The Big Picture: Tooned Out

Ragnarok2kx

Nov 18, 2009
When Bob mentioned the Dragon Quest anime, I remember it being all kinds of awesome (for the time, anyways), but I didn't recognize the screenshot. A quick trip to wikipedia reveals that there were two mostly unrelated series based on Dragon Quest.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I only know The Power Team from Max Force (and then the rest of the team) appearing between about #200 and #300 of Captain SNES. It still seemed pretty bad even through that incredibly pixelated lens.

TheBestPieEver

Dec 13, 2011
Oh yes Bob. I am giving you that look. I will give you that look 'till the day that I die. Plus, the characters were all awfully drawn in that cartoon.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
DAnmit I went to a lot of trouble to repress knowledge of the Power Team. I'll get you for this Chiipman.

Bad enough to acknowledge that I'm old enough to have watch Supercade and the Pac Man series, and Pole Position, and probably others I haven't unrepressed yet.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Oh, and don't this the Japanese side too much credit for retro adaptations. They had some good stuff, but Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Art of Fighting, any attempt to touch Final Fantasy, all crap.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Seeing Darkstalkers in the thumbnail I thought he was gonna show the actual anime OVAs of it. I had no idea they made an american thing for it too XD.

I was gonna go ranting here, cause the anime is actually pretty damn good!

Here:

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Oh jesus please not the Power Team, I had all but forgotten that shit. Captain N was pure heroin injected into your brain compared to how painful the Power Team was. And yet, as a dumb kid, I still watched it infrequently, because it was at least tangentially related to games.

PS: Fucking hell I hated Eggplant Wizard's voice.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Ridiculously hot cat lady magically appears in your bedroom? yep I'm sure every single adolescent boy would have noooothing but clean thoughts the entire time. haha

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
You know what? When I was a kid, I liked Sonic Underground. That said the rest of my TV time was occupied with Wheel of Fortune and that Arthur show :p

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Does anyone remember Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm?

Where Nightwolf, the native american shaman is infact a technology loving computer genius, Sonya is basically the Leeroy Jenkins of the group (KOOMMBBAT TIME!) and Stryker is voiced by Ron Pearlman!

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
I loved Pole Position. What was wrong with it? Plus it was made by Jean Chalopin, one of the greatest cartoon directors ever.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
There was one Sonic Cartoon which I remember being quite good. It had lots and lots of surprisingly well done slapstick.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Falseprophet said:
I liked the Pole Position cartoon. Of course, I was 7 at the time. Let's just say it doesn't hold up.
Yeah, the only thing I remember about it was that there used to be a cartoon about race drivers fighting crime with their sentient cars and that my sister and I would have arguments about which of the cars was cooler (no points for guessing who argued for which, they were colour-coded after all). Also, that it taught me what a "barracuda" is.

But that opening... that opening... it makes that little kid in me retroactively embarrassed for ever watching it.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
So will he touch on Double Dragon? Cause best theme song ever.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Red X said:
Maybe his dad went through a terrible divorce and he learnt to stay away from women
Sylveria said:
You're got Felicia.. in your bed... and you want her to leave!?

I don't know, I think even a gay 13yr old would try and hit that.
Spacefrog said:
Not so sure, look at the other clip with them sitting at the table talking.
She's taller than him and yet he's looking down most of the time he's talking to her.
He's not looking at her eyes, that's for sure.
One more viable possibility
Felicia might have that horrible stench cats often have
You know that acidic-vinegar-ish smell

So we SEE her on TV and think that kid is a moron
When in reality he is just one tiny step away from violently puking on her :)

P.S.Also my inner perv can't stop wondering whether she purrs or moans.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fordo said:
My money would have been the OTHER sonic TV show, but maybe not...
Nah, by comparison that was amazing. I actually have fond memories of the 'other' one, maybe it's because I was six. An episode involving a growth-ray turning Tails into a giant Godzilla type springs into my mind.