The Counterpoint

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
o_O

Is it not? Things might be different around here but that's one of the best counterpoints for males in his teens/early 20s where I'm from.

Gasbandit

Jun 14, 2012
Actually, it's an excellent counterpoint. The entire implied premise of the original assertion (Women are depicted badly in media) is that a gender disparity exists. Pointing out that it also happens to male characters disproves the inequality along gender lines, at which point the only available argument is "well, it's bad that humans of both genders are depicted unrealistically" which is a banal and asinine assertion, because, well, fat ugly and stupid people of both genders don't entice audiences.

There's a reason the movie "Hackers" starred Angelina Jolie and Johnny Lee Miller, and not two eczema-riddled overweight basement dwellers. The reason why DOA girls are all jiggly, wasp-waisted waifs is the same reason why Kratos is 7 feet of steel-reinforced steroid.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Gasbandit said:
Actually, it's an excellent counterpoint. The entire implied premise of the original assertion (Women are depicted badly in media) is that a gender disparity exists. Pointing out that it also happens to male characters disproves the inequality along gender lines.
This is my stance as well. People don't do it to say that it's okay, they do it because the vast majority of the time people talk about how women are misrepresented in the media, they do so with the opinion that it is down to gender inequality, and that it is sexist.

If both genders are misrepresented then yes, it sucks, but it isn't down to sexism or discrimination, so the argument is invalid. If people want to complain about poor portrayals in the media, then they need to do so without trying to play some sort of "victim" card. That's what people take issue with, not the idea that there are poor portrayals.

Let's take South Park for instance. It was once used as an example of people being discriminated against (Jews for example), but it makes fun of everyone and everything. It doesn't choose one group to make fun of and leave others alone, so you can't complain that your particular group is being "picked on", because it isn't.

Not to mention that comparing a woman being physically hurt (objectively bad) to women not liking large breasted fictional characters (subjectively bad) is a poor example. Obviously it was done for comedic value, but it helps when it works with the message you are trying to make, rather than against it.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Let's not kid ourselves; the community would real the hell out of "Zombie Tintin", but I can imagine there would copyright issues.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Legion said:
Gasbandit said:
Actually, it's an excellent counterpoint. The entire implied premise of the original assertion (Women are depicted badly in media) is that a gender disparity exists. Pointing out that it also happens to male characters disproves the inequality along gender lines.
This is my stance as well.
I came in here thinking I had a brilliant counterpoint and you guys beat me too it.

I personally think there is a problem with women's portrayal in the industry, but that doesn't mean male's being objectified is irrelevant.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Gasbandit said:
The reason why DOA girls are all jiggly, wasp-waisted waifs is the same reason why Kratos is 7 feet of steel-reinforced steroid.
No, actually, it really isn't.

The DOA chicks look like that because that's what guys (at least, the guys who play those games) want to look at.

Kratos is the way he is because that's what guys want to look like, and therefor play as.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Krantos said:
Grey and Cory are baiting the forums again?

Anyone have popcorn?

Fappy said:
Legion said:
Gasbandit said:
This is my stance as well.
I came in here thinking I had a brilliant counterpoint and you guys beat me too it.

I personally think there is a problem with women's portrayal in the industry, but that doesn't mean male's being objectified is irrelevant.
Sure men may be objectified, but they're objectified for men. The main objection that feminists have isn't about objectification itself, but that it caters primarily to men.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Zhukov said:
Gasbandit said:
The reason why DOA girls are all jiggly, wasp-waisted waifs is the same reason why Kratos is 7 feet of steel-reinforced steroid.

The DOA chicks look like that because that's what guys (at least, the guys who play those games) want to look at.

