The Big Picture: Words for Nerds

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
First of all, something that has been annoying me for quite a while now:

Dear Bob,

I LARP. So does my local representative in national parliament. I have a weekly role-play group with a journalist, a lawyer and several students.

I am most certainly a Nerd, but do not feel left out or misrepresented. I do not think that this is because I am not living in America, but rather because the best way to be fenced off from the rest of society is fencing yourself off.

Food for thought.

Cheers,
Furb.

As for this video:
EverythingIncredible said:
I hate to say it, but you're doing it wrong.

I get that this is kind of your job right now. But you need to stop taking the internet culture so seriously. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Everything here is in good fun. Even if it can appear mean spirited to certain groups of people.
I also sign this. Wise words.

Dec 27, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
I especially love the part where he tells us that "nerds" are becoming too discriminative while still throwing in multiple sly jabs at that demographic he includes anyone he disagrees with in that is the "douchebags".
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not calling out Bob for being a hypocrite, I'm calling out nerds for being hypocrites.
*Awkward silence.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
I know it's been said already, but I feel compelled to reiterate in agreement:

I know you get paid to do it, Bob, but it's uninteresting to have you tell us what we should be doing on the Internet. We're talking too much about Batman? What's the worst that could happen? We get tired of it and stop? Let people have their fun. You didn't even give a reason why we shouldn't promulgate our favorite consoles. And you know what I do when I find a message board post that's too long? I skip it.

Tired of everyone who pretends they have any authority to tell others what to do or that "nerddom" is an important group that we should steward well.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Abandon4093 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Abandon4093 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Agayek said:
krellen said:
No. No it's not.

"In good fun" is the bully excuse. This is exactly what Bob is talking about.
I think you're misinterpreting his post. It's less "it's fun for me so I should do whatever I want" and more "none of it is serious, quit being butthurt". Honestly, he's right there. The vast majority of cases of racism, homophobia, elitism, etc that I've seen on the internet have been lacking any real bite or meaning behind it. Most of my "internet friends" throw around slurs with reckless abandon, yet not a single one is actually racist, sexist or whatever else. None of it is meant to be taken seriously or to be offensive.
And if you sling it around amongst your friends - who know both you and your intent - that's one thing. I can call my girlfriends "hooker" or "whore" all day long, because they know that I love them and don't mean anything by it. But it's unreasonable to expect internet "strangers" to assume that you don't mean anything by it when you start throwing such language around.

That's the core issue, as I see it. Some people seem to put the entire burden on the listener (or reader, as the case may be), and aren't willing to understand or accept their own share of the responsibility when it comes to communication. Until I know you better, I have no choice but to take your words at face value.
As a general rule of thumb.

If it's on the net don't take it seriously.

If we're talking about meme's here this is more than true, it's the whole premise.

I've never understood how people get so upset about things they read on the net. Most of the time it's either sarcastic or ironic. Or it's written out so terribly it's just generally lul's worthy.
The vast majority of my day-to-day communication takes place online, via forums, IM, email, Twitter, etc. You're suggesting I not take any of it seriously? That's simply not realistic. The rules of common decency don't stop simply because you've taken a conversation online.

All of that said, it's also up to the reader to not go looking for a fight. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I disagree, I'm clearly not talking about work related communications. But casual conversation is fair game as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not specifically referring to work-related communications, either. I realize that I'm a bit of an unusual situation, given that my job is to be visible online, so I have to be more mindful of how I speak to people than the average forum visitor. But still, I think it's important to take responsibility for how you present yourself to the strangers you encounter online every single day.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
People love to be victims. There is a certain moral superiority to it, and people love to latch on to being a victim. Take a look at the Occupy people. Sure, they have good points, but it's kinda hard to look at a lot of them an not think "hypocritical bully". I mean, it's kinda hard to listen to someone talk about how poor and oppressed they are, when they have an iPhone, straight teeth, and $900 dollar sun glasses. Similarly, it's hard to listen to how thoughtful and kind they are while reports of "scandals" flow out of their camps.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Abandon4093 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Abandon4093 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Abandon4093 said:
Susan Arendt said:
Agayek said:
krellen said:
No. No it's not.

"In good fun" is the bully excuse. This is exactly what Bob is talking about.
I think you're misinterpreting his post. It's less "it's fun for me so I should do whatever I want" and more "none of it is serious, quit being butthurt". Honestly, he's right there. The vast majority of cases of racism, homophobia, elitism, etc that I've seen on the internet have been lacking any real bite or meaning behind it. Most of my "internet friends" throw around slurs with reckless abandon, yet not a single one is actually racist, sexist or whatever else. None of it is meant to be taken seriously or to be offensive.
And if you sling it around amongst your friends - who know both you and your intent - that's one thing. I can call my girlfriends "hooker" or "whore" all day long, because they know that I love them and don't mean anything by it. But it's unreasonable to expect internet "strangers" to assume that you don't mean anything by it when you start throwing such language around.

