The Big Picture: Untransformed

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Falseprophet said:
Michael Bay has millions of dollars of his own money, and two fairly successful actors willing to take big paycuts for his dream project. Why couldn't he finance this himself?

Sabrestar said:
Ah, someone else who hasn't forgotten the best line from MIB.
At the time, I thought that line was a brilliant insight. Now I realize it's the kind of justification that people who think they're smart use to build up their own sense of superiority. Recent research instead suggests that in some situations, individuals are smarter, but in others, groups are. Maybe 100 years ago you could be that brilliant lone scientist, but I don't think a single individual could have mapped the human genome.
It's talking about mob-crowds.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,259
1,330
118
Woodsey said:
Casual Shinji said:
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.
Oh please, he's not the one crying every time someone says the audience for big Dumb Fuck Film #266 might not, on the whole, be too intelligent.
Well no, but that's because he's the one who's saying it. So why would he cry? I think this very episode is a rather good example of all the things Bob cries about.

Likewise, he said The Phantom Menace was simply a "meh" film and spent the time saying it was unworthy of the amount of derision it had received when you consider it on it's own merit.
The Phantom Menace was a craptastic movie on the same level as Transformers, but because Bob didn't find it too bad it's suddenly not worthy of being hated on as much by the general audience.
 
Aug 1, 2010
2,768
0
0
Hate to say it Bob, but when you were talking about all the people who don't really care if they get the characters right or if the movies are particularly good, I was thinking "Yep, that's me!"

See, I was never much of a Transformers fan as a kid, so I have little to no investment in the franchise. Now I'm not saying I [i/]wanted[/i] them to throw out the story, characters and any semblance of quality, I'm saying that even though they did, I still saw all three movies and bought the first because I enjoyed them. Well, Ok, not the second, but I still saw it.

My point is, there are many people out there just like me who would have enjoyed it quite a bit if the movies were spot on, but didn't particularly care when they weren't and I think the studios tend to interpret us as part of the moron/very small child audience you mentioned.
 

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
1,186
0
0
What happened to making a trilogy, then not going back to it for 10 years or so? Are entertainment corporations so much more greedy now than they were 30 years ago?
 

chiefohara

New member
Sep 4, 2009
985
0
0
Trishbot said:
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

The Transformers movie was FANTASTIC!



Death of Optimus Prime! Megatron reborn as Galvatron! Orson Wells as Omnicron! Stan Bush's "The Touch"!

It was everything a Transformers fan could've ever wanted.
I bought that movie as an adult, expecting a small nostalgia trip, but its actually still brilliant :) I still throw it on now and again to cheer me up when i need it (best 5 euro ever spent)

Also Lenord Nimoy as Galvatron!
 

leviadragon99

New member
Jun 17, 2010
1,055
0
0
Huh... well this is honestly the first I'd heard of it, but then given Michel Bay's continued involvement, I wouldn't have had any hope for it anyway...
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
Woodsey said:
Casual Shinji said:
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.
Oh please, he's not the one crying every time someone says the audience for big Dumb Fuck Film #266 might not, on the whole, be too intelligent.
Well no, but that's because he's the one who's saying it. So why would he cry? I think this very episode is a rather good example of all the things Bob cries about.

Likewise, he said The Phantom Menace was simply a "meh" film and spent the time saying it was unworthy of the amount of derision it had received when you consider it on it's own merit.
The Phantom Menace was a craptastic movie on the same level as Transformers, but because Bob didn't find it too bad it's suddenly not worthy of being hated on as much by the general audience.
"Grow up."

I was referencing that. Think about it.

"but because Bob didn't find it too bad it's suddenly not worthy of being hated on as much by the general audience."

The point of the video was: "Is The Phantom Menace the film-equivalent of the Anti-Christ, and is it worth 13 years of venomous spite?" The answer - in his opinion, and I'm hoping I don't have to tell you how hard it is for someone to supposedly contradict themself when every single factor in the equation is subjective - was no. He didn't say people should love The Phantom Menace, he said it's not fucking worth it after all this time.

I'd imagine he'd actually say the same for the Transformers films if that were the case. But since Transformers is NOW and since it's making astronomical sums of money NOW and since people are defending this mindless shit NOW, it is worth encouraging people to get up in arms about it.
 

Jimmybobjr

New member
Aug 3, 2010
365
0
0
Im hating Bob More and more every single episode he does.

I mean, god. Sucessful movies are sucessful for a reason, man.

I mean, He stated something along the lines of "These movies are popular, Therefore the audience is dumb. The more people that watch the movie, the more people are dumb."Jesus Christ, bob, That is up there with some of the most stuck up arsehole-ish comments Ive ever heard; you didnt like this movie because you don't like mainstream cinema, and everyone who does like mainstream cinema is a idiot?

Unless im completely missing what hes said in this video, this is what i heard.

