The Crack Addiction that is World of Warcraft

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Eh, MMORPGs don't stroke my ego enough for me to consistently play them...
Is it bad that I meant that with all sincerity?

I'm going to go beat my ego with the humility stick now.

Relove

Jan 16, 2010
I used to play it religously, and it wasn't until I got a loving boyfriend that I realized it was very silly to devote so much time to something that will eventually pass away. It's taken me a whiel to get into a healthy mode with playing any type of video game. While I'm not proud of it, I am definitely a better person for realizing my addiction to being something good online.

A very high thumbs up for quitting. Next step up would be to be able to play without feeling like you have to devote a lot of time to it everyday to enjoy it.

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Jibblejab said:
Im not gonna play WoW because its expensive. Period.
Though is it more expensive than buying a brand new game or two each month? No, infact its a lot cheaper.

Leifur

Oct 17, 2008
Sometimes I wonder if im one of the only ones who actually played WoW for the story and atmosphere (I know that sounds ridiculous, but I liked it). Got good memories of it, but since it seemes that you didn't have such a good time with it I would like to say thumbs up for having a better time now.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
4 years on off, was a nice time killer for the 3 hour wait between work and college had more fun with the people I was playing with than the actual game spent more time on vent than ingame. Addictive, hell fucking no try smoking or drinking thats an addiction it's just sheer laziness and complatancy don't like sitting infront of the pc all day? Get a fucking helmet and go outside then unless you have a massive phobia of the outdoors or are mising legs theres no excuse.

Washboard

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!
Dec 17, 2008
i played obsessively it for a few years cause i was lonely, doing badly in school and a wee bit depressed.

I quit it and now i'm in uni with lots of friends and seeing a really great girl. Wonder if there's a connection? lol

PlainTwo

Aug 15, 2009
GottaLoveIt said:
PlainTwo said:
Good for you, I recently quit WoW, and while I have unfortunately failed getting my social life back on track thus far, I think leaving was a good decision.

It is pretty hard to resist going back though, I'll admit.
yeah..it really is, still want to play the game to this day, partially why I wrote this, in hopes I could create a positive discussion about it..instead of kids flaming me because they are in love with it =(

and the social life comes back, trust me.
Yeah, I have no doubt it will come back eventually, I just kinda wish it would hurry up haha.

Don't worry about the flaming, you've always got positive discussion from me if you want it.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
=) the flaming doesnt bother me..Because at the end of the day;

I'm the dude who lost 100 pounds
I'm the one who admits it's a problem
I'm the one who chose to change my life
and finally I'm the one who is happy as a result.

so to all of the people who have flamed me during this discussion. Meh, you have a right to disagree, fuck if I can stop you. I'm glad you aren't addicted, and for those of you who throw out the congratulations, I say a very grateful Thank-you =)

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Another thing I wanted to point out, is that I wasn't literally calling World of Warcraft a drug drug..you aren't going to get peddled this shit, what I am saying is. Under the right circumstances and with the right person the game can be a terrible combination. It doesn't make any party bad, or weak. It's just the way we are, you know?

I used crack as a metaphor, as a sort of comparission to how I viewed it, and how it affected me

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
If people think mmorpg creators do not know their demographic and exploit it, they are fooling themselves. However, it takes two to tango, so they say.

Music Mole

Apr 15, 2009
GottaLoveIt said:
Baron Khaine said:
You know what I hate? People who say they quit WoW and make that out to be a big thing.

Its a fucking game.

I'm playing it now, and enjoying it, but if it gets unenjoyable like it did last time, which i'm pretty sure it will at some point, i'll stop playing. Its as simple as that.