That's the core issue, as I see it. Some people seem to put the entire burden on the listener (or reader, as the case may be), and aren't willing to understand or accept their own share of the responsibility when it comes to communication. Until I know you better, I have no choice but to take your words at face value.
As a general rule of thumb.

If it's on the net don't take it seriously.

If we're talking about meme's here this is more than true, it's the whole premise.

I've never understood how people get so upset about things they read on the net. Most of the time it's either sarcastic or ironic. Or it's written out so terribly it's just generally lul's worthy.
The vast majority of my day-to-day communication takes place online, via forums, IM, email, Twitter, etc. You're suggesting I not take any of it seriously? That's simply not realistic. The rules of common decency don't stop simply because you've taken a conversation online.

All of that said, it's also up to the reader to not go looking for a fight. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I disagree, I'm clearly not talking about work related communications. But casual conversation is fair game as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not specifically referring to work-related communications, either. I realize that I'm a bit of an unusual situation, given that my job is to be visible online, so I have to be more mindful of how I speak to people than the average forum visitor. But still, I think it's important to take responsibility for how you present yourself to the strangers you encounter online every single day.
I dunno, I've always admired the more blunt and to the point posts personally.

And I really do wish there was a better way to convey sarcasm in text form. I don't know how many times I've had to explain sarcasm before. But it kind of dulls the point when you have to write /sarcasm or something like that.
Indeed, it can be very difficult to get sarcasm across. It can also, sadly, be really difficult to get a genuinely positive message across - I've had many, many situations where I complimented someone (something along the lines of "that was really good") and they assumed I was being sarcastic. The trouble with text-based communication. I always wanted a sarcasm font. Thought it would save a lot of trouble.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I... did bully someone once in real life and didn't realise it. It was only for like a day and I genuinely thought I was just joking, but then I made a girl cry. Shameful I know. I think I got past that about 3 years ago though, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't play the victim card sometimes. It's wrong and I need to stop it.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
And isn't that what makes a bully? When one person enforces their world view, values, and beliefs on others? We're just not doing it by physical force, but rather simply assuming they share (or should share) our views and treating them like asses if they don't...

Whether geeks or jocks, everyone just wants to rule their own world. The problem comes when we also expect to have subjects.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
Fun Fact for Nerds. Apparently the most common delusion for schizophrenics are those of persecution. Also, schizophrenics don't tend to adjust well into 'the normal society'. I'm some random guy on the internet, and that's the big picture.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Leviathan_ said:
Abandon4093 said:
I'm sorry to interfere, but isn't the UK traditionally the place with the largest gap between social classes? I mean after all, it's one of the pillars of British comedy.
I think you took that the wrong way, I don't mean the social divide as in this.

I meant this

mandaforever said:
I don't see why either, but it is. Not that we don't have awesome people here (I know so many amazing folks), but so many people are just not. I think it's different between women and men, too. As a woman, most other women cannot relate to me at all because things like video games and comic books aren't even on their radar (its not that it doesn't interest them, it's just that they'd never in a million years try it). It's not that I don't get along with everyone, it's just that few can relate. I think it may be more because of my gender than where I live, which is absolutely stupid and should not be true, but is, at least for me. I need to move over to England at some point, or at least to a city here in America, where society seems to have evolved a little more, that or just stick with my group of friends. :/
Hmm, odd. I would agree that it's more of a gender thing, but honestly. A lot of my female friends game. And they're still close friends with their female friends who don't.
They must not be surrounded by lame people like me. I have quite a few female friends who don't game who Im very close with. They also don't suck XD

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
I hate to say it, but you're doing it wrong.

I get that this is kind of your job right now. But you need to stop taking the internet culture so seriously. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Everything here is in good fun. Even if it can appear mean spirited to certain groups of people.
Isn't that the exact excuse the facebook bullies use when their victims commit suicide?

Jopoho

Nov 17, 2009
I would say that some of the nerd bullied/bully complex does not exist solely on the internet (though I agree that common decency should not vanish amidst the zeroes and ones).

I went to a comic book store during one of their friday night Magic play sessions, both to observe and perhaps participate (not being a serious competitor I wasn't going to force myself into a game). I think its fair to say that I and the people in the store were all nerds even, but apparently I wasn't the right kind of nerd. They gave me one of the coldest responses any group of people ever has. Apart from the store employee, no one would speak to me directly and if I spoke to one of them, they would give quick little quips that tended to be dripping with sarcasm and general disapproval.

Shortly before leaving, I heard one of them mention that the store was a great haven for them, and yet they were not willing to extend that "haven" to anyone else.

I know not everyone claiming to be a nerd is like that, but its very off-putting to see.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
Fawxy said:
jack583 said:
bob
i wish to know your viewpoint on homestuck
seriously
HOMESTUCK, YOU SAY?

OT: Don't entirely agree with everything Bob said, but it was an entertaining episode nonetheless. Now, I'm off to do those "productive" things he mentioned.
you got a problem with it?