The Dragon Age 2 Preorder Bonus Cavalcade Continues

Ridrith

Aug 17, 2009
Agree
mattttherman3 said:
Man, the signature edition I'm getting is looking better and better.
Agreed.

For those whining about day one DLC, get over it. I'm willing to pay another ten dollars for an extra character, and starting equipment for my characters. Especially if it looks pretty cool like the shield. If you're worried about not getting your moneys worth out of this game there's a pretty simple solution. Don't buy it, end of story.

I guess luckily I have a job where I don't have to second guess most of my gaming purchases, it's a bioware rpg. That's honestly about all I need to know in order to buy it. If that makes me a sheep, so be it. I've yet to regret buying one of their games thus far.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
As I said before I will wait for the compilation game of the year edition that will inevitably have all the dlc and buy that when it comes out. I learned my lesson from Dragon Age Origins.

I will still buy Mass Effect 3 on release day though.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Omnific One said:
I'm wondering if all the free stuff is to get people to preorder before they find out how bad it is. Just a thought.

On a side note, I'm buying this game used to protest the amount of content they are cutting for Day 1 DLC for peorders only. It's ridiculous.
Let me know how that works out for you... Oh wait, BioWare don't care since they aren't actually getting a cut for trade-in resales, hence the policy.

Assassin Xaero said:
So, I'd be paying $10 extra for a sword and shield, or are they pulling the "we are trying to stop people from buying used, but jacked the price of the PC version up also since they can't buy used either" shit? No sale here.
Meanwhile, in Signature Edition territory, things are looking great.

obscurumlux01 said:
People are really sheep sometimes.
Let me break this down for the sheep here.

Its not 'free' if you paid for it.
Its NOT 'free' if you paid for it.
Its NOT 'FREE' if you PAID for it already!.

Removing content from the final product (hence day zero/one 'DLC') is an absurdity that I can't believe people tolerate.
This isn't a 'pre-order bonus' thing. Its not 'free' stuff. You already paid for it and its just locked away/removed from the final disk so they could do their promotional stuff.

You're all paying for 'mods' that used to be free!
Enjoy it then, enjoy emptying your wallets to feed these corrupted marketers. Be the sheep that you are.

/facepalm

EDIT: Unrelated, but fuck Capcom for ripping of 'Xplosion Boy/Man'.
Then I guess it IS free since other people will have to pay for it. And fuck capcom.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
That mabari looks badass, but I have a feeling he's not a full party member. Most of the DA:O DLC was meh, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
So you're telling me to sit there downloading for half an hour? Fuck it i'll buy this extra character add on if it's proved to be worth my time, and the free loot gets to fuck off

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
obscurumlux01 said:
Above: Person who understands nothing about our economic system insulting others for their ignorance.

obscurumlux01 said:
Removing content from the final product (hence day zero/one 'DLC') is an absurdity that I can't believe people tolerate.
Goods and services are priced based off of their relative rarity and worth to the consumer, not by some divine statement that Game Developers Must Put Everything They Produce On One Disc For You, Always Priced At 50 Dollars USD. This is the way that it was in the past, but its not anymore. It HAD to be this way. There was no method for them to sell you more of their stuff. Expansion packs used to get a lot of shit for not being released in the main game or just expanded into a sequel. Game development costs have skyrocketed over the years, and yet costs have increased... nothing for PC gamers, and 10 dollars for console gamers. Maybe they need the money? You are not entitled to a single thing that a game developer produces. If Bioware decides to say that levels 1 through 6 are included in the main game, and 7, 8 and 9 will be sold separately as DLC, that's their decision too. If you think DLC should only be produced and made available after the games release, well that's fine, but the rest of us don't care. I'm not stupid because I'm willing to buy day 1 DLC, I'm willing to buy it because that is its value to me. That's how much I will enjoy it. Other companies offer all of their work up for 50 dollars straight up, and then start working on the next title. And I think their work is shit. I work for my money, and I'm more than willing to throw down 100 dollars total for all the content they will produce for Dragon Age 2 like I did for Dragon Age 1, because Bioware has proven time and again to me that it will be worth it.

Personally, I can't see any reason why someone would be spend 600 dollars on an iPad. Or 1,000 for a bed. Or 250,000 for a house. I don't call them stupid for it, I just realize that other people hold different values for different things. Its kinda why we have money in the first place.

obscurumlux01 said:

This isn't a 'pre-order bonus' thing. Its not 'free' stuff. You already paid for it and its just locked away/removed from the final disk so they could do their promotional stuff.
You aren't entitled to that content in the first place. You didn't pay for it. You paid for exactly what Bioware and EA decided were to be included with the game. You never were entitled to everything they would ever develop in relation to the game. Get over yourself, growing up will be a lot less harsh for you if you face reality now.

