The Big Picture: Words for Nerds

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
What I like about memes is that they are things that most people aren't willing to say which is great in and of it self and when you combine that with laughter then its a win-win situation. I know that you Bob loves to take the moral high ground on things people say but to be honest I think it is better if we express ourselves then sit on a throne of silence never speaking out against any group because of fear that you are offending people.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Yeah, Batman's quickly becoming too overrated. Not QUITE the level of of overrated as Chuck Norris, but he's getting there.

lol at the Dr. Zoidberg pic! XD

I think the console wars is another part of the gaming community not growing up (See Game Overthinker episode 59 for that kind of discussion), and we haven't grown out of that mentality that one console/company is better than another. I don't think it's going to die down anytime soon.

Oh... Yeah... I'm kind of guilty of this. See, I have so much to say on a given subject, and I want to make sure people understand where I'm coming from with my response. Worst part is, sometimes when I come across a long-ass forum post, I only skim through it or pick one thing from the post to comment on, because I just don't feel like reading all that... Kind of hypocritical in that regard...

Actually, this post is becoming like that, if only because I want to comment on everything Bob says.

It's amazing how a lot of topics I go to on forums end up turning int huge debates over relatively meaningless things, though I'm not really helping in trying to stand my ground and defend what I like IN said debate.

lol, ponies are exempt from this! XD WHEN IS THAT MY LITTLE PONY VIDEO GOING TO BE MADE, BOB?!

It's true, about bullies and bullied people. Sometimes, I imagine this one guy beating up bullies for being picked on as a kid, but also beating up nerds for being annoying and arrogant. ...I have weird imaginations.

Sorry once again for the long-ass post. :(

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
I've heard Bob off-handedly mention ponies like four times now. He needs to go ahead and make an episode about it.
No. No. Definitely no. Those people don't need any more goddamned ammunition, and the threads don't need a new influx of fucking ponies.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I think I'd like to write a comic about Batman. Except I'd need to find a way to keep him from all his high-tech weaponry, and maybe even his nigh-impossible morals. Then we'd get to see him as just one of us, someone that we could actually be like one day.

Anyway, I'm not even sure if nerds are bullied that much these days. In a world of increased technological dominance, someone who knows how to do math and play video games might actually be held in hight regard today.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I hope every single moderator watched number 4 and will stop banning people for short posts.

TL;DR LCP is a stupid rule

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Snake Plissken said:
Shadowstar38 said:
I've heard Bob off-handedly mention ponies like four times now. He needs to go ahead and make an episode about it.
No. No. Definitely no. Those people don't need any more goddamned ammunition, and the threads don't need a new influx of fucking ponies.
Goodness. So much hate.

It's just a show. Leave it alone.
I don't recall revealing my feelings towards the show, so quit projecting.
And, yes, I am petitioning to "leave it alone".

In summation, lolwut?

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
What Bob clearly fails to understand is that its the ponies that are causing all the problems!

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
I actually agree with this episode. A lot of internet cliche that become hate groups for the stupidest things. For example, the console wars. When you look at it, it doesn't matter who "side" your own, it just makes you look said, and when you actively go out and try to "attack" or "stop" people in the real world, it just makes look pathetic. My favorite example that happened to me. One guy working at a local gamestop refuse to sell me games that where not sony related. He then told me how it was better because of how it was currently out selling the other to console "for that week mind you." and how American products are inferior and how Nintendo doesn't cater to the hardcore, and that you shouldn't support them unless you where a traitor.

I think I was buying armored core 4 for the xbox 360, and super Mario Galaxies for the wii. In ether case, yeah, that is why I hate shopping at gamestop. When ever any non ps3 lover was in there he would continue to harass them, despite being an employee of a store that goal is to sell EVERYTHING IN THE FUCKING STORE.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
No Bob ponies should not be excepted from that! One of these days a certain topic on a post forum somewhere is going to look more girlie that a 8 year old dream bedroom. Also imagine, just imagine some one is passing by and saw that girlie thread?! Moderate the ponie stuff.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
It's funny, aside from the occasional Kinect or Move or Wii discussion (and that period when the PSN went bottoms-up) there really hasn't been too much of the "console war" in the last year or so. Or at least as far as I know. PC versus console, sure, but those things are actually different in terms other than numbers.

As for the bullying, while I would say that nerds certainly tend to feel above all the non-nerds (because there's totally a difference, for sure) I wouldn't say that it's entirely based in bullying. I never got bullied, really, since I was in the nerd-filled classes since go. But I'm still guilty of the same elitism at times. And yes, I even poke at noobs. Granted, not as much as others, and certainly not as much as some communities *cough*LoL*cough* but when your team in an objective-based game is just full of fraggers, you get a bit peeved.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. " Harvey Dent

xEightBitPlayerx

Jun 26, 2011
Great video Bob, keep it up. As for people saying this is all in good fun, it's not. Some of what I hear online is disgusting towards your fellow gamer's and it does go into bullying territory. It get's to the point where most of my friends have to party up just so we don't hear the vile garbage.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Goodness. So much hate.

It's just a show. Leave it alone.
That should apply just as much to the bronies as the people who don't like it. After all "it's just a show" so stop posting pics, videos and quotes from it, right?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You're adressing the stupidity of console wars... now?

Was this simply a filler point or did it really just now dawn on you to make a point about it?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Mikeyfell said:
I hope every single moderator watched number 4 and will stop banning people for short posts.

TL;DR LCP is a stupid rule
I agree.

Moderators should really stop moderating for short posts and instead focus on pointless ones.

Sometimes, a lot more can be said with fewer words. The concise nature of a post can help communicate your point. But not on the Escapist.
Oh, thank god it's you.

I got a new message and I thought for a second that a mod had seen this post and banned me.

Phewwww.