The Big Picture: Untransformed

Skunktrain

Nov 19, 2009
I was half expecting "The byzantine ... are weird" to replace "weird" with "depressingly predictable". After all, it all boils down to the well-known fact that sequels are the only thing that Hollywood knows make money and as long as it makes money they want to make more. Fun fact: "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" is the direct result of the first Transformers movie doing well, take from that what you will.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Reboots aren't that bad. For all the crap Bob heaps on the current Batman trilogy, it's important to remember that the 90s movies were not just terrible, but actually set back comic-based movies because of the abstract paint-by-numbers setting being more in line with the source material while the individual characters were almost unrecognizable without their names.

RickBloodaxe

Mar 1, 2011
I have to say I loved this video. Great job Bob. I don't always agree with your opinions but you were spot on here and this was a well thought out video. I nearly laughed out loud at work at the Hawkeye 'can't win them all' line.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
The live-action films are far from the worst thing to ever happen to Transformers.

And the next movie (which I hope gets marketed as "Trans4Mers") is scheduled for two years from now. Two years is a VERY long time in Hollywood-Land. A lot of things can happen.

Battle Catman

Jan 3, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
Glad that you brought up War For Cybertron, because I think that the only way that a Transformers movie will be any good is if High Noon writes it.
You mean, "if High Noon writes it and doesn't have to trim out the interesting parts to stuff it into a boring, "Gears of War" style shooter."

I played through WFC multiple times (achievement whore), and while the foundation for a solid story is there, they didn't do enough with it. I like that they touched on just why Megatron was leading an uprising against the Autobots--because all the other Primes were a bunch of power-hungry dicks who abused those they outclassed. And while the Decepticons stood for freedom from oppression in a sense, they were going about it the wrong way--murdering any and all Autobots they came across (even some who may have agreed with their opposition to the Primes' rule) and corrupting the very core of their planet. The burden of keeping the peace while still supporting the idea of "freedom for all sentient beings" falls to Optimus.

Of course, this is just what I gathered from the cutscenes, because I kind of zoned out during the actual gameplay part. It's like every time they had a chance to flesh out a character's motivations or goals, the game went "NOPE, STORY IS BORING LET'S GET BACK TO THE SHOOTY PART. HOPE YOU LIKE A RIDICULOUSLY OVERPOWERED MELEE BECAUSE YOU'RE GOING TO RUN OUT OF AMMO A LOT."

Seriously--people bash the Bay movies because they're "loud, obnoxious, the characters spout off bad one-liners, and there's so much spiky metal flying around." Really? That's the impression I got from WFC.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
This is why you have to lower your expectations and just be thankful for the parts they get right.
Alternatively, don't reward them for making shit films.

Casual Shinji said:
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.
Oh please, he's not the one whining every time someone says the audience for Big Dumb Fuck Film #266 might not, on the whole, be too intelligent.

Likewise, he said The Phantom Menace was simply a "meh" film and spent the time saying it was unworthy of the amount of derision it had received when you consider it on it's own merit.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Okay, Bob, um... the Spider-Man thing... Could you just tone it down a bit?

I'm not going to bash you for not having the highest opinion of the film's production history, it is - after all - Sony's attempt to keep a hold of the film rights to the character and stop them from returning to Marvel Studios. Nobody's disputing that, and yes it does sit on the douchebag side of the spectrum of the movie business. And, yes, it did have a pretty weak teaser trailer (second trailer was better IMHO, but I digress).

But when your criticisms of it start getting to the nitpick levels of deriding it over hair and wardrobe choices, and you use any mention of the word 'reboot' as an excuse to glower at it... well... I hate to say it but, you're kind of teetering on troll territory there.

Look, all I'm saying is if you're (publicly) building up this kind of animosity toward it, it just looks you're not going to approach it with an open mind, and we just won't trust your opinion when you come to review it.