Be the sheep that you are.
Who, me? I don't know what you're talking about. Baaa.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
So, because I didn't have the money to pre-order DA2 at the time, I now have to pay for the Exiled Prince thing if I want to play it?
Cheers for that EA, totally not a dick move in any way, shape or form.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
spectrenihlus said:
As I said before I will wait for the compilation game of the year edition that will inevitably have all the dlc and buy that when it comes out. I learned my lesson from Dragon Age Origins.

I will still buy Mass Effect 3 on release day though.
I wonder how many other people are like this, I know I am.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
MisterShine said:
You are not entitled to a single thing that a game developer produces.
It's not so much about entitlement as it is about an observable decline in value for money. Like you said, the value of a video game is a very subjective thing so it is quite difficult to observe when the customer is getting less worth for there money than they did in the past, but here it is obvious that they are.

You say that "If Bioware decides to say that levels 1 through 6 are included in the main game, and 7, 8 and 9 will be sold separately as DLC, that's their decision too" and you're right, it is their decision, but it's also your decision whether you support them in it and allow them to do it. If they sell parts 7, 8 and 9 as DLC and enough people buy it, then maybe they decide for the next game to sell parts 6, 7, 8 and 9 as DLC and then maybe 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 until maybe you get to the point that you pay full price for what is essentially a demo and then buy all the rest of it piecemeal as DLC. I don't blame Bioware or EA or whoever for trying to get more money for the content they're producing, it makes sense for them to do it. However, I do blame people like you who just roll over and take it, because if you view it in the long run, it doesn't make sense for you; you're paying more for what you could have had for less. I don't blame you too harshly, I understand why you do it; you want to play a fun game now, I've probably made similar concessions myself in the past. But the end result will still be the same: our position as consumers will have eroded slightly because a new benchmark will have been set wherein we pay x amount of £/$ for 95% of the game instead of 100%. Perhaps the industry cannot support selling 100% of the game-as you mentioned, production costs have increased-but if we take your attitude, we'll never know because the developers will start selling 95% because they can rather than because they have to.

It's the same reason why DRM has become so bad; people continued to buy the games even as the customer's side of the deal became steadily worse, piece by piece (although, in this situation, the developer's side didn't actually get any better, stupidly). And now, instead of just having invasive SecuROM we have games that require a permanent internet connection. The developers have every "right" to screw over the customer, but they will only be able to do it if the customer lets them.

I actually don't mind Project Ten Dollar so much becuase it's kind of an interesting and intelligent idea on EA's part. Particularly in comparison to the industry's previous attempts to get a better deal out of selling games, which is to say DRM and name-calling. It's an upwards trend at least. Maybe one day they'll reach the point where they start offering something positive and I can get in on the deal.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I can hardly wait to play this game three years from now as a rental and judge it solely on what's actually on the disc.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
sir.rutthed said:
Anyone else getting kinda nervous about all this preorder bonus business? I mean, it almost seems like they're trying to cash in on the hype for fear that it's a terrible game and won't sell well. I hope I'm over analyzing this, but that's the impression I'm getting.
I considered that. Then I remembered, rolol, it's bioware.

BIOWARE. LET ME PREORDER OFF OF STEAM. I AM NOT FUCKING AROUND WITH ALL THESE WEBSITES JUST PUT IT ON STEAM!

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
sir.rutthed said:
Anyone else getting kinda nervous about all this preorder bonus business? I mean, it almost seems like they're trying to cash in on the hype for fear that it's a terrible game and won't sell well. I hope I'm over analyzing this, but that's the impression I'm getting.
I considered that. Then I remembered, rolol, it's bioware.

BIOWARE. LET ME PREORDER OFF OF STEAM. I AM NOT FUCKING AROUND WITH ALL THESE WEBSITES JUST PUT IT ON STEAM!
That's what I keep telling myself, but don't forget EA's in the equation as well. If they interfere too much it could cancel out Bioware's awesome. Also, mathematical speaking, the longer Bioware goes without making a bomb the more likely it is they'll make one. To this day, I don't think they've ever even made a mediocre game by most standards (except Mass Effect for iPhone, but honestly who counts that?) so they're long past due. Also, it's on Steam as of today. Comes with the 2 bonuses for preordering.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
T said:
~..but here it is obvious that they are..~
I would disagree. You and I may think so (And I do), but there is a large base of consumers and fans who would much rather pay 50 dollars for Modern Warfare 3 than Baldur's Gate 3, and would get a lot more enjoyment out of it. I think those people are inhuman monsters who I should flee to the safety of underground tunnels to escape from, but their enjoyment is no less legit than mine.

