The Division Breaks Ubisoft Sales Records

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Division Breaks Ubisoft Sales Records

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/917/917599.jpg
The Division, a new IP, has nudged out established franchises like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry.

Well here's some unexpectedly good news for those of you who are sick of franchises and "yearly sequels". The Division [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20division?os=the+division], Ubisoft's latest post-apocalyptic MMO shooter thing, has gone and broken sales records for the publisher, making it the fastest selling Ubisoft title to date. This means that a new IP has nudged out established franchises like Assassin's Creed and Far Cry.

Ubisoft confirmed in a blog post [http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-sets-new-sales-records/] that the game sold more in its first 24 hours than any game in Ubisoft's history, and that total digital full game sales of The Division also set new, single-day company records across PC, Xbox One and PS4.

"The launch of The Division is a tremendous achievement for Ubisoft, and demonstrates our unrivaled capacity to create fantastic new game brands and transform them into entertainment blockbusters," said Yves Guillemot, co-founder and CEO, Ubisoft. "This is a momentous day for Ubisoft, but more importantly it marks the start of millions of players' enduring engagement in The Division's game world, which we are confident they will love."

[gallery=5938]

The Division had a fairly lengthy beta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165900-The-Division-Beta-Launches-at-the-End-of-the-Month] that allowed players the opportunity to try out the game before release, possibly contributing to the game's record-breaking day one sales. It's out now on PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-sets-new-sales-records/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Division 2, coming 2017.

Y'know, I meant that as a cheap low-hanging-fruit joke. But it's probably not far off the truth.

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise us... by waiting till 2018.

Oh, I played the beta and the game was boring as fuck. Nothing but loot grinding and bare-bones combat. Didn't even hold my interest for the duration of the beta weekend.

(And now I feel like an edgy tryhard for bashing on a popular new game. I'm sure I can blame that on Ubisoft somehow.)

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Well here's some unexpectedly good news for those of you who are sick of franchises and "yearly sequels". The Division, Ubisoft's latest post-apocalyptic MMO shooter thing, has gone and broken sales records for the publisher, making it the fastest selling Ubisoft title to date.
That's cool. Except for the part where this will now become their newest franchise to run into the ground with horrendous amounts of DLC and sequels -_-

I'm actually surprised it's sold so well. After the beta, the general consensus seemed to be the game was pretty average at best. Gameplay looked really dull to me. Just a generic 3rd person shooter with MMO grind.

Oh well, to each their own.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
ron1n said:
I'm actually surprised it's sold so well. After the beta, the general consensus seemed to be the game was pretty average at best. Gameplay looked really dull to me. Just a generic 3rd person shooter with MMO grind.
I had the opposite impression of the beta - an excellent third person shooter with loot (which is a plus) and enough tough challenges to be really rewarding to play with friends.

dateryu

Aug 22, 2011
Bland, uninspired multiplayer shooter breaks sales records. Next up: Big AAA developer releases open world action game. A sequel is planned for next year.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Welp, lucky for Ubisoft that they have a new franchise to release every year now that Assassin's Creed is on break.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
but, but this game is boring, repetitive and cliche riddled. and thats just alone the beta which i have played. after 3 hours i was bored.
go there, shoot up some guys, do this, save that guy, defeat an over powered boss. shoot more guys who turn out to be bullet sponges. even when i was over their level. nice idea but just tedious.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
But how...

No really, how? You need PS+ to play this game and it's a bore to watch. Almost every comment section of video on The Division is filled with negative comments about the game.

Oh well, who cares. Not gonna buy it.

Also, are we really gonna consider it a new IP? It is a Tom Clancy game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
record number of ubisoft customers wait in virtual line because ubisoft does not understand how to program npcs to talk to more than one player at a time, bringing back fond memories of runescape circa 2001

"don't cut"

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
weirdee said:
record number of ubisoft customers wait in virtual line because ubisoft does not understand how to program npcs to talk to more than one player at a time, bringing back fond memories of runescape circa 2001

"don't cut"
Please tell me that's in pvp area, that would be hilarious. The hilarity that would ensue from one madman.

Ot: was only interested in getting this until I realised it was the a "like Destiny but..." scenario. Unfortunately all my irl friends only play cod and fifa so no getting a group together :/

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Like EA before them, their servers were not able to cope with the Always Online requirement for the Single Player.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
Also, are we really gonna consider it a new IP? It is a Tom Clancy game.
That's not an IP, that's more of a creators name indicator.
Similar how we could have had "Miamoto's Super Mario Bros" and "Miamoto's Legend of Zelda" - those are still not the same IP.
Same case here, "Tom Clancy's" isn't the IP, "The Division" is.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
weirdee said:

"don't cut"
That...

Wait, no...that can't be a real thing...can it?

People actually have to stand in line to wait to talk to some blank-eyed NPC?

That might be the funniest thing I've ever seen in a videogame...

Edit: Annnnnd it turns out it's true. Apparently Ubisoft has created the fastest selling stand-in-line simulator ever. Congrats!

What's great is that apparently players have a little bubble around them that other players can't enter and trolls have been standing in the doorway to that room, blocking people out and locking them in. :3

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Watched the Jimpression of this game and was shocked by just how bored Jim seemed playing it and how bored I was watching Jim play it. The most I took from it was that it was a functional game, it did what it says on the tin but their was literally nothing to keep you doing what you were doing.

Mind you saying that every single video I've seen of this game, from tech demos to pre renders to in game footage have all had the same issue, really really nice to look at but from a gameplay point of view utterly boring. Not really sure what sales say though, I guessing that if you release a functional yet uninspiringly tedious game that looks nice and has had the right amount of marketing (both positive and negative) people will buy the game. Either that or the modern video gamer really really likes cover based shooters.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This one's beyond me. I cannot for the life of me figure out what kind of boring person would enjoy this game in the sea of other, much better multiplayer titles.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Dominic Crossman said:
weirdee said:

"don't cut"
Please tell me that's in pvp area, that would be hilarious. The hilarity that would ensue from one madman.

Ot: was only interested in getting this until I realised it was the a "like Destiny but..." scenario. Unfortunately all my irl friends only play cod and fifa so no getting a group together :/
If I have my information right, no, it's not a PVP area. It's actually the immediate start of the game, notice the "01" in the corner, indicating the guys level.

The people in line literally can't finish the first or second tutorial quest so they can't even progress in the game.

And I wonder too how this game broke those records, because I was someone who was pretty interested in the game until someone made a destiny parallel and I immediately stopped caring because I could see where they saw that. A bland, empty city-scape populated with near identical enemies and unimaginative missions/sidequests.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
In the beta I thought it was a serviceable shooter, until me and a friend got up to dark zone shenanigans. We liked the dark zone, bought the game. Give it a chance and it's a blast co-op. More random activity variety, actually fun to sight-see, and hard mode missions are great in co-op.

Plus the characters have motivation for what they do, and they don't have mystery box vagueness everywhere, like some Dinklebots I know.

edit- played on PS4, didn't experience a line. Did get into a luggage soccer match with someone in the tutorial safehouse though

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
This one's beyond me. I cannot for the life of me figure out what kind of boring person would enjoy this game in the sea of other, much better multiplayer titles.
Yes, all those other well executed Co-op PvE shooters with loot, like... Destiny, and... uh...

OT: Picked up my copy yesterday but had more pressing college type things to take care of so I haven't actually played yet.

It would be nice if what Ubi took from these sales numbers was "We can make more money if we come up with new IP" but I fear what they will actually take away is "we need yearly Division sequels!".