The Big Picture: With Great Power

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
No, Bob, "we" didn't "win". "We" are still getting kicked around while others enjoy small parts of geek culture since 2008

You think the average schmuck is suddenly going to be interested in some 35 year old in a hulk t-shirt's conversation about their vast knowledge of backstory in the comics just because Batman movies are good? No, they'd still smirk and call him a dork. To be a nerd and a geek is still a bad thing, no real one likes to be identified as such outside their circles of friends.

Today people talk like nerds and geeks enthusiastically threw themselves into comic or roleplaying sub-culture and shunned typical social interaction, when most everyone in traditionally nerdy interests had some sort of social or personal damage recieved in school.

In many cases they were bullied, verbally harassed or beaten up occassionaly over the course of years, so yes, Bob, they were by definition victimized and have every right to complain when people come into the subjects they ran to for escapism for so long, and expect them to "just deal with it and change to suit my opinions" or begin telling people who already have emotional damage how awful they are if not doing what they're told.

In my case I went to a religious school when I started realizing I liked dudes as much as the girls and started to withdraw from social interaction to keep from being found out as "a bad person". When I became more awkward because of it, was bullied and got into video games, table-top, and magic cards to escape it as a kid.

That sort of thing changes people and some cases are more severe than others, but the fact is you can't just tell people who went through this stuff to "Just stop it" or "What happened to you doesn't matter". You can't flip a switch and turn off years of your life that affected you so much. It took me years after of highschool to get my problems with religion and sexuality worked out and function more as a normal person.

The mainstream is bad for nich sub-genres too. The mainstreaming of video games is what has turned the industry into a big pile of generic corporate shit.

The mainstream is still giving geeks an nerds their lumps as well, but differently since being a nerd is "cool"; The new folks moving in on these sub-cultures are weirded out by these "losers" with social issues and start telling them how their favorite past times have to change to suit people who aren't nearly as passionate about them. The moment anyone complianed they started being called "Misogynists", "losers", "women-haters", hell... practically rapists, and the "Nice guy" label started being used against them to poke more fun at their continued lack of ability with women. This had led to pathetic goveling of nerds on forums "B-but I don't want to be a 'Nice Guy'!", because attacking a nerd's love-life has always been part of it.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Monxeroth said:
You guys are simply going to have to come to terms with the fact that mainstream now wants to exploit the everliving crap out of you and it wont stop until you as a consumer stop throwing money at them and stop watching big bang theory for example.

Until then, have fun being part of the collectivist conform that you didnt sign up to but now everyone tries to cater to you, hooray :U
Awfully hipster outlook of you dude... also not really relevant to the core discussion that we need to do some housecleaning of the douchier members of our culture.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Monxeroth said:
Scarim Coral said:
Amen to the first half of the video but good luck trying to get people to be more mature/ responsisble from the last half of the video. By all mean Bob did raise a good point but we all know that most people don't give a danm unless the video itself is awe inspiring/ motivate us but not long lasting.
Also ain't the video itself is kind of a hypocrite coming from Bob? No don't quote me on this but I know one of the reasons why people don't like Bob is his attitude toward stuff and for him to say that the nerd culture attitude should be more mature seen hypocritical.
Although the white knighting of anita never stops and has nothing to do with geeks acting like a wounded knee when someone critizes us. Its one of those flawed arguments, logical fallacies that both jim and bob holds, ie, that the only people critical of other peoples criticism towards geek culture are always the "trolls" and the "haters"
when in reality its actual intellectual people pointing out the logical fallacies and flawed arguments of said criticism towards geek culture which is very often the case.

