The Downfall of Downfall on YouTube

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
actually you know what's kind of sad, the original director welcomed these videos, check it out:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/the_director_of_downfall_on_al.html

he has seen a LOT of them and laughed at each of the good ones, nonetheless, he wishes he could have gotten royalties, don't we all?

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Irridium said:
Well that sucks ass.
I know its within their right, but that doesn't mean its not lame as hell...

edit: Actually, I'm curious, how many people saw the movie because of the youtube video's?

I know I did.
I did, and it made the videos even MROE awesome when you see how serious that scene is XD

So constatine is the next Viacom eh?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This doesn't surprise me, since all studios see are bottom lines and have no imagination themselves. That's what they hire directors and producers for.
I have seen a couple of those Downfall parodies, one being the first encounter between Enterprise and Reliant in Star Trek II, and I found it quite entertaining.
It will be a losing battle, because people will still keep posting them.
Grayjack said:
What a birthday gift for Adolf.
Andy Chalk said:
And please: Nobody tell Hitler.
Too late.
You, and that YouTube poster, are the man. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Power to the people!

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
This doesn't surprise me, since all studios see are bottom lines and have no imagination themselves. That's what they hire directors and producers for.
I have seen a couple of those Downfall parodies, one being the first encounter between Enterprise and Reliant in Star Trek II, and I found it quite entertaining.
It will be a losing battle, because people will still keep posting them.
Grayjack said:
What a birthday gift for Adolf.
Andy Chalk said:
And please: Nobody tell Hitler.
Too late.
You, and that YouTube poster, are the man. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Power to the people!
Thank you. I aim to please.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I still think the best one was when Hitler declared war on the Hitler Parodies. It even bothered to use a different scene!

Unfortunately, it was one of the first to go.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Don't worry everybody! It seems there is already a website to preserve the Downfall parodies.

www.downfallparodies.com has an ass-ton of them...

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Aren't these videos parodies and covered under fair-use? Not that it would matter I guess. youtube always takes a whitewash approach to legal issues, even if there's nothing really to wash.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
[joke]
Constantin Films are a bunch of Nazis.*
[/joke]
Wait, did I just divide by ze

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Two points, firstly, it's ridiculing Hitler, a genuine monster, who's now seen pretty much as a comedy character by most people around today. Humour has robbed him of all his power, and I still think it's one of the best ways to attack someone who deals in terror and hate. With any luck 'Four Lions' will be a small step forward in respect of terrorism.

Secondly, as well as this being parody and protected, is this not a similar thing to music videos? Music videos were created specifically to be an advert for the music, so you'd go and buy the CD, and now they're tearing them down from the biggest video sharing site in the world?

Honestly, it seems a lot of companies are so terrified of what they may be 'potentially' losing, that they've lost sight of what they can gain if they stop to think for a moment instead of slapping legal letters in the direction of every website that dares to use .com in their address, just like 'our new movie's site, we have copyright on .com now'
There so much international social interaction that Downfall has hit millions of people, whereas , being a Film Four low budget movie, it may never have escaped the UK.

Just like, if you are talking to gamer friends from across the atlantic, you might send them a link to a music video of someone you like, that they'd never heard of.

Of course, now you can't do that, so you have to send them the mp3s thru your choice of messenger instead, making it far less likely that they'll go out and buy the album, than if they'd seen a youtube video and decided they liked them.

Has it not recently been proven that music lovers who pirate spend more on music than non pirates? Please, stop looking at these ethereal, 'potential' losses, and look at the money you're earning! Last time I got three numbers on the lottery and won £10 I was pleased, I didn't tear it up and just off a cliff because dammit it should have been all six numbers!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Notsomuch said:
Aren't these videos parodies and covered under fair-use?
Nope. It's rather like the Penny Arcade Strawberry Shortcake debacle. Allow me to summarize:
1) PA parodies American McGee's dark-version-of-kid's-character by drawing a sexy Strawberry Shortcake.
2) American Greetings, right in the middle of trying to resurrect the brand, decides Strawberry in a leather bustier is the last thing they need, and gets the lawyers out. The standard take-it-down-or-see-you-in-court letter is issued.
3) Gabe and Tycho ask a lawyer. (And here comes the important part.)
4) Lawyer says that because they weren't parodying the property they were infringing on, they were on incredibly thin ice.
5) Gabe and Tycho take the image down. Their very next comic is one accusing American Greetings of - amusingly enough - Nazism, or at least employing a Nazi on their reception desk. This one stays up.
6) The Strawberry Shortcake comic is never seen again and is of course not the easiest PA comic to find online. (Ahem.)

Basically, it's like reacting to a guy who threatened you by punching a random passerby who had nothing to do with it. The law might let you get away with punching out a guy who threatened you, but they'll take a dim view of you doing the same to an innocent third party.

IANAL, TINLA, etc. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL] So take this as free non-advice from an idiot. But the basic idea is that parody is only protected if the property you use is the target of the parody. For instance, had Gabe and Tycho made the exact same art but used it to parody American Greetings' recent update of the character for the 21st century, they would have been on stronger legal ground. Similarly, I presume the sort of Downfall remix that's protected would be, strangely enough, the one where he rants on the removal of other Downfall edits. Again, I.A.N.A.L.

I'm just surprised we haven't seen a Downfall edit that's just a semi-coherent ramble composed entirely of captions taken from other Downfall edits.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Notsomuch said:
Aren't these videos parodies and covered under fair-use?
Nope. It's rather like the Penny Arcade Strawberry Shortcake debacle. Allow me to summarize:
1) PA parodies American McGee's dark-version-of-kid's-character by drawing a sexy Strawberry Shortcake.
2) American Greetings, right in the middle of trying to resurrect the brand, decides Strawberry in a leather bustier is the last thing they need, and gets the lawyers out. The standard take-it-down-or-see-you-in-court letter is issued.
3) Gabe and Tycho ask a lawyer. (And here comes the important part.)
4) Lawyer says that because they weren't parodying the property they were infringing on, they were on incredibly thin ice.
5) Gabe and Tycho take the image down. Their very next comic is one accusing American Greetings of - amusingly enough - Nazism, or at least employing a Nazi on their reception desk. This one stays up.
6) The Strawberry Shortcake comic is never seen again and is of course not the easiest PA comic to find online. (Ahem.)

*snip*
Thanks, that makes the legal side make more sense. The financial side however...it was free advertising that didn't really paint the movie in a bad light, but raised a lot of curiosity to see the whole film. Enforcing a legal right for your own detriment doesn't make much sense to me. Oh well...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Because it's free publicity they're not making money off of. Money is the only language they know, money is the only food they eat.

You can see lots of these downfall clips on TGWTG, but I can't say where, because they randomly pop into various show's episodes at unexpected moments for shits & giggles.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Good, I say. None of those videos were ever funny. I won't miss them.

(edited to make my thoughts simpler for people to understand)

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
The parodies are probably really funny, but it kind of ruins the joke when you understand what is actually being said.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
How long do you think until someone makes a Downfall video of this? I wager it already exists.
This was a genius comment. Moving on.

*Why* would they ban this?

The first I saw was a youtube video parodying the Disney buyout of Marvel. It was the first time I had ever truly sympathized with Hitler. Also the last time so far.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Trivun said:
they stopped allowing music videos to be shown in the UK!
Are you serious? Holy shit...

On-topic, so what? YouTube is getting worse and worse, they even dropped their 'glossy' theme and made everything look like a stack of bricks.