The Borderlands 2 Thread of Miscellaneous Information

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Greetings, thoroughly attractive Escapist! With Borderlands 2 only 2 days from its US release, hype is starting to build a singularity, pulling the gaming community inward. Therefore, it's a good idea to clarify some of the finer points of the game before its release, if only to stay the flames of hype and inevitable disappointment. Feel free to contribute anything you know to this thread.

First off, Borderlands 2 signals the end of both two types of weapons, (Revolvers and Eridian) and two manufacturers, (S&S and Atlas). Revolvers have been combined with Repeater Pistols to form their own Handgun category, and share the same pool of ammo. While there is no true successor to Atlas, the new Bandit manufacturer will fulfill all of your high-capacity needs.

Secondly, the way ammo is used in Co-op has been changed. All players now share from the same pool of ammo. While online trolls can obviously abuse this new feature, it does increase the role the Gunzerker plays in teamwork. Sure, Gunzerking consumes ammo like no tomorrow, but Salvador's action skill actually causes him to regenerate all ammo except for rockets. Therefore, if Gunzerkers coordinate what types of weapons they will use with their teammates, the entire team can stay completely supplied at all times. Also, one of Salvador's perks increases his share of ammo capacity up to 15%, further making him useful for resupplying.

It should be established that no manufacturer sways from their traits at all, for any reason. While veterans to Borderlands should know that all Maliwans are elemental, and all Jakobs' aren't, this has longer-reaching implications. All Vladof sniper rifles are fully automatic and tend to have a high fire-rate. Dahl snipers fire in bursts when aimed. Torgue snipers shoot high-velocity rockets. Honestly, the only manufacturer whose snipers act like models from conventional shooters are Bandit sniper rifles.

Bandits will be much more diverse this time around. Good old Bandit Thugs, Marauders, Psychos, and Midgets will make their return this time around, accompanied by new allies. Bandit Nomads will function similarly to the Bruisers of the first game, as they are big, slow and can take a lot of damage. Some Nomads carry bulletproof shields, trading firepower for protection. Nomad Torturers carry Midgets strapped to their shields. Shooting the ropes holding the Midget will release the stunted man, revealing a hole in the Nomad's shield.

One enemy who hasn't been revealed in trailers is the new Bandit Rat. While the Rat's appearance is unknown, he is frustrating to go up against. The Rat is a coward who is only concerned about his personal profit. He will dart around the battlefield picking up loot, and then try to escape once he garners enough. Be sure to kill him fast to get your loot back!

The last known new recruit to the bandits is the Goliath. Goliaths are unique in that they carry around two guns at all times, similar to the Gunzerker, and wear heavy armor. Once their armor is knocked off, the Goliath will go into a rage, regain all of his health, and melee rush his foes. Badass Goliaths are gigantic and carry miniguns. Rare Loot Goliaths carry a refrigerator-sized treasure chest on their backs, but try to run away from battle. Kill them fast enough to score an enormous stockpile of weapons.

Midgets and Psychos are much more diverse this time around. Borderlands 2 boasts Suicide Midgets and Suicide Psychos, who rush you with a grenade in their hand. Midgets have the new ability to ride on the shoulders of Goliaths for protection and vantage. Midget Skag Riders are also making their return. Finally, Borderlands 2 is proud to introduce the Badass Midget. He is short, buff, and duel-wields pistols bigger than his head.

Well, that was quite a wall of text. If I somehow didn't cover every insignificant fact about this game, please feel free to contribute.]

EDIT: For those who are wondering where the shared ammo announcement was, seek out this video. It's made relatively early on by Gearbox's creative director.

EDIT 2: ALso, Borderlands 2's class mods affect the appearance of the player, though they only visual difference is the color of the object on the player. Salvador's class mod is represented by the two Digigstruct units on his hips. Zer0's are the spiked plates on his elbows. Axton's is the weird camera... thing on his shoulder. Finally, Maya's is the book she keeps holstered on her leg.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Eridian weapons are gone but now Eridium appears as a rare resource you get from completing quests and occasionally as drops. They can be spent at the Black market for backpack expansions, ammo capacity, bank space.

Artifacts are gone but now you can get Relics which provide passive bonuses like the pre-order relic which increases the amount of loot you find.

I already pre-ordered the game awhile ago and even managed to get the season pass discounted so I paid $60 for both together on GMG.

edit: I should also mention that the pre-order loot chest key you get apparently gives loot that scales to your level so you may want to hold off on opening it until later when you find yourself in need of new shiny purple quality weapon(s).

felbot

May 11, 2011
wait revolvers are gone? well shoot, my favorite gun from the first was the pestilent defiler, a revolver.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
felbot said:
wait revolvers are gone? well shoot, my favorite gun from the first was the pestilent defiler, a revolver.
Revolvers are still there, but now they are just variants of regular pistols. Nothing to worry about. Also, I googled the Eridium trade. You can only trade Eridium in the Black Market in Sanctuary. Crazy Earl of scrapyard fame runs it, which is an ingenious use of his character.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Fireprufe15 said:
Anybody tried playing Mount Jackmore with a proxy? Does it work?
Been trying, but it isn't working.

