The Conduit

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
wow. its nice to see yahtzee qualify the steady stream of bile for the wii. it puts some of the reveiws, especially the conduit, in a new light.
to celebreate, I'm downloading Beneath a steel sky!
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky
EDIT: hmm, it seems I must register.... eh.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Sadly my vision of a game where Yatzhee goes through every single game he reviewed will never be true (the way I envisioned it). Great article, Yatzhee, I enjoy your work.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
This article is the best thing to have come out of Yahtzee's mind in a long time. I agree with your point, Mr. Croshaw, and its nice to see you giving the Wii some slack. As for how graphics are progressing, I actually think some choice 3D or 2.5D N64 games actually look better than a few (though not many) newer games, due to a distinctive art style- examples include Kirby 64 and Starfox 64. It just goes to show that developers should consider many different art styles, rather than just defaulting to a photo-realistic look.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I kinda see what he's saying about 2D graphics, hell, I have the first command and conquer on my computer and am still in love with the original Doom, lovingly cleaned up for XBL. In fact, the only real regrets I have about the previous console generation are not playing both Odin Sphere and the cell shadey Okami (which is a cartooney 3D thing), which stuck out among the gritty and generic three dimensional masses to actually catch my eye and it's only now that I realize my mistake in not partaking.

EDIT: You know, this article has got me thinking. I can't help but think that at least one person on this article has mentioned that the more realistic 3D graphics of our time are more immersive than the colourful 2D graphics of old, and are therefore a major improvement for videogames in general. Whilst I respect this opinion and do agree that 3D has been very effective, I can't help but think that immersion via visuals is just a cop out to prevent having to actually craft a compelling narrative or to have to work on gameplay. Any Otaku or anime enthusiast will know that it is in fact possible to be immersed in an anime or a movie or anything to that effect, yet the visuals are generally very colourful, fully embracing bright, warm colours and a style that doesn't bother with the gritty realism that current gen gaming has become so obsessive with. They are able to do this because they are well written and well pulled off, which makes up for or is supplemented by the inherent flamboyancy of the colourful array of lights and sounds that is being displayed by your screen. This has been able to happen in games too, many 2D story based games came along and immersed people before the advent of brownish grey and this was because of their quality storytelling and gameplay, namely the old Final Fantasy games and I'm sure a hundred others. This was a good system, it produced good games and didn't cripple developers by forcing them to do a huge and costly update every few months which would just increase the number of people who had to be involved, plus their length and cost, when making a 3 dimensional generic action girl slut with a physics discontinuity around her oversized breasts walk across the room. With development costs these days the sheer number of generic power armour space marine shooters is understandable because for that amount of money and effort they might as well just crank out a totally mediocre game they know will sell enough to make a reasonable profit instead of taking risks on things like gameplay innovation or crafting a compelling narrative beyond that of "these guys are bad for some reason and you are good for some reason and everyone from their country is arbitruarily evil because of nationality". Not only is this approach incredibly lazy, but it reflects poorly on us as gamers because not only do we let it go unchecked but we actually encourage it by buying into this stream. It pokes huge holes in the "Games Are Art" arguement we like to make to justify videogaming as a medium because there is no artistic value to it, it's just the same generic shit repeated ad nausium and ripped away from original space marine games that did it when it was still new. I think what I'm saying is that maybe I don't want to be immersed in a greyish brown that reminds me of the depressingly unexciting state that is reality, maybe I want to be immersed in bright flamboyant colours that take me away from the humdrum of every day and put on a compelling story. Just something to think about.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Compare the grapics on Conduit to say those on Shadow of the Collosus.
The grapics aren't bad on Conduit but their not exactly doing anything interesting,they have no poetry,no life.
'Shadows' is a perfect example of making the most of whats available for it's own sake.

grenideer

Dec 12, 2007
Sorry Yahtzee, 2D games age as well. If I go back and play one of my favorite games of all time, Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System, I am disappointed by how crap it looks.

2D art has definitely had a much longer time to develop, whether electronic or not. 2D games are at the point where they could look the same as a cartoon if they wanted to.

To say that 3D is doomed is just shortsighted. 3D hasn't come close to its peak yet. One day we will get to a point the aging slows down and we can all worry less about the graphics. Until then, it is an arms race to get there.

JackiJinx

Jul 31, 2009
Once again, I have a hard time disagreeing with you. There is something wrong with the world when people agree on too many things. I need to find some stupidity.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Ha, take that overused internet references!

I see your point, why put money into graphics when it can be put into making great gameplay?
Because that would make sense and we just can't have that in this day in age.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Basically you're right there but you still have to take the exceptions to the rule into account. Take Grim Fandango for example, which took advantage of the cardboard look of early 3D games to create a completely unique look. Or Douglas in Silent Hill 3.
It's easier in 2D, but with enough care the same can be done in 3D.

mollemannen

Aug 15, 2009
great article with lots of good facts.

on the contrary though, and this might just be me, i think it's not necesserily the 3d itself that gets outdated but the framerate. playing games for example ocarina of time on the n64 feels outdated becuse of the constant "lag". another example is that i can still enjoy a playtrough of quake on the pc as long as the framrate is over 60 hz and 60 fps. but to play it with 30- something would just be stupid but people back in the days didn't have much of an option. another game thats still enjoyable are the early tekken games on playstation just becuse the fluent gameplay.

so the point being that it's not necesserily the 3d grafics thats outdated but maybe a combination with slow framerate and monitor frequency.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
When it comes to 3-D graphics I think Cell Shading often looks a lot more interesting then attempts at photo realism. Look at games like TF2 and SMT: Digital Devil Saga. They look great!

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
You know what would be an awesome 2D game if it hasn't already been done? A chase game or something based off Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. I'm not sure who plays as who, but basically, Coyote sets up trap, Roadrunner triggers trap, only for the physics engine to do anything in its power to hit Coyote.

This could be done with the other Looney Tunes I guess, but I was thinking more Roadrunner/Coyote. I think that a good game designer could make a masterpiece out of that, or at least something based on it. And it doesn't have to have story, in fact, that may ruin it. Just play it out like in the cartoons... especially the tiny parasol when shit hits the fan.

rated pg

Aug 21, 2008
I'm surprised that LBP level hasn't been pulled down, not for the ZP references but for the fact it has Gordon Freeman and the Companion Cube in it.