The creepiest/scariest real world things?

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Simon Pettersson said:
Darkness. Just plain empty darkness.
This. So much this! It makes just about everything spookier. Nothing but wide space. You can't see anything. It could be almost anything hiding in there. Out of the shadows...

Both human threat or non human...

Easton Dark said:

Stay out of all the oceans, they're where bad stuff is.
What the fuck is that?? What is it?? That's not a shark!!! Is it?

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
Camel Spiders.
/Thread.

Apparently these horrible things leap several feet into the air, latch onto the undersides of camels, and inject localized anesthesia, as opposed to venom. They then proceed to CONSUME FLESH.

Whenever I remember these exist, I get the urge to just nuke earth from orbit.

Tycon

Aug 21, 2012
Stonefish. The scientific name is Synanceia. Just by the lightest graze of your finger on this legendary fish the pain caused is said to be so intense that victims plead to have their limbs amputated.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
1. Millipedes
2. Clusters of anything that are large and insectlike (even humans in cities sometimes)
3. The regularity of honeycombs
4. Those toads whose young implant their eggs on their mother's back, then erupt
5. Eyes...blech...
6. The foam formed by yeast on top of wine that can be way too regular
7. 3D tatoos

ODWX9K

Oct 29, 2012
Almost nothing I've been around has really scared me, and I've been around & through a lot of stuff.

I suppose what I do find the creepiest is the idea of normalcy.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
My worst fear, without a doubt, is the ocean, just thinking about the creatures that dwell there give me the creeps.

OH and clowns.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Those types of Birds and reptiles that have those things protuding from their necks. Those things that when they extend them outward it looks like another face.

This is the closest example I could find of lizards but this particular fellow doesn't really have a face on it.

Johnny Reb

Sep 12, 2010
Arnold Judas Rimmer said:
Leopard Seals.

Damn things are scary as shit

Dude, that is so metal. Fucking thing just ripped the penguin's head off. you never see that kind of brutality on the discovery channel documentaries.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
game-lover said:
What the fuck is that?? What is it?? That's not a shark!!! Is it?
Yes it is.

But it is a harmless creature. It doesn't even have real teeth and only eats plancton microorganisms and VERY small fish.

(See: basking shark)

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Arnold Judas Rimmer said:
Leopard Seals.

Damn things are scary as shit

Is it bad that my first thoughts were of happy feet and "I take you with ketchup"

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
White Lightning said:
The FUCKING OCEAN. WHO KNOWS WHAT'S DOWN THERE? I SURE AS SHIT DON'T BUT I KNOW IT'S BIG AND HAS LOTS OF TEETH.
Yeah, I gotta go with oceans.

I remember I was dragged into the ocean once when I was in San Diego and I kept flipping out every time something brushed against my leg. :(

Seriously though, there are things in there with big sharp teeth and they don't want cuddles.

That we know about. D:
I agree as well. Oceans are scary.

I've only been to ocean beaches a handful of times on vacations, but I never went more than a few feet/steps into it. Never swam in the water, just let it get about as high as my shins and maybe to my knees because of the waves.

Other than that, my fear of the ocean comes from nightmares I've had, and wow are they doozies.

Usually I'm under the water, something big is headed towards me though I don't know what it is, but right before it gets into view, I wake up.
I'm fourthing Oceans in this thread.
You know a place is absolutely horrifying when stumbling upon and reawakening Cthulhu is the least of your worries!

I guess a close second place comes to this...

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
#1: Humanity; because seriously, the fuck?!
#2: Certain deep sea creatures. See also: Dagon
#3: Centipedes.... FUUUUUUCK.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
DBLT4P said:
#3. Old gregorian chants, you know that kind that are always used as ambient music when some evil cult is involved...
Wait? What? You mean the legit gregorian chants? Why? How can this be scary...

Oh well :(

OT: I don't really know... Embarrassment? Judgement? other annoying social anxiety stuff... Slenderman
Damn, that's some nice relaxing music. I was pretty stressed from the day, but not anymore, thanks!

OT: Spiders, and Clowns. Hell, any insects as well, and the ocean. We know so little about it!

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Those fucking abandoned russian radio signals that just keep on beebing for years on end, with a tone change or a little chatter in the background every few years.

I know there are logical explanations for them, but holy jesus, old abandoned things that are still there and might be in secret use? That's the shit that creeps me out the most.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Many human psychological processes relating to dreaming scare the hell out of me.

A particular one that sucks is the fun 'Wake up from horrible nightmare + Sleep paralysis from waking up suddenly = Horrible feeling of not being able to move or speak and knowing that within moments you'll fall back asleep and fear falling into the same nightmare' yeah, that one's awesome.

Bonus points when the above happens, except you never really woke up the first time with sleep paralysis, but because you know that it exists and were already afraid of it, that was just part of the nightmare.

Also- fear of having a psychotic episode due to a previously undiagnosed problem or problem first presenting itself where you perceive something to be happening that really isn't, in public, and react to it, much to your embarrassment (or worse).

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Spiders. I don't know why though, because I have more reason to be afraid of snakes. A justifying story for that statement, when I was much younger I nearly stepped on a pigmy rattlesnake. Later on in my life, I got a corn snake as a birthday present. Then even later in my life I noticed our cat was pawing at something that was revealed to be another pigmy rattlesnake and I was ok with it. I'll also pick up a wild snake if I have identified it as non-venomous.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
INF1NIT3 D00M said:
Camel Spiders.
/Thread.

Apparently these horrible things leap several feet into the air, latch onto the undersides of camels, and inject localized anesthesia, as opposed to venom. They then proceed to CONSUME FLESH.

Whenever I remember these exist, I get the urge to just nuke earth from orbit.
*screeches* I always click the bad! I'm a sucker for smuck bait!

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
lRookiel said:
That sounded amazing, I feel so relaxed right now.
redisforever said:
Damn, that's some nice relaxing music. I was pretty stressed from the day, but not anymore, thanks!
I aim to please :)

Vhite said:
I usually find them on Pandora or Youtube. I found one from a service I went to once.
You should check out Alberto Turco, The road to compostela (rose ensemble), and Chant- music for the soul (cistercian monks)