The Crack Addiction that is World of Warcraft

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I have two success stories.

The first time I played WoW, I played and enjoyed it for a few months. Then eventually I got bored with it and set it aside (and after a few months did the same for City of Heroes).

I picked it up again the next year, played and enjoyed it for a few months, then dropped it when I needed to focus on schoolwork.

Now, I'm ripe to get into the game again, but I have to wait until I have a hard drive that can run it. Luckily, I have the patience to do so.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
I just think it's hilarious, you can really tell who plays the game. and Who doesn't. and I'm not trying to start wars or anything. I'm just saying personally I'm happy I quit, ha.

pickleweasel785

Dec 28, 2009
I tried the trial once, but I found it very boring and didn't know why people were so obsessed with it. Not my type of game.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Why do people keep blaming the game for their own inability to control their own behavior?

I'm pretty sure Blizzard doesn't coat their game discs with a contact narcotic.
Wait is their really such a thing as contact narcotic? dude i know this is off topic but thats awsome!

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Never been interested in mumorpugers. My mate got addicted to FFXI and I just never understood it. I love my PS3 and 360, I like RPGs and I play COD4/MW2 online but just don't get the redundance of the MMORPG, therefore have no idea how people become addicted, let alone manage to ruin their marriages and even end up dying as a result! It's, quite frankly, embarrassing. If a guy died of starvation/obesity/sleep deprivation as a result of WoW then I'm going to laugh about it

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
El Poncho said:
I did not become addicted to WoW and I think that people who do don't try to do other things. I quit WoW because I got bored of it after I hit level80 and most the people I talked to were moving to different servers.
Thats another reason I quit, alot fo my friends were done with the game or moving servers. So i decided to do what they did. quit.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Earlier today, I quit playing Borderlands. I've been playing Borderlands since it came out (more or less. There were breaks for Dragon Age : Origins, Modern Warfare 2, Arkham Asylum, Fallout 3 GOTY and Flower). I did this by finally realising that I'd been playing for too long, sometimes even up to an hour a day, and I managed to successfully ween myself off by playing Mad Moxxie's Underdome Riot by myself, which is fucking hard.

After that, I started and managed to quit Chinatown Wars on my PSP. Thank GOD I managed to get off of it before I started playing it for longer than a game of Peggle (which I managed to quit after playing a few games a few nights ago).

Seriously man, grow up. World of Warcraft isn't anything like crack, and you only got addicted because you're either pathetic or weak-willed. I'm fucking sick of people claiming a game is the cause of all the world's problems. Did you actually sign up just to post this? Really? Is it THAT important? If NOT playing World of Warcraft is that important, it's STILL got some mystical hold of you. You have to close your eyes and count to five hundred before you switch on a light or it'll steal your soul!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I quit wow after blizzard hung a job offer in front of me then took it away after I dropped classes and everything for it, so fuck blizz Im not going back.... but the damn dreams wont stop

CommyGingerbreadMan

Dec 22, 2009
I actually enjoyed it through and through. The constant support, updates, events. MMOs are like no other game, MMOs are constantly changing and to me have an all around feel of awesome. Knowing that if you look out into the map, there are people there you don't even know about, hidden dangers you havn't faced even though you've been through this area 20 times. Alas though, I got bored before the release of Lich King and never went back. Mainly do to money, but also, I had 3 lvl 70s (raised all my 60s) and was spending $15 a month to talk. However, given if I had a job still. I'd be heading over to the The Old Republic.

But I had no trouble quitting it. And neither does anyone. It is in fact the weak will of people. This game isn't like crack, it's nothing like it at all. People like to pretend it's something other then themselves that keeps them doing things. You may be addicted, but that's OK because the game is addicting. NO. I had friends who loved the game that left it easily when they lost their jobs. When they got jobs back, they went back, but not because it was giving them rashes for not, but because they genuinely loved the game.

I despise it when people say it's too addicting, no your friends arn't caught in some videogame drug industry. I think they, dare I say it, actually LIKE the game. I'm sorry but anyone who can't quit WoW shouldn't try drugs or alcohol. THey are obviously to weak willed to like something and be able to leave it when it gets boring.

TL:DR- Peoples own weak willpower causes them to be addicted, not the game itself.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
CrashBang said:
Never been interested in mumorpugers. My mate got addicted to FFXI and I just never understood it. I love my PS3 and 360, I like RPGs and I play COD4/MW2 online but just don't get the redundance of the MMORPG, therefore have no idea how people become addicted, let alone manage to ruin their marriages and even end up dying as a result! It's, quite frankly, embarrassing. If a guy died of starvation/obesity/sleep deprivation as a result of WoW then I'm going to laugh about it
ahah yeah, looking back it is kind of funny, the reason why people get so bloody addicted to the game is because like i keep saying, there is no real concise ending to any MMO, Look past WoW. Even guildwars has gone the ways of grind + Never ending scenario's, but even with that game if you get to 20, you can get a few upgrades and get genuinely bored, there is no insane patch system that adds in new talents and items every other week. and as far as EVERY other MMO on earth they arent as mammoth and they dont update as much as WoW, WoW is the PERFECT MMO, it's the perfect money maker..long gone are the days that Blizzard wants to impress the gamer, they just know that if they pick up a peice of shit, give it a hat and +50 spirit all the little gamers on earth will spend 40-80$ american to spend half a year trying to get that little item to drop..you finally get it, and by that time theres the same item, but with +53 spirit on it, in a brand new dungeon, and god knows that extra 3 spirit will make a world of difference for your OOCMp5 (for all you kids who are stll playing =) ) so you repeat the cycle. alas, the addictiveness that is WoW