Kratos is the way he is because that's what guys want to look like, and therefor play as.
I wonder who all those guys are that want to look like Kratos. His physique is utterly ridiculous. Then again, I can't stand God of War so perhaps I'm just not in the right demographic to judge such things...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Rainboq said:
Well I think a lot of different people have different complaints/concerns regarding this whole debate. In the sense of "catering to men", yes you are correct.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Fappy said:
Rainboq said:
Well I think a lot of different people have different complaints/concerns regarding this whole debate. In the sense of "catering to men", yes you are correct.
Yeah, additionally, I'm generalizing from what I've learned from taking women and gender studies in university, the definition of feminism, like any definition, varies greatly from person to person.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
If they are catering to men, they are doing a poor job at it. I don't think a lot of people want to be Kratos, his life isn't exactly a happy one, and I don't think the majority of people in this world desire nothing more than to look like a living boulder (just to name GOW, as it was named in a few posts above).

I think this debate has been raised a lot of times, but maybe I missed a similar question and the answers to it, so I am going to put this one here:

What would be considered a good heroine? Let's say we put a woman in Kratos's situation, what should she do to be considered a good character (for the look, I think anything would be fine, let's say something not needlessly skimpy, and probably a fit body, but nothing too oversexualized)? If she did exactly the same things as Kratos, would that make everyone happy?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Rainboq said:
Sure men may be objectified, but they're objectified for men. The main objection that feminists have isn't about objectification itself, but that it caters primarily to men.
Because Women have different interests and it's impossible for women and men to share a common opinion of "This guy looks good."

Implying that anything is "Catered" towards any gender implies that the genders themselves want different things.

Which again implies divide. Which there isn't really.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Zhukov said:
Gasbandit said:

I wonder who all those guys are that want to look like Kratos. His physique is utterly ridiculous. Then again, I can't stand God of War so perhaps I'm just not in the right demographic to judge such things...
Individual tastes notwithstanding, I'm sure there are more guys who want to be Kratos than there are girls who want to fuck Kratos.

As I said in another gender inequalities thread, using the Kratos example has always puzzled me. The man is (especially by the end of God of War 3) an irredeemable, murdering bastard, who slaughters is own wife and child and then destroys the entire world in pursuit of his own personal revenge. Yeah, I'm sure those are the exact qualities a woman looks for in a man, and that's without even going into his physical appearance.

Now, characters that are more along the lines of 'lovable rogue'; cheeky, confident, and ever so slightly dangerous to know. The sort of person that's more than capable of doing harm, but it's ok because what they do is for a higher purpose and goddamn, they just look so sexy while they're doing it (Ezio Auditore springs to mind here, although I'm a guy so make of that what you will)... now they would probably be a better example of 'The Guy Version of the DOA Chicks'. Although, it's still not an accurate analogue, as people actually put enough thought into Ezio to actually give him a character, which is more than any of the DOA girls have, who are basically just sex dolls that we can't actually touch.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
mdqp said:
If they are catering to men, they are doing a poor job at it. I don't think a lot of people want to be Kratos, his life isn't exactly a happy one, and I don't think the majority of people in this world desire nothing more than to look like a living boulder (just to name the previous example).

I think this debate as been raised a lot of times, but maybe I missed a similar question and the answers to it, so I am going to put this one here:

What would be considered a good heroine? Let's say we put a woman in Kratos's situation, what should she do to be considered a good character (for the look, I think anything would be fine, let's something not needlessly skimpy, and probably a fit body, but nothing too oversexualized)? If she did exactly the same things as Kratos, would that make everyone happy?
Honestly you wouldn't need to do too much work to the character to swap genders aside from some story elements like backstory. I mean there's already an archetype for these kinds of female characters:

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Rainboq said:
Because Women have different interests and it's impossible for women and men to share a common opinion of "This guy looks good."

Implying that anything is "Catered" towards any gender implies that the genders themselves want different things.

Which again implies divide. Which there isn't really.
I'd argue that there is divide, the female sex drive is vastly different in terms of what it wants and what its looking for. That said, there is common ground, like David Tennant, or John Barrowman.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
When women buy games in the same numbers as men do, then things will change. The issue will not be addressed until there is money in it for the industry to do so. Its about catering to the audience that spends more, right now, that's men. Sorry ladies.

Of course one can argue that its because of this misrepresentation that women don't buy games in the same numbers as men, and that the cycle is a vicious circular reference.