The Divide

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, that guy in the first panel looks like a comic version of me.
That shit is uncanny, seriously.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Do you have a pyramid of Fart Pop on you desk as well?

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
I would give you Pulitzers, Grey. Your comic is better than most of what those "game journlists" spit out.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Dat panel 3.. Selling out SO HARD... I knew Starbucks and Apple bought all their reviews on this site and now we have proof.

Anyways, Now that I think about it this is 100% spot on. I wonder if you'll get people telling you that you're just copying *insert writers name here* next time you point out some ludonarratively dissonant shenanigans.

Jan 12, 2012
I'm sensing a little bit of bitterness. Just remember that you can include pictures of genitals in your work at any time, while most games journalists cannot.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
This comic is more true than I'd like it to be.

Thunderous Cacophony said:
I'm sensing a little bit of bitterness. Just remember that you can include pictures of genitals in your work at any time, while most games journalists cannot.
This too.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
RoonMian said:
hazabaza1 said:
Do you have a pyramid of Fart Pop on you desk as well?
Sadly not, but it is as messy as shit.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
OP:It's ok Cory/Grey we appreciate you and your work that you do for us here on the escapist and thank you for it ^_^

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Okay so this came up on Address the Sess and now here, does someone want to explain to me what this Luddonarrative Dissonance bullshit is?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Kyogissun said:
Okay so this came up on Address the Sess and now here, does someone want to explain to me what this Luddonarrative Dissonance bullshit is?
It's fancyspeak for "Gameplay and Story Segregation" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation].

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Kyogissun said:
Basically, when the gameplay and story have a huge disconnect.

The classic example is "in Final Fantasy VII why couldn't they just revive Aerith with a phoenix down?"
Basically, the game rules and the "story rules" or "cutscene rules" are working on two different rulesets. This is seen everywhere. You'll also see characters take an insane amount of damage but then suddenly a knife to the throat or gun held to the head in a cutscene is a huge threat.

All credit to Devil May Cry as it never had this problem.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Do game journalist get Pulitzer Prizes? Has that ever happened? Who are you people and why are you in my room?

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
if i recall correctly a Pulitzer is specifically for text / journalism so basically you want the 'Comic-ey' award to be made and you'll have more chance of getting it too :p

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
MrFinnishDude said:
I have just noticed that Erin has not been hallucinating lately. (if you count off that giant mantis)
There was also the pikmin in/on her drink last week.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Ludonarrative dissonance... The more you know, huh? I once read an article which says that we learn sixty new words each day. I suppose 'ludonarrative' and 'ludology' are a couple I'm now conscious of.