I remember watching his earlier vids and not really sensing this sort of idea; So either i was completely blind, or bob has morphed into a Hipster.
 

Sabrestar

New member
Apr 13, 2010
432
0
0
Falseprophet said:
Michael Bay has millions of dollars of his own money, and two fairly successful actors willing to take big paycuts for his dream project. Why couldn't he finance this himself?

Sabrestar said:
Ah, someone else who hasn't forgotten the best line from MIB.
At the time, I thought that line was a brilliant insight. Now I realize it's the kind of justification that people who think they're smart use to build up their own sense of superiority. Recent research instead suggests that in some situations, individuals are smarter, but in others, groups are. Maybe 100 years ago you could be that brilliant lone scientist, but I don't think a single individual could have mapped the human genome.
Well, yes, exactly. I think it's a good line because sometimes it's accurate. Sometimes, you're right, it's not. After all, crowdsourcing sometimes works very well.
 

artanis_neravar

New member
Apr 18, 2011
2,560
0
0
Woodsey said:
canadamus_prime said:
This is why you have to lower your expectations and just be thankful for the parts they get right.
Alternatively, don't reward them for making shit films.
But how can you truly know it will be a shit film? Critics aren't always trustworthy when it comes to suggesting movies, lets take Movie Bob for example, I know that if he says a movie was good, then it is probably a must see for me, but if he says it's bad, well that doesn't mean I might not still enjoy it.

I will admit I saw all 3 transformers movies, the first one I went to hopeful, the second one I was paid to go see, and the third one I went to see for the pew pew pew. Going into these I didn't know what type of movie it would be and the only way I could truly find out was going to see it.
 

rayen020

New member
May 20, 2009
1,138
0
0
yay for agent K. boo for dumping on a mediocre sequel. because mediocre is usually the best you'll get in a sequel.

Also, i'm way too young to care about the tranformers, and frankly, the show has been done over so many times so differently mr bays is just as canon as all the other itenerations that fall on the bad side of the spectrum.

in short; i don't care about tranformers anymore.

Also re; hawkeye. honestly looking at it all they did was turn down the purple (it does still fall in to the violet shading for me, and remove the ridiculous mask. sometimes staying completely true to comic images that haven't changed since the 60s and are overly flamboyant can be bad.
 

Urameshi13

New member
Jan 18, 2011
79
0
0
If anyone wants their Transformers fix, check out Transformers: Prime on The Hub. This is the RIGHT way to introduce Optimus and crew to a new generation.
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
artanis_neravar said:
Woodsey said:
canadamus_prime said:
This is why you have to lower your expectations and just be thankful for the parts they get right.
Alternatively, don't reward them for making shit films.
But how can you truly know it will be a shit film? Critics aren't always trustworthy when it comes to suggesting movies, lets take Movie Bob for example, I know that if he says a movie was good, then it is probably a must see for me, but if he says it's bad, well that doesn't mean I might not still enjoy it.

I will admit I saw all 3 transformers movies, the first one I went to hopeful, the second one I was paid to go see, and the third one I went to see for the pew pew pew. Going into these I didn't know what type of movie it would be and the only way I could truly find out was going to see it.
So find a critic whose tastes reflect your own, and if the first two films in a trilogy are shit, it should be enough of a clue to not go and see the third one.

I'm sure you're able to exercise some level of judgement as to what a film will be like.
 

RA92

New member
Jan 1, 2011
3,079
0
0
Trishbot said:
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

The Transformers movie was FANTASTIC!



Death of Optimus Prime! Megatron reborn as Galvatron! Orson Wells as Omnicron! Stan Bush's "The Touch"!

It was everything a Transformers fan could've ever wanted.
*Sniff sniff* You brought a tear to my eye. :')
 

Wargamer

New member
Apr 2, 2008
973
0
0
Translation; if you MUST see another Transformers, pirate the damn thing so nobody earns money off you doing it. We need movies like this to go down like the Titanic in iceberg season.
 

angel85

New member
Dec 31, 2008
129
0
0
you know, the first 5 episodes of Transformers Prime would have made a pretty good movie, and the design of the transformers (a blend of the TFAnimated series and the movieverse) looks really nice in my opinion. I think Bay would do well to follow some of the sensibilities from that cartoon series, but I just realized that it's already too optimistic to assume he'd do any actual research on the subject material...
 

LadyRhian

New member
May 13, 2010
1,246
0
0
Scrumpmonkey said:
Lowest common denomintor is putting it mildly. A lot of what is released at the moment can be summed up as "Retard Cinema" , in that both the movie and the audience seem to occupy some mass market nether realm where a terrible film is seen as 'easy to watch' becuase you are expected not to think about what you are seeing.
aka "Eye Candy"

I could have summed up this video in three words before I even watched it. Why is a new transformers movie by Michael Bay being made? "The money, stupid."