Once again, game it fucking is.
the problem is, the game is impossible to beat, you can say you will quit, but will you? why would you, are you 80 yet? are you decked in all epics now? if you are, are they Top of the line? you could probably get a better weapon..got the best weapon? the next patch they are releasing in a week is going to have a staff that is double what your weapon can do, then some other fun mods.

dont like PvM? got glad yet? have you rerolled to see if you prefer healing to DPS? tanking to healing, DPS and so on?

you can say that you will quit, but again I ask, will you?

and P.S, if in those 10 years, I fucked my life up completely, and a large amount of blame can be piled on the fact that I would have much rather played WoW or CSS or D2, rather than go out and make something of myself...well, then it becomes more than a game..doesn't it?
You sound like Jack Thompson, blaming everything on games.

The problem with games in your life is that you allow them to take control,
i quit playing WoW because it got boring.

Don't be so lazy and blame a hobby for your problems,
however, i do understand that people can be addicted to ridiculous things and it's just how we as a species have developed.
congratulations on admitting you had a problem and dealing with it, but going from one extreme to the next is not healthy a choice usually.

EDIT: Sorry for all the edits for some reason the text kept fucking up.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
god i swear i sound like a broken record.

Im not sitting here blaming the shit out of the game, entirely.
I blame myself too, as i have said quite a few times. but hey, again i'll keep taking what you guys throw at me

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
AverageJoe said:
Chipperz said:
I did this by finally realising that I'd been playing for too long, sometimes even up to an hour a day.
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone. I had to read this sentence 3 times to make sure I was taking it in right. An hour a day of gaming is bad now? I'd think that's a pretty healthy amount of time.

It's those people I see on COD:MW2 who play the game the ENTIRE DAY from waking up to going back to sleep that worry me. And I assume some people in mummorpuggers do the same thing.
Naah, I was just fucking with him. I can't understand the logic behind threads like this, is it a wish for praise that means you have to make a thread dedicated to how you stopped playing a video game?

Yesterday, after a week of solid playing, I removed Darksiders from my PS3 and took it back to Blockbusters. I loved that game, I probably shirked a few hours that could have been spent on college work, but the actual act of not playing a game isn't some amazing, mystical thing or on par with getting over an actual physical addiction, it's an act of willpower. A tiny act of willpower, because it's just a video game.

Honestly, when gamers start acting like games have that much hold over their life, they validate everything that the Michael Atkinsons, Jack Thompsons and "Frumpy Middle-aged Moms" of this world say, and totally ruin any chance gamers could have of making a united case against these kind of people.

GottaLoveIt

Jan 16, 2010
Lol I think it's cute that you don't see the real issue. Some games are harder for people to put down than others. and I have said time, and time, and time again. That I don't fully blame the game. I have a sincerely addictive personality, and that puts someone like me at a huge amount of risk to be sucked in by a game that creates community, and accepts someone no matter what.

and again like I have tried to explain, apparently to no avail, I used Crack as a metaphor. what's funny is you take it so literally, and seriously. and decide to flame someone on it non-stop without reading what I have said.

and saying that people like ME ruin any chance gamers have of making a case against everyone else..Why don't you look in the mirror bro, gamers like you are the gamers they are trying to reach, your head is so far up your own ass you can't even agree that some games are addictive. not sure why you fight it so much, I'm kinda living proof that it's possible to be seriously addicted to gaming. and there's other people on here who were clearly affected in the same way.

but I'm not trying to continue on a fight here, I am just making a statement, and that's all. this wasn't even meant to be a hate-on WoW topic, it was more-so meant to share stories and fun facts, if you read what I said on the first post "Share your stories, be them Horror stories..success stories, etc"

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Baron Khaine said:
You know what I hate? People who say they quit WoW and make that out to be a big thing.

Its a fucking game.

I'm playing it now, and enjoying it, but if it gets unenjoyable like it did last time, which i'm pretty sure it will at some point, i'll stop playing. Its as simple as that.

Once again, game it fucking is.
Yea, I feel that. I played for years but just stopped. It got boring. Just a game people. Just a game. It has no secret ingredient, no chemical addictive substance, it's just a game.

It's not the games fault people can't control themselves.