I for one dont have a problem with critique on geek culture, yes i very much acknowledge what bob said that sexual harassment and conventions somehow now go hand in hand, boothbabes and whatnot, but i also believe that true does not equal urgent and that we cant use the same rethorics like anita suggests:
There is sexual harassment at geek conventions
Therefore all geeks are schrodinger cat sexual offenders
Just because it's obvious that not all of us are jerks, doesn't mean the sexual harassment doesn't happen, doesn't mean that a substantial amount of Anita's negative feedback isn't trolling/flaming, so long as there's even one dickhead among us, we need to focus in on that douchenozzle and pluck it out of the community like the weed that it is, no-one's trying to blame the whole community, we're just trying to identify and get rid of the genuinely poisonous elements, and trying to pretend they're not there/not significant enough to worry about/too hard to get rid of is not helpful.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Orcboyphil said:
Bob Really!? the people your riling against are either children (your homophobic, racist misoginistic Spunkgargleweewee gamers)or insular loveshy manchilds there vocal but they are a tiny tiny minority of geeks. I don't think that I've ever met one of these people in the 32 years of my life outside the internet.
So? Even the tiniest minority of extremely hateful people is worth getting rid of, we police ourselves by targeting them and ostracising them, letting them know that hatred is not welcome, banning them from forums, refusing to play with them, letting the kids/manchildren know that they either grow up or they'll never play with anyone, that they're the problem. Gradually, conditions will improve. if they're loud enough to be heard then they're loud enough to be a negative influence and presence.

It's justifiable being exclusionary when dealing with bigots.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
You know, geek culture would probably be more accepting if not for the upsurge of cultural paranoia that marked the eighties.

Therefore, I blame you, Movie Bob, for Geek Culture not living up to its potential

Your pathetic, You and your eighties! Your precciouss eighties!

You know if it weren't for you it'd still be the seventies!!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The thing is Bob, we AREN'T better. We're just as bad if not worse than those who always looked down on and persecuted us for so long.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Sovereignty said:
I really hate how all the "white knights" are advocating for these special treatments of the target demographic they feel is persecuted.

Equality isn't treating a girl nicer than you would a guy on Xbox live. It's treating her the SAME way you'd treat everyone else.

The internet has ALWAYS been a cesspool. You're free to express opinions society finds taboo without any repercussion. Say something the 'community' doesn't like and you can just leave it and find another one. I'm so sick of this bullshit. You don't want equality amongst everyone. You want special treatment.
Such rubbish. The point is that nobody should be treated the way that people are treated on Xbox Live. It's about having some respect for fellow humans, and not being gross idiots. The whole "white knight" thing is nonsense. People aren't saying "show women some respect" to get laid -they're saying it because it's the proper thing to do. I do want equality among everyone. I want that equality to include decency and respect, not trash-talking bullshit.

Also, the internet has not always been a cesspool. It started as a research network that was very task-oriented and generally respectful in the early days. And it's not that people "feel" that women are persecuted online (or offline) - it's a fact that they are.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
DerangedHobo said:
Words like '******' and (I have no clue what the other one is) are only offensive when people perceive them as offensive.
That's completely untrue. It has as much to do with intent as it does perception. Words that are otherwise completely innocuous can be harmful when said with malicious intent. Your argument is particularly bogus, as it places all responsibility on the recipient, rather than the perpetrator. Following your logic, someone could scream a hate-filled rant about how black people are inferior to whites, and any offence taken would be in the minds of the listeners, rather than the speaker.

In a truly free society with true free speech you can say whatever you like and offend nobody, that is a utopia,
Again, wrong. Freedom of speech does not mean you can say anything without offending people. Freedom of speech entails that other have the right to be offended and counter your speech with theirs.

All that horror and genocide and murder in the past is, in the past. It happened and most of the time most of the people who persecuted it are dead.
No, it is not. Murder, genocide, and hate crimes continue to happen. It is still a part of the modern world. I can't understand why you think these things are a thing of the past, when there are so many recent examples.

