The Big Picture: Tropes vs. MovieBob

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I think I would rather have had the Jabberjaw episode this week. Is it too late for the Jabberjaw episode?

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
AWWWW I wanted an episode about Jabberjaw

OT: I started to not buy games with characters with unrealistic sexual characteristics. It really feels like pandering to the lowest common denominator. Team Ninja is the most obvious offender of this in the games industry but other devs do it too.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'm not really sure what to say other than this is a very professional way of dealing with the subject at hand.

The next question is what do we do about it?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Tropes vs. MovieBob

Debunking a recurring argument.

Watch Video
I think your final point is the most relevant (even though your others were equally true).

The Culture of Power (in this case, white heterosexual male) wants, perhaps subconsciously for some, to guarantee that games continue to be marketed toward them. That means every character must be "as viewed from My Cultural Frame."

The musclemen appeal to what we (as men) culturally believe (on average) that the ideal male hero should look like. What's more, their exaggerated features serve to highlight their viability as heroes. Big muscles = stronger, and so on.

Female characters are designed to appeal to what we (as men) culturally believe (on average) the ideal women should look like. What's more, their exaggerated features serve to highlight their viability as sexual creatures. Nice boobs are great, but have no real bearing on combat ability.

The established culture wants everything to be built around its own archaic specifications. It really has nothing to do with some agenda to keep women down, objectify them sexually, or any kind of mustache-twiddling evil scheme. It's just plain selfishness.

Seriously, it'd be like going to a buffet restaurant and insisting that everything on the buffet be made of chicken, because I like chicken. It has nothing to do with hating vegetables or anything... but it's clear I don't view vegetable-liking folks as equal to myself, as I'm too focused on what I like.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
So, were you just attempting to foreshadow the fact that you might do DBZ next week? Because that would be awesome.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Now I really want to play Big Boob Panty Ninja 12.
you do know that Big Boob Panty Ninja is a guy and his popularity in the 12. iteration baffles audiences, both internationally and in his native Absurdistan.

OT: i kinda have to agree with everything Bob said here and that unusual for me. well maybe not both pictures representing games as a whole had to be Nintendo-related.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I think the worst part of the whole Tropes thing is the fact she's gotten over 150,000$ and for what? To make what is basically youtube videos? That's absurd.

Take a look at this show, extra credits, yahtzee, etc... They make on average a 5 minute video a week and constantly put them out, she is making what amounts to 3 hours tops of videos and making way more than I'm sure anyone else gets paid, and for much less work too.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Whilst I do stand by my opinion she could self fund (I saw some videos and they seemed pretty decent and the thing you can do at home) I am rather annoyed at the backlash. Whilst I get that the unrealistic body's are a staple among Popular Jargon for a good millennial, woman were used as a representation of the ultimate goal in life. We do get story's about the bravery of woman, as we do with men, but as time progresses we get to the cultural point were the female body was scene less as a temple (Even if the woman herself wasn't seen as anything special) and began to degrade into the over-sexualised fantasy that are presented before you. Lara croft is good once in a while but when most female characters are Double D nymphomaniacs it gets rather annoying. I liked silent Hill 3 for the protagonist, who reacted like any person would to being thrown into a violent world that's out to get her. The new Tomb raider looks promising as they focus on Lara's transition from a scared society girl to a tough female character. Like a bowl of butterscotch it is good once and a while in-between you balanced diet but everyday is just bland and boring. So yes I support the woman who wants to make the series views, even if i do not agree with them, and, whilst unable to pay for the Kick-starter, I do support the idea of this video.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Well, I agree withe the sentiment, and I'm glad this was placed before the backlash. Now, I'll get to see this rise to absurd numbers when the teenage white male demographic comes a knocking.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
There hasn't been a good Big-Boobed Panty-Ninja since VII. And Big-Boobed Panty-Ninja X-2: More Panties was the worst idea ever. They should just quit now.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
...and we still live in a world where the majority of gamers use the word "rape" casually and offensively. There is quite a way to go guys...

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Oh come ON now! I agreed with almost everything, but I just have to say...

Big-Boobed Panty Ninja 7 was by far the jewel in the crown, The series has just gone so far downhill at this point they're actively mining.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
MovieBob said:
Tropes vs. MovieBob

Debunking a recurring argument.
THANK YOU.

Oh, by the gods, thank you for this video. Now when I have this argument for the nth time, I can post your video and say "Look. This."

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
There are times when I disagree with what you have to say Bob, but today is not one of those days. Today is one of the days when I want to stand up and give you an 80s movie slow clap and a high five. Good on you sir.