Who ever heard of 'Everywhere but NA' anyway? Usually NA gets all the things.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Fireprufe15 said:
Anybody tried playing Mount Jackmore with a proxy? Does it work?
Been trying, but it isn't working.

Who ever heard of 'Everywhere but NA' anyway? Usually NA gets all the things.
I'm from South Africa, so I get even less haha. I'm used to getting my stuff on proxy. I got to the loading once but then the proxy crashed. I'm giving up on this.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Wait wait wait wait wait...hold the phone...you're saying that in coop everyone shares a pool of ammo? THAT'S TERRIBLE!

It's not going to put me off playing the game or anything, but still, that's absolutely terrible.

NickKuroshi0

Dec 23, 2010
I pre-ordered it and already have a bunch of friends ready to play co-op together and alternate between classes with.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
They also removed gun proficiencies in favour of Badass points which give you raised stats for all profiles you use on things of your choice. In order to earn badass points you need complete set challenges to earn them. The challenges are the same as borderlands 1 with the list of kill so many of this open so many chests etc.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Didn't play the first one, hooked on Diablo II. When I finish with Torchlight II, I am grabbing this. The aspect of having an Assassin in a game with loot being the central point makes me dream of what kind of classes I can make. Can you wield any type of swords in this ?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Still very stoked for this but find it odd to have a shared ammo pool. Kind of a rarity, if you ask me.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
The Lazy Blacksmith said:
Greetings, thoroughly attractive Escapist!

To add to the misc. knowledge though it appears that one or two of your equipped weapons will be visible on your character at any time. While absolutely useless this is actually very nice to add more uniqueness to characters. (You know minus the skins, and color schemes.)

Have it pre-ordered though. Can't wait to play it!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Wait wait wait wait wait...hold the phone...you're saying that in coop everyone shares a pool of ammo? THAT'S TERRIBLE!

It's not going to put me off playing the game or anything, but still, that's absolutely terrible.
Actually, unless you have troll teammates, that's very beneficial. Ammo regen mods for one gun affect everyone carrying that weapon type. As the OP already pointed out, the Gunzerker can regenerate everyone's ammo. Just think, after a fight, the Gunzerker uses his ability twice with two different weapon types each time and bam, you whole party has full ammo again.

The only thing I worry about is if everyone decides to use the same type of gun. You would burn through ammo very quickly then. However, this usually isn't the case as a diversified party is better than just a whole bunch of snipers. If anything, it puts more strategy into party composition.

I don't see how this is a bad thing unless there's something I haven't thought of.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
katsabas said:
Didn't play the first one, hooked on Diablo II. When I finish with Torchlight II, I am grabbing this. The aspect of having an Assassin in a game with loot being the central point makes me dream of what kind of classes I can make. Can you wield any type of swords in this ?
I doubt you can pick them up like guns but zero (the assassin) has a katana looking thing, that can see the weak spots of targets.

I don't really have an on topic part 'cos everything I have heard is pretty common knowledge.

Captcha: Hello sweetie. This captcha is so nice.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
katsabas said:
As far as I know, the sword the assassin wields is just part of his character's melee attack. The guns that are dropped are similar to D2's loot system however. BL1 was not a game you really wanted to stealth in, and I doubt BL2 will be any different.

So, if you like D2 for its loot system and the scale of adventure it offers, BL2 is a game you probably will like. If you liked D2 for swords and fantasy, you're not going to get a lot of that from BL2.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Wakikifudge said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

Actually, unless you have troll teammates, that's very beneficial. Ammo regen mods for one gun affect everyone carrying that weapon type. As the OP already pointed out, the Gunzerker can regenerate everyone's ammo. Just think, after a fight, the Gunzerker uses his ability twice with two different weapon types each time and bam, you whole party has full ammo again.

The only thing I worry about is if everyone decides to use the same type of gun. You would burn through ammo very quickly then. However, this usually isn't the case as a diversified party is better than just a whole bunch of snipers. If anything, it puts more strategy into party composition.

I don't see how this is a bad thing unless there's something I haven't thought of.
It also stops people from hogging all the ammo and I cannot imagine that if you are full on a ammo type you will get a share

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Hopefully the revolvers will still be good even if they are under the same category as pistols now. Already got it preordered on Amazon and should be arriving between the 24th and 26th. Problem is Guild Wars 2 should also be arriving around that time so I'm gonna be umming and arring over what to play first.