Most of the people who persecuted it are dead? Tell that to the people of Rwanda. It's just not true.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
DerangedHobo said:
xaszatm said:
1. Yes, someone can. Someone can use those words without hating homosexuals. However, it must also be said that words have consequences. Saying terms like fag and gay in such hateful manner can and will be taken in the same manner one says N***** and C*****.
2. Okay, so that is a good excuse for their behavior? The fact that they are afraid of what they might say might offend women? That speaks to a bigger social problem.
3. The reason people ask people to watch what they say is because of history. Stick and stones may break bones, but words can show underlining hatreds. Just look at America during the civil rights movement when words BECAME sticks and stones. Watch how watching a black person hang became like a family gathering. Watch the casual misogyny many senators make when restricting women's rights. The thing with words is, if you say it enough times, you start to believe its true, and that can take humanity to truly dark places.
Words like '******' and (I have no clue what the other one is) are only offensive when people perceive them as offensive, Doug Stanhope does a great bit which basically boils down to "You're going to teach people that certain noises you can make with your mouth are horrific and just the worse thing you can do? How fucking weak are you?". To put it bluntly, I like the cock and it sickens me that people will campaign and get defensive and offended when someone says "That's so gay", it's pathetic. In a truly free society with true free speech you can say whatever you like and offend nobody, that is a utopia, 'Free speech' today is a mockery. You're top of the food chain and you let a word or some hick fuck's stupid meaningless opinion offend your equally meaningless feelings?

I have nothing to add to your second point apart from this, there is sexism on both sides, the topic has been done to death and the only way out is just adopt a free for all mentality, each to their own. You aren't going to fix women getting offended or males acting like dicks.

All that horror and genocide and murder in the past is, in the past. It happened and most of the time most of the people who persecuted it are dead. As a new generation why don't we learn to laugh at the atrocities that have happened and get over such stupid mundane bullshit like 'bad words'. It's stupid.
If you think that "Free Speech" means freedom from consequence, then you are sadly mistaken. Free Speech is the freedom to say what you want and the freedom to own and all that comes with it. And all those murder and genocide hasn't gone away. It's greatly decreased, but it still goes on.

TomWest

Sep 16, 2007
> "Whiteknighting"

This isn't a term I've heard before.

Is it, as context suggests, a term used by misogynist jerks for males who aren't misogynist jerks because they can't conceive of any male *not* being a misogynist jerk unless they had ulterior motives?

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Gawwhhwhhwhwhwh more sexism/racism/homophobia lecturing... I'm sooooooooo sick of this. I've been sick of this for two years. But mostly from MovieBob. "We as a culture have such and such problems. Let's stop having those problems." Can you have, like, a codeword or something, Bob? Something to let me know that you're going to have ANOTHER lecture about this?

In fact, how do you even know it will help change the minds of those who are actually sexist and racist and stuff? Couldn't you be more of a by-example person? I have a somewhat-popular Youtube channel, in which a female friend of mine has sometimes co-hosted, and I think just that could do more good than you whining about it. I mean I know you have a good tone about it (this time) and you're being constructive, but GAWWWWWWWWWW I am sick of hearing this.

I just... I don't see how the gaming culture is nearly as bad as people keep making it out to be. For every 'ist' comment I read or hear, I hear TEN comments about all the isms in our culture.

I don't read a whole lot of forums, but... wouldn't any 'ist' comment get deleted pretty quickly on any major site?

And the 'Tropes Vs Women' thing is clearly more a result that people who are (rightfully) sick of the unreasonable actions of modern feminism being (much too!) eager to attack anything that sounds feminist. Yes people are way, way too sensitive to feminism now (the same way feminists were way, way too sensitive to sexism), but that doesn't make them sexists; it just makes them over reactionary and very obnoxiously rude.

Speaking of which, sexual harassment isn't sexism either; it's sexual harassment. And how often DOES it happen at cons? Thousands of people gathered in crowded buildings in dozens of places all year round is going to generate crime.

And racism... yeah I've got to be honest, the only times I have ever--EVER--seen straight up racist comments ANYWHERE on the internet... were directed towards black people for voting for Republicans and supporting the Fair Tax.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Y'know I'm really interested in what it means to be a "geek/nerd/whatevs" to Bob. Cuz I don't think me or most of us that consider us geeks/nerds/whatevs would fall under that.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
The thing is Bob, we AREN'T better. We're just as bad if not worse than those who always looked down on and persecuted us for so long.
Whats the 'we' stuff ke-mo sah-bee? This is what I don't understand. I understand fighting for your personal beliefs and when you actively include yourself in a group to try and oppose certain behaviors. I get this. However, geek culture is now a broad mainstream force which will develop on its own, in its own way. I am not to blame for it's current or past direction. I am not to blame for the actions of thousands of people who all claim to be under the same nebulous term 'geek'. I will not impose myself on others with the pretense of being 'progressive' a term so overly stated by people convinced in their own self righteousness.

