The Downfall of Downfall on YouTube

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Downfall of Downfall on YouTube

The Downfall parody videos so popular on YouTube may be going the way of the dodo, thanks to a copyright claim filed by Constantin Film, the production and distribution company responsible for the movie.

The famous Downfall parodies are about as close to required viewing as you're going to find on the internet. Even my dad has sent me a link to one of them, although I can't remember which. And for good reason, because there are dozens of the things: Hitler Gets Banned From Xbox Live, Hitler Moves to North Dakota and Hitler Angry at Favre for Staying in Minnesota, to name but a few. Most are fairly dull but a few are absolutely inspired; even Oliver Hirschbiegel , the director of Downfall (saying in January [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/], "Many times the lines are so funny, I laugh out loud, and I'm laughing about the scene that I staged myself!"

Constantin Films, on the other hand, doesn't have such a charitable view of the videos and has begun issuing copyright claims to YouTube [http://www.youtube.com], forcing their removal. The sheer number of them makes it a daunting task but many, including Hitler Learns Leno is Moving Back to Late Night, the aforementioned Hitler Gets Banned From Xbox Live and even the incredibly meta Hitler Makes a YouTube Video are already gone. New Hitler videos, meanwhile, are apparently getting the axe as soon as they arrive; one about the leaked iPhone controversy was taken down the same day it was uploaded.

The irony of Constantin's action is obvious: Many movie fans have made a point of seeing Downfall precisely because of these videos. The copyright claim may be valid but the fact is that you can't buy that kind of publicity, and I cannot fathom why Constantin would ever want to pull the plug on it. Whatever the reason, the bottom line is this: If you want to see any of these videos, you better be quick about it.

And please: Nobody tell Hitler.

Source: Open Video Alliance [http://openvideoalliance.org/2010/04/hitler-downfall-meme-gets-dmcad/?l=en]

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
What? They're banning those videos? That's the worst thing to happen to Youtube since they stopped allowing music videos to be shown in the UK! I think the Downfall parodies have actually done wonders for the film, I only heard about the film through the parodies myself. They've effectively brought the film itself a massive legion of fans, and are one of the best things to be on Youtube in a long time. I think Constantin are making a massive mistake, personally...

Apr 28, 2008
Well that sucks ass.
I know its within their right, but that doesn't mean its not lame as hell...

edit: Actually, I'm curious, how many people saw the movie because of the youtube video's?

I know I did.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I never get why companies keep doing it. They're basically blocking stopping people from advertising their own product for them.

I understand they have the right to do so, but they're basically shooting themselves in the foot here.

Sir Moomin

Apr 16, 2010
I never heard of these i did a little searching and just laughed at my screen!

Soldier : "But sir the Xbox 360 rules"

Hitler : "Fuck the Xbox 360 fanboy talk"

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Even though I've only seen one, I think it was one on Sarah Palin resigning, I found the video hilarious. But now the fun and happy/new thought police have come.

This is madness!

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Great movie. They were funny at first but now there is way to many of them, but hey it had a good run.(Oh and also appropriate date)

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I'm sorry but what is downfall? I've never seen it. Also at time of typing in this message your picture is broken.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Irridium said:
Well that sucks ass.
I know its within their right, but that doesn't mean its not lame as hell...

edit: Actually, I'm curious, how many people saw the movie because of the youtube video's?

I know I did.

Yup me too. I remember seeing it in the videostore many times and always intended on renting it. But with the help of youtube I actually got around to doing it.

OT: That's too bad, I would always go back and watch a few of them for a laugh.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Awwwwww this sucks! A part of me wants to cry (not really) and another punch the person responsible for this in the face.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
xmetatr0nx said:
But most importantly wtf is downfall? I will say good, whatever helps rid youtube of all its garbage. (granted i havent seen said videos, but they probably are garbage)
Wow, prejudice. "It's on YouTube therefore it must suck."

The videos in question are of a particular scene in Downfall, where Adolf Hitler is meeting with his remaining top generals to plan the defense of Berlin as the Allies and Soviets come knocking. It's rather dramatic, watched by itself. But the sight of Hitler going into a nervous screaming sesion has led people to subtitle the scene with all sorts of hilarious dialogue, having Hitler rant about everything from the XBox to Starcraft II.

It's a pity. It's just one scene of the movie, but you know how the big media companies slam the door shut on any showing of their stuff that they don't control. [sub]or make money off of[/sub]

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008

My favourite.
And Bruno Ganz is a brilliant actor; I really must switch off the german not to break the illusion.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Why ban them, it is just such a waste of time, it gets them free publicity with no negative drawbacks.