The Big Picture: Untransformed

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
I personally didn't mind the other Transformer movies. I've never watched the Transformers cartoon, or anything. I found Transformers 3 ok, a bit bad, and the 3rd act (in the city) reeeeeally drags out, but i found some of the action scenes rather awesome (Though i have to say the human story arcs were boring).

Not saying i am an idiot (As Bob might've called me), i just have a system, with 2 different sort of movies: Those i watch for mindless entertainment, and those i watch to leave impressions on me, and how i percieve different things. Transformers falls into the former category, whereas a movie like Letters From Iwo Jima would be the latter.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
I honestly don't think that anyone who was disappointed by the last three movies is going to be hopeful for this one.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Bob you honestly can't want them to portray Hawkeye in the same way as he is in the comics. I mean look at that! How could you take that guy seriously?

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I'm torn between saying "great episode with an excellent reality check" and "what, this rant again?".

I agree that it's best not to get our hopes up, but if I had to hope my hope would be that the new transformers reboot it enough that the robots don't look stupid. The transformers you showed from the video game look cool, why can't we have that?

Also, which hero do you think (RAMPANT SPECULATION) will either get a TV series from, or killed off in, the Avengers movie? I'm betting in either case it's Hawkeye. Why killed off? Don't you remember who's writing this thing? Why a TV show? Smaller effects budget.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Bob, I just had a realization. Remember how foreign films critics AT THE TIME were always harping on the low budget and stilted acting of the Godzilla films from Toho? Those are considered classics of the film genre now. Could it be that the Transformers films are in a way, the American/Western version of that archetype?

Yes, I'll be the first to admit that the Transformers movie sucked. In my opinion, the first film is the only even watchable. The other two are schlocky mixes of bad jokes and action stunts by a hack director. I personally think that a good plot, taken with bits a pieces for the next movie, would be the recent Transformers Animated that ran on Cartoon Network. Yes, it was often goofy, but it took what was left of the original source material and managed to build a whole new vast universe and mythos with it.

Not every movie is going to be Citizen Kane, and not every movie is going to be Plan Nine From Outer Space. Also, yes, I share your dread of the upcoming Spider-Man reboot.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Ah, someone else who hasn't forgotten the best line from MIB.

Truth be told, I kinda didn't mind MIB2, despite its obvious major flaws. It entertained me, at least.

OT, though, I have to think that not many people to whom this video is addressed really have much hope for it by now. Like Sonic fans, they just shake their heads at whatever new disaster comes down the pike and continue to look at things the way they used to be.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
..Black comedy with miami-bodybuilders? -Shudders-
I'm forseeing yet another "black comedy" that will end up a Dude-bro movie akin to The Hangover 2.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
It's really interesting (and sad at the same) that "check your brain in at the door" movies like Transformers make so much money compared to movies that try and push the medium to new heights, but that's not new since people nowadays strive for instant gratification rather than working towards something more rewarding.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Actually, i did expect another Transformers movie. I mean, let's be honest here, Saw had 7 parts and that franchise was not nearly as successful as Bays Transformers movies. I mean, sure, they weren't nearly as expensive either but as long as the make more money than they cost it's pretty obvious that they are going to make more movies. It's not like Michael Bay had any sort of artistic integrity.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Glad that you brought up War For Cybertron, because I think that the only way that a Transformers movie will be any good is if High Noon writes it.

On a side note, why would you want Hawkeye to look like the comic version? I mean, the costume is so goofy to the extent that it only works in the comic. The thing he has on in the movie works in the real world.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
With all due respect Bob: We get it, you don't think the Spiderman reboot is going to be good.

Please just drop it. Wait until it comes out or something.

Apart from that, a pretty good episode. Although I feel you might be being slightly too elitist with your attitude towards the 'average' moviegoer.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I LOVE Agent K's line, because really, it's SO TRUE when you think about it!

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
When finally we see Shia make something of his character, it's over or him. FFS. He was a ball of anger in the last movie, making me literally LOL a lot of times. Even he was sick and tired of his parents. AND NOW HE IS GONE.

Oy ;_;

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
here's a tip for mr bay:
take the intro scene in TF3
make more of that

KEEP...
HUMANS...
OUT OF IT......

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
KITTENCALENDER KITTENCALENDER KITTENCALENDER

NO T_T

anyway, very good point bob. but with all the good comic book movies that are out and coming out that appeal to a wider audience and please the fanboys, it's very possible the next transformers movie will follow that model of trying to please everyone.