The Callisto Protocall - No Protocall

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Since this game is available on the PC is the issue of "no dodge button" also present on the PC? Can you map dodge to a button if you're playing mouse and keyboard or does dodge still require you to use the movement keys as if you're using an analog stick on a controller?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Since this game is available on the PC is the issue of "no dodge button" also present on the PC? Can you map dodge to a button if you're playing mouse and keyboard or does dodge still require you to use the movement keys as if you're using an analog stick on a controller?
Seemed like it's still an issue on PC, although I think the reviewer I watched was using a controller. I do feel like he would have thought to remap the controls if that was an option.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Seemed like it's still an issue on PC, although I think the reviewer I watched was using a controller. I do feel like he would have thought to remap the controls if that was an option.
Unfortunate. I'm sure there will be a mod on PC that fixes it eventually, but it will be interesting if anyone actually cares about it by that point, and whether it will be worth playing once fixed.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Unfortunate. I'm sure there will be a mod on PC that fixes it eventually, but it will be interesting if anyone actually cares about it by that point, and whether it will be worth playing once fixed.
Definitely feels like a "cult hit" video game, and since it's AA, I think it's highly likely the devs will continue to support it longer than most games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"As intended" seems to be half the problem with the game.
Like Seraphim17 said in his Uncharted Brutal difficulty walkthrough: "playing or working as intended", for bad game design or difficulty is bullshit. It's the excuse of saying nothing's wrong with the game, or putting your fingers in your ears and going "La! La! La! Can't hear you!".

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Like Seraphim17 said in his Uncharted Brutal difficulty walkthrough: "playing or working as intended", for bad game design or difficulty is bullshit. It's the excuse of saying nothing's wrong with the game, or putting your fingers in your ears and going "La! La! La! Can't hear you!".
Exactly, If your "as intended" is dumb, broken, and just a bad idea to begin with, then your intention can fuck itself.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Don’t you see? In Uncharted, the Crushing difficulty just means you have, like, zero “luck”.

So, working as-intended!

/sarcasm

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Ah yeah, there were signs during the promotional period of this game I noticed which lowered expectations quite a bit, but didn't wanna bum anyone out or harsh their buzzes by sharing them like a miserable singularity of nihilism, cause many people did look genuinely happy, and there's only so much joy you can drain from everyone else's lives before the guilt becomes a tad unmanageable.

First sign: Dead Space had iconic (real iconic, not ubisoft iconic) slick ass metal suits like shit out of animes and shit. Callisto has....um, generic McWhiteyGruff Dudes face? Alright. It's fine. I guess.

Second sign: Dead space had this revolutionary cutter mechanic weapon integrel to the narrative and gameplay. Callisto has...oh, look a gun! Haven't seen one of them before, fascinating!

Third sign: Following on from the cutter, the enemies in Dead Space had unique designs and movement to compliment this new (though admittedly underwhelming in the original game's promotional period) tool/weapon. Come on, Callisto, don't stumble here at least, please, whatcha got? You gotta have something interesting, right?? ...oh, ohhhh, ok, those are humanoids with humanoid animations and interactions, how very... familiar.

Anyways I still bought it cause am pathologically drawn to sci-fi horror like a goth to a black death train. The lowered expectations has really helped manage to enjoy what is there though. That dodge mechanic really is not a friend no matter which way you slice it. It locks you into a one-on-one mini animation like a boxing match every damn dodge, which is a bastard of turds to manage around multiple enemies. Oh and dodging projectiles? Nope, don't act so privileged! You just gotta stand there and take them like a gormless twat. But am doing alright despite that, there's a lot of traps around you can lob them into and ammo is more generous than most survival horror games. On normal difficulty at mo.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ah yeah, there were signs during the promotional period of this game I noticed which lowered expectations quite a bit, but didn't wanna bum anyone out or harsh their buzzes by sharing them like a miserable singularity of nihilism, cause many people did look genuinely happy, and there's only so much joy you can drain from everyone else's lives before the guilt becomes a tad unmanageable.
I appreciate your sincerity, but you didn't have to hold back. Especially nowadays; any input is appreciated. Even if I disagree or not.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
It's a shame the game turned out the way it did. I do know of at least one person who enjoys it...and he does not exactly do a good job of saying why he likes it. It's on a Discord server I'm part of, and his reaction to literally everyone who has an issue with the combat is that they just need to "get good".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's a shame the game turned out the way it did. I do know of at least one person who enjoys it...and he does not exactly do a good job of saying why he likes it. It's on a Discord server I'm part of, and his reaction to literally everyone who has an issue with the combat is that they just need to "get good".
The fact that he can't explain his reasons for liking, and the only defense is "get good", shows that he knows that there's a problem with the game, but he doesn't want to admit it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
By contrast, the new Final Fantasy game has let reviews go out a full week before release. When you know your game is good, you don't care how early reviews go out. When you think your game is ass, you hide reviews until people have already bought the game on release day. It happens every single time.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think I like Schofield. As a person, that is. Seems to be one of those "blame everyone but myself for this situation" people.
Yeah and he probably thought his gameplay idea was the best shit since sliced bread and didn't listen when people told him it was a bad idea. But the studio knew, everyone behind the scenes knew this wasn't going to be the game people hoped it was.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
@CriticalGaming , I appreciate your detail description of the combat in the OP. Of course I have read that combat and dodging is weird in this game but your description paints a good picture as to why.

While I stand by criticisms of the hype/review/backlash tenor in the other thread, that is separate from my own consideration of if/when I would want to play this game. I never played Dead Space and I'm not that into survival horror but the early trailers looked cool so I was thinking it would be cool to check out on sale down the line at some point. And still might, who knows.

But if core mechanics are broken and frustrating that is usually when I quit games- I am VERY forgiving on graphics, story, etc if the core combat and/or movement are at least pleasant. And the dodge/hit B.S. you describe does indeed sound miserable.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Pretty bummed out, was waiting years for this. Dead Space is one of my favorite games of all time. Reading the reviews it looks like the games problems run too deep to be fixed with patches or tweaks. Its not just buggy, its simply not a good game. While I have a much higher tolerance of anything survival horror, like I literally own every one ever made on any console (pre-shovelware era anyways), Will wait for the $5 bin.