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
I dunno, playing it has afforded me a place to stay for free at homes of online buddies in 12 states and two countries. I like to travel.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Chipperz said:
Earlier today, I quit playing Borderlands. I've been playing Borderlands since it came out (more or less. There were breaks for Dragon Age : Origins, Modern Warfare 2, Arkham Asylum, Fallout 3 GOTY and Flower). I did this by finally realising that I'd been playing for too long, sometimes even up to an hour a day, and I managed to successfully ween myself off by playing Mad Moxxie's Underdome Riot by myself, which is fucking hard.

After that, I started and managed to quit Chinatown Wars on my PSP. Thank GOD I managed to get off of it before I started playing it for longer than a game of Peggle (which I managed to quit after playing a few games a few nights ago).

Seriously man, grow up. World of Warcraft isn't anything like crack, and you only got addicted because you're either pathetic or weak-willed. I'm fucking sick of people claiming a game is the cause of all the world's problems. Did you actually sign up just to post this? Really? Is it THAT important? If NOT playing World of Warcraft is that important, it's STILL got some mystical hold of you. You have to close your eyes and count to five hundred before you switch on a light or it'll steal your soul!
Lol the first bit of that I was like aww poor dude. but once you said the Psp bit I figured you were fucking with me.

to answer your question, No I didn't sign up here to post my Sob story to see if people would feel bad for me, I've been looking through this site for a while now, and I really like it. Hence why I said "I've found a new home", I can live vicariously through giant nerds like yourself and instead of ruining my life, I can just read a few things, and feel like I've played through the game, and Have a small bit of self-accomplishment. I honestly could give a damn if all the people that said , OMGARD THIS GAME R NOT CRACK, that's awesome. you dont have an addictive personality, I truthfully do. I've lived long enough to know and accept it. but I think it's equally as entertaining that you think attacking me and saying that I'm weak is anything short of weak its self.

Infact, doesn't it make me stronger, than you? because I'm not whining and crying. I'm just stating simple facts and sharing my story with all of you.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Why do people keep blaming the game for their own inability to control their own behavior?

This, a million times this.

If you get addicted to the game, that's your fault, not the games fault.

And people wonder why society goes down hill when people can blame a game, a fucking game, for there own inadequacies and that's seen as acceptable.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Baron Khaine said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

This, a million times this.

If you get addicted to the game, that's your fault, not the games fault.

And people wonder why society goes down hill when people can blame a game, a fucking game, for there own inadequacies and that's seen as acceptable.
you apparently don't read what I say, or have said.

I clearly laid out Why I blame myself, in a simple 5 point list. If you choose to sit back and shit talk me without reading that, then you aren't all that bright, are you kiddo

and as a Side note: saying that a game can't be compared to crack is really a dumb assumption, think about it. have you ever been away from your computer, like in school or out of town or at a family dinner or what have you..and been like FUCK i want to play said game, well guess what kids. Addiction, Im not saying that WoW is god damn crack, but I am saying it creates a dependability that is absurd, considering the fact that is in essence..a game, lol. games should not create that kind of desperation to play, unless you are hopelessly addicted. pick apart the logic. but in the end, i'm right. it's a pretty extreme comparison..but hey it's what i got and im running with it

PlainTwo

Aug 15, 2009
Good for you, I recently quit WoW, and while I have unfortunately failed getting my social life back on track thus far, I think leaving was a good decision.

It is pretty hard to resist going back though, I'll admit.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
PlainTwo said:
Good for you, I recently quit WoW, and while I have unfortunately failed getting my social life back on track thus far, I think leaving was a good decision.

It is pretty hard to resist going back though, I'll admit.
yeah..it really is, still want to play the game to this day, partially why I wrote this, in hopes I could create a positive discussion about it..instead of kids flaming me because they are in love with it =(

and the social life comes back, trust me.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I don't play WoW, but I used to be badly addicted to Runescape.

Being scammed out of a very valuable item turned out to be a blessing in disguise though, as it pissed me off enough to be completely put off the game.

I've never turned back :D

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Simalacrum said:
I don't play WoW, but I used to be badly addicted to Runescape.

Being scammed out of a very valuable item turned out to be a blessing in disguise though, as it pissed me off enough to be completely put off the game.

I've never turned back :D
Been there bro!, omg..Got scammed in d2 for close to 1,000 Forum gold and that was just the upfront..Ever since then I never really trusted a E-friend again, nor did i want to play diablo for a very..very long time. haha