All I'm saying is cautious optimism (in this case, the Transformers movies can go to hell) is a lot healthier than abject negativity. And anyway, as you pointed out a few weeks ago, X-Men: First Class was rebooted under similar circumstances (by those bastions of quality at 20th Century Fox [sarcasm]) and that turned out okay (not sarcasm).

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I hang around some Transformers fans on the internet and the only Transformers fans that seem excited about Transformers 4: the Quest for More Money are the fans who think that Micheal Bay can do no wrong and he's the greatest director who ever lived. The other Transformers fans see it as Transformers 4: More of the Same because Micheal Bay just doesn't grow or change as a director.

Perhaps Bob is right we are just damn lucky that every once in a while we get a big action movie that doesn't require you to leave your brain out in the car to enjoy it.

Kind of sad but watching people try to defend the dumbing down of movies or defending the lowest common denominator is often more fun that the films people defend.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I already knew the whole the general audience outweight the comicbook fan/ familiar with source materials but yeah I do agree that you can't win them all.

So wait are the Autobots and Decepticon are going to get a rebook design apperances or keeping the same over details look?

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Wait, there's another Transformers movie?

Meh. Didn't watch the last two, not going to watch this one.

conanthegamer

Sep 19, 2008
You ought to "Movie Misanthrope" to your Movie Bob title. Not saying that I don't agree with you on this one.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Michael Bay has millions of dollars of his own money, and two fairly successful actors willing to take big paycuts for his dream project. Why couldn't he finance this himself?

Sabrestar said:
Ah, someone else who hasn't forgotten the best line from MIB.
At the time, I thought that line was a brilliant insight. Now I realize it's the kind of justification that people who think they're smart use to build up their own sense of superiority. Recent research instead suggests that in some situations, individuals are smarter, but in others, groups are. Maybe 100 years ago you could be that brilliant lone scientist, but I don't think a single individual could have mapped the human genome.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

The Transformers movie was FANTASTIC!

Death of Optimus Prime! Megatron reborn as Galvatron! Orson Wells as Omnicron! Stan Bush's "The Touch"!

It was everything a Transformers fan could've ever wanted.

May 17, 2010
I love the whole us and them aspect to this. The nimrdo nation compared to Bob's sophisticated lovers of cinema who enjoy the fine film of G.I Joe and engage in intelligent discussions of the perkiness of an actress breasts while stating their opposition to misogyny.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
For anyone who wants to experience entertainment that actually respects the tf license you have to look no further than War for Cybertron and its sequel Fall of Cybertron which is out this year. The first game was great, the new one is looking mind blowingly fantastic.

Oh and Transformers Prime is also pretty effing awesome, best take on the TFs since Beast Wars, its second season starts soon.

Feb 13, 2008
Trishbot said:
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

The Transformers movie was FANTASTIC!

Death of Optimus Prime! Megatron reborn as Galvatron! Orson Wells as Omnicron! Stan Bush's "The Touch"!

It was everything a Transformers fan could've ever wanted.
Absoloutely. I have heard talk of some thing that says that it's related in some way, but I try and steer clear of cheap cash-ins. Especially those that sound like fap-fiction.

I mean, it's not like someone remade that movie, taking out some of it's best bits to fit it into their new canon, is it?

Now that would be worth getting upset over.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I still do not know why he is harping on the green lantern it was not that bad all things considered.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
LazyAza said:
For anyone who wants to experience entertainment that actually respects the tf license you have to look no further than War for Cybertron and its sequel Fall of Cybertron which is out this year. The first game was great, the new one is looking mind blowingly fantastic.

Oh and Transformers Prime is also pretty effing awesome, best take on the TFs since Beast Wars, its second season starts soon.
I would not say great its more a mediocre 3rd person shooter with so so story but probly the best TF game ever.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
I just want another X-men movie by the "first class" people... AND i wan them to do Juggernaut (my favorite character, but they F*&^%id it up last time, BIG TIME! Mutant? THINK AGAIN!), As far as Transformers... I'll stick with the new game, thankyou...