I am a gay woman, and a geek. I've seen baseless exclusion and hate. I've been apart of this culture for most of my life. However, I cannot make the culture better but I can choose my friends, and my groups. I choose to be around people who don't support stupid and irrational behaviors. That is all you have at the end of the day. A choice. In what you do, and who you associate with. You can't control the actions of others and the more you go down the path the more of an oppressor you'll be regardless of your intentions. To give an equally trite saying in response to Bob's "The path to hell is paved with good intentions."

So... that was a bit of my personal opinion in counter to Bob's call for a collective opposition to the cultural direction. In a similar grandstanding fashion.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I can see where Bob's coming from but I don't agree. Just because the things we like are now popular and are mainstream, doesn't change OUR place in society. If you go and bring up your encylopedic knowledge of Marvel superheroes from their decades worth of comic book history, no one's going to care about it now anymore than they did before. We're not suddenly in a position of power just because what we like is now mainstream since the WAY we like it still sets us apart.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I don't know if it was just the limited communities because lulz internet but I really didn't come across or hear too much about all this terrible stuff back in the 80s and 90s, it was only from the 2000s onwards when the mainstream started to get involved did all the shit start to hit the fan.

We aren't turning the mainstream into geeks.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
TomWest said:
> "Whiteknighting"

This isn't a term I've heard before.

Is it, as context suggests, a term used by misogynist jerks for males who aren't misogynist jerks because they can't conceive of any male *not* being a misogynist jerk unless they had ulterior motives?
Pretty much.
Not quite putting a good footing for the male population, considering that they (said misogynist in these scenarios) are suggesting that males are just constant attention starved sex fiends.

(*note* this same specimen may also be the one to claim the existence of "fake gamer girls". The very notion of a woman doing something without seeking his attention or approval may be daunting to this creature. Avoid revealing such shocking information.)

Look, not that there couldn't be SOME instances where that is the case, but both terms get thrown so loosely now, that I highly doubt it.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
MovieBob said:
With Great Power

MovieBob calls for a new Geek Culture.

Watch Video
An excellent video, and one whose message I thoroughly agree with. Tired of the bullshit I see some people throwing round. Have to ask though; was there any particular event that caused you to do the episode on this topic? It sounds like there is from the way you speak, though I don't know. Just curious. Thanks again Bob. :D

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
nejiblue said:
PS-I remember one of your big pictures about power girl. And of course, the ridiculous lengths you went to defend her "boob window". Guess it's only sexism when it's something you don't give a fuck about.
Yes! No matter how many people call Bob out as being obnoxious, there won't be enough.

This is the guy who said anyone who's excited for Fast and Furious 5 is an eleven-year-old from 2002, now giving us a glowing, happy-go-lucky speech on decency and etiquette. He liked Fast and Furious 6, by the way.

This is the guy who called any defenses of Transformers 2 to be 'douche bag arguments', and anyone who eagerly anticipated Transformers 3 to be 'better off in the theater than behind a wheel or in a voting booth where they could really do some damage', here now, lecturing us on why we shouldn't insult people.

This is the guy who said that common sense and logic is more commonly accepted on US states bordering an ocean or Canada... in a video where he also talked about the importance of tolerance and acceptance.

This is the guy who made a 22 minute video talking about how fat, angry and anti-social you are and how you need to shape up--featuring one segment that literally went like,
"I don't want to fucking hear it." He says, looking into the camera. "STOP being impolite to people, that is fucking unacceptable!"

Yeah! Being nice to people! What a crazy freaking idea!

I've wanted to do a Top 20 Worst Things Moviebob has said list and put it on Youtube. Do you think I should? I've listened to just about all of his videos.

And yes, his commentary is usually very interesting, and his personality IS very engaging and addictive, partially because of how pretentious and bitter it is.