The creepiest/scariest real world things?

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
So I was wondering what things IRL are naturally creepiest/scariest? I not exactly looking for the most standard examples, whatever personally gives you the shivers is just as valid as anything else. You can expand the idea to people or things that personify an idea or action as well.
For me:
#1. by far and away: Clowns. To me, these are the creepiest thing on the planet, it probably didn't help that my mom collects clown dolls, wich combined two denizens of the uncanny valley into one uber geeper creeper...
#2. abandoned hospitals/psycho surgeons: there is just something about white tile and stainless steel that gives me goosebumps...
#3. Old gregorian chants, you know that kind that are always used as ambient music when some evil cult is involved...
#4. Early diving suits, I dont know what it is, especially since I am an experienced diver (Advanced PADI w/ deep & night diving specialty certifications) but something about the humanoid shape with the metal featureless head gives me the heeby-geebies...

What about you all?

Dawns Gate

May 2, 2011
I think the NOAA's list of unknown sounds creeps me the fuck out. Noises coming from the deep ocean and nobody knows what it is.

And spiders. FUCK THAT SHIT YO. When I was little a bunch of them hatched in my closet and swarmed me. Not what I would call a fun time.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
DBLT4P said:
#3. Old gregorian chants, you know that kind that are always used as ambient music when some evil cult is involved...
Wait? What? You mean the legit gregorian chants? Why? How can this be scary...

Oh well :(

OT: I don't really know... Embarrassment? Judgement? other annoying social anxiety stuff... Slenderman

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
The last time I felt fear in the face of nature was when I was in Texas, the sky had turned green, the wind was rapidly increasing, and I couldn't see more than a hundred feet SW, which I knew meant I wouldn't be able to see the tornado coming in time if there was one.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
The FUCKING OCEAN. WHO KNOWS WHAT'S DOWN THERE? I SURE AS SHIT DON'T BUT I KNOW IT'S BIG AND HAS LOTS OF TEETH.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
White Lightning said:
The FUCKING OCEAN. WHO KNOWS WHAT'S DOWN THERE? I SURE AS SHIT DON'T BUT I KNOW IT'S BIG AND HAS LOTS OF TEETH.
Yeah, I gotta go with oceans.

I remember I was dragged into the ocean once when I was in San Diego and I kept flipping out every time something brushed against my leg. :(

Seriously though, there are things in there with big sharp teeth and they don't want cuddles.

That we know about. D:

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
the chickens we have at home scare me, they follow you and peck your feet.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Spiders. Oh my god, spiders. Everything about them is horrible. I hate them. I swear they're the worst things in existence. It doesn't help that they're the worst things you can encounter in games ever.

Captcha: Clean and shiny.

No, they really aren't, Captcha.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
We got more than a couple of posts in without anyone mentioning wasps? This is weird.

Well, that's my pick. Put me near a wasp and I will freak right out. I keep getting told that this isn't how to go about things, and that it'll lead to being bitten, but I've yet to be bitten yet, so I'm going to do what's worked so far.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
The parasite that infects ants, pulls tendrils out of their back, takes over their central nervous system making them reach the highest point they can in the sorrounding area before exploding into spores to pass on the virus. This ACTUALLY exists people. Forgot it's name, but it's terrible.

Capatcha: "be mine". I love you too Cappy!

snowpuppy

Feb 18, 2011
Industrial era war ships. Those creep me out, being inside an abandoned one with an evil clown straight from the uncanny valley would kill be by heart attack.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I remember reading some article on the 'top 10 creepiest places on earth' and the ones that resonate in my memory are an abandoned island completely littered with dolls, just dolls lying around, hanging on strings. The other was some abandoned theme park in Japan, overgrown and everything was rotting, looked really creepy. I definitely agree with dolls and clowns being incredibly creepy.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
DBLT4P said:
So I was wondering what things IRL are naturally creepiest/scariest? I not exactly looking for the most standard examples, whatever personally gives you the shivers is just as valid as anything else. You can expand the idea to people or things that personify an idea or action as well.
For me:
#1. by far and away: Clowns. To me, these are the creepiest thing on the planet, it probably didn't help that my mom collects clown dolls, wich combined two denizens of the uncanny valley into one uber geeper creeper...
#2. abandoned hospitals/psycho surgeons: there is just something about white tile and stainless steel that gives me goosebumps...
#4. Early diving suits, I dont know what it is, especially since I am an experienced diver (Advanced PADI w/ deep & night diving specialty certifications) but something about the humanoid shape with the metal featureless head gives me the heeby-geebies...

What about you all?
I am with you on the clowns. They are the epitome of all things evil on earth. They are beyond scary.

The other thing, religious zealots. I am not anti-religion. I think it is all bull but I have nothing against people who have faith. But when they belive it to the point that they will hurt of kill others because they do not think as they do scares me. Alot.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You are much more likely to be raped or murdered by someone who is a friend or family member than someone who is not. And a bunch of your other friends or family members are likely to not believe it, or worse take their side.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
DBLT4P said:
Wait? What? You mean the legit gregorian chants? Why? How can this be scary...

Oh well :(

OT: I don't really know... Embarrassment? Judgement? other annoying social anxiety stuff... Slenderman
How does one find these things? I was trying to get some but they dont really come out on albums.

OT: People. Rest of the nature cant really be evil.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Hospitals of any kind (anything from asylums to the bog standard ones.) Normally, if i look at one in daylight, i think 'meh, its just another building', But then if i see one at night, it creeps me out. The thought of how all those medical objects (Scalpel's, Sedatives etc) can go from being helpful to something deadly so easily makes me uncomfortable.

Also- Churches, although again, only at night. They look so cold and abandoned in the dark. Makes me wonder if anyone would hear you scream from within one, considering how their usually not connected to any other buildings.

Final one- The dark (I actually like it when its nighttime, But if I'm in a really dark room or something i hate it. I don't like the fact that your practically defenseless if something jumps you, and that you cant tell what could be lurking in the room.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Half the stuff mentioned on Cracked articles. Seriously there's some freaky shit out there and Cracked seems to enjoy archiving it all o_O

Example:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19511_the-7-creepiest-places-earth-part-3.html
http://www.cracked.com/article_18381_the-5-creepiest-unexplained-broadcasts.html