The creepiest/scariest real world things?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (shortened from hereon to 'FOP')

Basically, it's a (mercifully rare, thank God) disease that's inherited at birth, and it deals with the regeneration of muscles, ligaments and tendons. Normally, the body can regenerate these fairly well over a variable period of time. However, with FOP, it's a little different. The body doesn't replace them with more muscles/tendons/ligaments; the body replaces them with bone.
So imagine, if you will, every joint in your body suddenly being blocked by solid bone. You essentially adopt the mobility of a stone statue while retaining full human consciousness. Any attempt to remove the unwanted bone growth only results in more of it. You're stuck like that until you either die from suffocation due tothe bones in your chest being unable to expand, or you die from starvation because you can't move your jaw.
And it's slow.

Thankfully, there have only been 700 confirmed cases worldwide since it's discovery in the early 1900's.

Have a nice day.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
This is literally the worst thing that exists on the planet.

Just looking at that picture makes me want to cry.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Srsly gais?

Let the eyes pierce your soul.

GOGH FUCK! BURN IT WITH FIRE!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
For me, it's knowing what people are capable of. But maybe I watch too many crime shows..

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Sebaceous cysts...
~and on that note, I'm having surgery to remove one from my skull tomorrow.

...yay.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Jason Rayes said:
halofreak123 said:
The parasite that infects ants, pulls tendrils out of their back, takes over their central nervous system making them reach the highest point they can in the sorrounding area before exploding into spores to pass on the virus. This ACTUALLY exists people. Forgot it's name, but it's terrible.

Capatcha: "be mine". I love you too Cappy!
You read Cracked too?
No, what is that? I heard about Cordycepts on a forum post (not this forum, for clarifacation) where the subject was about how this virus could evolve onto other animals and in time humans. Seriously, what is Cracked?

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
halofreak123 said:
Jason Rayes said:
halofreak123 said:
The parasite that infects ants, pulls tendrils out of their back, takes over their central nervous system making them reach the highest point they can in the sorrounding area before exploding into spores to pass on the virus. This ACTUALLY exists people. Forgot it's name, but it's terrible.

Capatcha: "be mine". I love you too Cappy!
You read Cracked too?
No, what is that? I heard about Cordycepts on a forum post (not this forum, for clarifacation) where the subject was about how this virus could evolve onto other animals and in time humans. Seriously, what is Cracked?
Cracked is a humour website. The article is here:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19384_the-5-creepiest-ways-animals-have-mastered-mind-control.html

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Jason Rayes said:
Cracked is a humour website. The article is here:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19384_the-5-creepiest-ways-animals-have-mastered-mind-control.html
Thanks for the link I think I found a new favorite website.