The Big Picture: #WalrusNo - Why Tusk Is A Bad "Bad" Horror Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
#WalrusNo - Why Tusk Is A Bad "Bad" Horror Movie

In advance of Schlocktober 2014, MovieBob takes apart Tusk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/12288-Tusk-Review-Kevin-Smith-Horror-Comedy], and why it's not that great of a "bad" horror movie.

Watch Video

i4njw

May 7, 2014
...well this'll do nicely. Was super disappointed that last week's ETTM wasn't Tusk, but now we basically get a review of Tusk as well as early Schlocktober!

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Hmmm... That's an odd phenomenon. How can one tell if one's trying to play it straight or in Kevin Smith's case, 'faking it'?

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
MovieBob said:

In advance of Schlocktober 2014, MovieBob takes apart Tusk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/12288-Tusk-Review-Kevin-Smith-Horror-Comedy], and why it's not that great of a "bad" horror movie.

Watch Video
I never understand why people want to watch stuff like the Room or Birdemic.

Call me a stiff but when I see something like that, I don't see humor, I see complete and utter incompetence that should not be given a slap on the back but a total thrashing. The Room is utterly horrible with poor acting, horrible pacing, plot points that pop in and out without any reason, and endless repetition.

Birdemic is worse since sound design and visual design is horrible, the actors sound phoned in and it just feels lazy.

If Tusk is as he said, then it's pointless media. A totally insular gag that is trying to be bad. Well if that's true than they have succeeded in ahving one less person give a damn about it.

kurashima

Jun 7, 2014
In all seriousness, this was a wasted week Bob. The dislike of Kevin Smith is all well and good (and discussed at length) but as you said, Escapist has reviewed it already, so this really just feels like kicking a guy when he's down.

There were much better options out there for this weeks show.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
This episode reminded me of Rubber, a film that I didn?t watch, but heard about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

It is about, I kid you not, a killing tire. Yeah, a common rubber tire, from a car.

Anyone watched it? Is it any good, or just another "emulating a bad movie" that ultimately feels fake?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Personally, I'm of the opinion that if something is "So Bad it's Good" like say, The Room, for instance, that doesn't mean it's always worth giving attention to... unless you're making fun of it, I guess.

I dunno, I guess I can't help but think that stupid ideas have become all-too prevalent in out media...

Anyway, can't wait for Shlocktober!

Jan 12, 2012
A week of bonus Schlock? Bob, you shouldn't have.

Also, I can't tell what I'm getting more tired of: people who make bad horror movies to try and cash in on "so bad it's good", or people complaining about those movies. The two go hand in hand at this point, and it makes me want to watch nothing but weepy Oscar-bait and abandon my love of terrible horror just so I don't get into the same discussions over and over.

RexMundane

Dec 25, 2008
The whole "So bad it's good" thing is a bizarre phenomenon indeed, where despite all the obvious ineptness you can still see through it to this Ed Wood core of sincerity that makes everything all the stranger to watch. I'm just now getting into Deadly Premonition (PSA: $6 at the Humble Weekly Bundle [https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly] till thursday) and much of it's charm works in the same way, everything's wrong, but assembled in a way where you can tell there's some kind of insane vision behind it all. It's amazing.

Bonus viewing:

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
This episode reminded me of Rubber, a film that I didn?t watch, but heard about.

It is about, I kid you not, a killing tire. Yeah, a common rubber tire, from a car.

Anyone watched it? Is it any good, or just another "emulating a bad movie" that ultimately feels fake?
I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard a lot of people say it's actually pretty damn good.

I'm not really surprised that Tusk exists, The Human Centipede is so ridiculous that it's ripe for parody, but parody movies tend to suck because it's hard to stretch out the joke for a full movie (which begs the question 'why aren't there enough decent sketch shows anymore?').

Also, Justin Long is still in things?

hornedcow

Jun 4, 2013
Big_Boss_Mantis said:

It's pretentious French drivel.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Couldn't finish this ep, fan of Smith, fan of his pods, saw tusk and loved it. Its like a Troma film on steroids. Kinda tired of the Smith bashing on this show. I get that Bob doesn't like him and to each his own. But do we really need to hop on the bash wagon every few weeks? you just did a 2 pt ep on why you hate the guy... let it go dude. He has a big following that you aren't a part of but that's why he does his new movies the way he does. His target audience is HIS audience and the way he is producing and releasing his films is a a unique/modern approach that I would not be surprised to see more film makers following (much akin to the folks utilizing kickstarter) Im not trying to bash Bob for not liking things I just think he rides this "I hate Smith cuz hes not the guy I wanted him to be" thing a bit to hard.

Sep 24, 2008
Izanagi009 said:
MovieBob said:

Watch Video
I never understand why people want to watch stuff like the Room or Birdemic.

Call me a stiff but when I see something like that, I don't see humor, I see complete and utter incompetence that should not be given a slap on the back but a total thrashing. The Room is utterly horrible with poor acting, horrible pacing, plot points that pop in and out without any reason, and endless repetition.

Birdemic is worse since sound design and visual design is horrible, the actors sound phoned in and it just feels lazy.

If Tusk is as he said, then it's pointless media. A totally insular gag that is trying to be bad. Well if that's true than they have succeeded in ahving one less person give a damn about it.
I was going to say 'yeah, that's the point', but I know you get that. It's just the Absurdity that these things actually exist.

When one thinks about the process that it takes to get anything done in the world, you have to think about the red tape for anything. You want a good job? you need good grades from elementary school all the way to college to get that done. And even then, it's luck in this society. You want to be perceived as a good potential mate? You most of the time need above average looks, a good job, an universally easy to get along personality and what not.

Understanding how everything in our life has to go through hurdles and red tape... It is absolutely absurd that no one saw at any stage of these supposedly "serious" releases that all of this was drivel. In fact, near hundred or more people (the average it takes to get a low budget feature film out) thought it was good enough to put their names on this project.

someone wrote, pitched, and found financial backers to make these things published. People actually looked at different takes and decided that this dreck is worth enough to encapsulate their art and their vision. In a business that one misstep dooms you for life, it is mind bending to think that someone willingly hitched their wagon this these monstrosities.

The absurdity tickles me. I can understand if it's just bad to you. But when I think about the implications and the sheer time that someone took to polish this train wreck for actual positive critical praise... that idea can not stop me from laughing.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Big_Boss_Mantis said:

I reviewed it and loved it.

http://www.the-numbers.com/news/6288

But I watch a ton of bad films that are bad in the same way, so anything new is a huge relief.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I assumed Bob skipped reviewing Tusk because he'd already said what he needed to say about Kevin Smith earlier, I didn't realize The Escapist had other people doing movie reviews. Actually, those aren't mutually exclusive.

I do think this was an interesting way of touching base with this movie while avoiding another discussion of Smith.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, there really is nothing quite like someone who genuinely feels/believes in their messed-up masterpiece as opposed to someone trying to recreate that same goofy, stupid, "who thought this up?!" style. It's kind of like how I like the quirky weirdness of Adventure Time as opposed to the quirky weirdness of Pinkie Pie in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic; it's just so obvious that her dialogue was written by someone who went "Oh, this sounds weird, let's go with that." It's unnatural, and while Adventure Time definitely has weird lines that make no sense whatsoever, it somehow "makes sense" in context, and because it sounds like something that character would say as opposed to just throwing shit out there thinking it just sounds weird.

It's also why I don't believe Tommy Wiseau at all when he continuously tries to claim "The Room" was deliberately meant to be a comedy... Hell, I'm STILL trying to wrap my head around what the fuck that guy's thinking!