The Big Picture: Trolling The 90s

vid87

May 17, 2010
Wow, I have (had?) that "Elvis" Stone Protector - I thought he was just a Ninja Turtle character I had never heard of lol.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Orekoya said:
drisky said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)
Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.
Or stuff like Project GKR after the booming popularity of The Mask.

I was thinking along the lines of ninja turtles rip offs like bike mice and street sharks were. Although the 90's did have a lot of shows with bumbling heros like those as well, its a 90's trope in its own right.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Its sad to think that I actually owned a couple of those toys.

And I'm looking forward to that Street Sharks episode. It will be jawesome.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I had all the battle trolls, and wow I Didn't know they weren't as popular. Someone gave me one of those crappy stone protectors trolls the Angus one. I never played with it. The battle trolls were awesome though I wish I still had them.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Are you going to do anything about the Biker Mice from Mars? I used to love that show... and now I can't remember anything about it.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)
I would like to see that as well, I had a bunch of Street Shark toys when I was little, and loved them, even though the show never aired here as far as I know. I actually think I still have them in a box somewhere for when I have kids. Same with the Biker Mice, but that cartoon did air here, and was awesome, just like Swat Kats.

OT: The real troll dolls were somewhat of a fad here as well when I was little, but there weren't really any knockoffs. I remember in elementary school, sooo many people had those things on their pencils and stuff. Also, their name here is awesome, Lykketroll (lit. Happiness Trolls).

Also, I think someone, somewhere missed a golden opportunity for a scene in a show, say, Full House, where the dad steps on a troll doll and goes "Who left these Dam Things here??"

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Did you say Princess Opal of Mithrandir?
Is she related to Gandalf?

Also, I liked that Trollz cartoon.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
So much nostalgia! and seeing that street sharks bit, wow that took me back... to a place I kinda hoped I'd never see again! Though I thought it was "jawsome" as a kid.

This also reminded me of a thing that came back when I was young for a bit, at least where I lived, Boglins, man the things you'll buy (or get your parents to buy you I suppose) as a kid

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Well that was one hell of a nostalgia trip for me.

drisky said:
Jawsome! a Street Sharks episode! I'm so excited I could swim though pavement. I don't think there is any other show more hilariously 90's then that one.

ForgottenPr0digy said:
Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs from space? Yes I remember.

Actually I think they did a crossover with the Street Sharks as well.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Oh my God, STREET SHARKS! The nostalgia...It hurts....

I really don't remember a lot about it, other than the fact that it was AWESOME.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Oh bloody hell, the voices for those trolls in the animated... thing are perhaps the most 90's thing I have ever heard...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, I used to watch that Stone Protector show well seen a few episodes of it!

Wait, what's so special or the backstories to Street Shark? I mean I know there were awesome and all.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
and I thought modern cartoons where bad.
Also can somebody please explain to me the appeal of the troll dolls seriously how did that become a craze twice?
altough i do find Dans rags to riches story pretty heartwarming.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
VanQ said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Don't lump SWAT Kats in with the rest of those shows. SK was actually good. I still love that theme song.
There needs to be an episode on the SWAT Kats. Just watching that opening again made me want to go back and watch that show.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Aircross said:
I never really got to know anything about Trolls despite growing up in the 90s. >.<

But I do remember half the 90s cartoons being super cheesy cash-ins while the other half were super good...

...like this one for instance:

0:39 Dat hair flip.
God, I remember that series. I loved both the older and newer Johnny Quest series, especially since it felt like there was continuity between the two...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ouch... my nostalgia...

Anyway, I remember enjoying Street Sharks, not quite as much as Ninja Turtles or Biker Mice from Mars but still enjoyable. Stone Protectors... that was a thing that happened, nuff said.

EDIT: I love this theme in a, "I remember that!" sort of way.

EDIT EDIT: I'm hoping for an Eek the Cat reference this month.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
My grandmother used to buy me those Battle Trolls, she didn't know what exactly they were, but she believed I'd like them, so whenever I visited she'd gift me one. I didn't know what it was all about either, I mean, I knew they were ugly and I didn't like them but I wouldn't tell her, so as not to hurt her feelings or get her worried about buying something else, so she kept buying them lol I remember having the "terminator" and the "punk", but there were more.