone discussed looong ago.