T said:
However, I do blame people like you who just roll over and take it, because if you view it in the long run, it doesn't make sense for you; you're paying more for what you could have had for less.
Sure, and if I wait until 2012 to buy Dragon Age 2, I bet I could get the whole game plus the inevitable expansion and slew of DLC for about half the price of what I'm paying to get just the main game on release day. However, that isn't, to me, worth it. As my Warcraft goblin says so often, time is money friend! It is worth it, to me, to get to play 80% of the "full" DA2 experience and pay more for it immediately than to wait a while for it to get cheaper. I understand why you and many others don't agree, and that is your choice and I would never say that it's the wrong choice. My intent in my original post was to point out that people who DO make the choice that I do are not stupid for doing so, as that is how we value the product, and that we do not feel entitled to any content produced by the company. And since Bioware and EA are making stupid amounts of money off of this, obviously a lot of people agree with me. I know this makes things annoying for people like you, but you simply have to understand that Bioware and EA are doing only exactly what they are meant to do, and in fact HAVE to do: Make money.

T said:
because a new benchmark will have been set wherein we pay x amount of £/$ for 95% of the game instead of 100%. Perhaps the industry cannot support selling 100% of the game-as you mentioned, production costs have increased-but if we take your attitude, we'll never know because the developers will start selling 95% because they can rather than because they have to.
Here's the other side of the point I was trying to make. Why do you feel it is that you are entitled to this piece of content the company decided it didn't want to sell you with the main game?

If you don't like this or its just plain too confusing or troublesome to your game experience, I totally understand that. I myself don't buy games with obtrusive DRM, even though I understand why they feel they need to do it, it just isn't worth it to me. But what I DON'T do is deride others for their choice. If they feel its worth the price, hey, good for them. There is a market for DRM-lite products, and I choose to support them with my wallet.

P.S. I'd like to add your post was intelligent and well said, and I understand where you're coming from. And if obscurum's original post had been said in such a manner, I wouldn't have posted anything here in the first place.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
I hate hate HATE these kinds of things. Uber equipment because you have a twitch reaction to shell out for a game that you can't judge on your own until you get it? Blah.
For one thing, letting people do the whole microtransaction thing to get EQUIPMENT is stupid. Just let people play the game. Doing things like this is basically saying "yeah, we know you don't like having to look around for good equipment. Here's your ticket."

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
manythings said:
Omnific One said:
I'm wondering if all the free stuff is to get people to preorder before they find out how bad it is. Just a thought.

On a side note, I'm buying this game used to protest the amount of content they are cutting for Day 1 DLC for peorders only. It's ridiculous.
Let me know how that works out for you... Oh wait, BioWare don't care since they aren't actually getting a cut for trade-in resales, hence the policy.

Assassin Xaero said:
So, I'd be paying $10 extra for a sword and shield, or are they pulling the "we are trying to stop people from buying used, but jacked the price of the PC version up also since they can't buy used either" shit? No sale here.
Meanwhile, in Signature Edition territory, things are looking great.

obscurumlux01 said:

Its not 'free' if you paid for it.
Its NOT 'free' if you paid for it.

You're all paying for 'mods' that used to be free!
Enjoy it then, enjoy emptying your wallets to feed these corrupted marketers. Be the sheep that you are.

/facepalm

EDIT: Unrelated, but fuck Capcom for ripping of 'Xplosion Boy/Man'.
Then I guess it IS free since other people will have to pay for it. And fuck capcom.
Ah, a Bio-boy. Fun.

Helpful hint: I couldn't care less about the lack of a few crappy pieces of preorder armor. I know they would definitely prefer it if I bought it new, hence why I am buying it used.

Therefore, this point:

Oh wait, BioWare don't care since they aren't actually getting a cut for trade-in resales, hence the policy.
doesn't make sense as they DO care if I buy it new versus used. If they didn't why would there be Project Ten Dollar?

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
MisterShine said:
I would disagree. You and I may think so (And I do), but there is a large base of consumers and fans who would much rather pay 50 dollars for Modern Warfare 3 than Baldur's Gate 3, and would get a lot more enjoyment out of it. I think those people are inhuman monsters who I should flee to the safety of underground tunnels to escape from, but their enjoyment is no less legit than mine.
This is what I meant when I said that it is difficult to gauge when a customer is getting less value for their money becuase of the subjective nature of the experience. What I mean is that 95% of [Game X] is worth less than 100% of [Game X], regardless of whether Game X is Modern Warfare 3 or Baldur's Gate 3 or Dragon Age 2.

Sure, and if I wait until 2012 to buy Dragon Age 2, I bet I could get the whole game plus the inevitable expansion and slew of DLC for about half the price of what I'm paying to get just the main game on release day. However, that isn't, to me, worth it. As my Warcraft goblin says so often, time is money friend! It is worth it, to me, to get to play 80% of the "full" DA2 experience and pay more for it immediately than to wait a while for it to get cheaper. I understand why you and many others don't agree, and that is your choice and I would never say that it's the wrong choice. My intent in my original post was to point out that people who DO make the choice that I do are not stupid for doing so, as that is how we value the product, and that we do not feel entitled to any content produced by the company. And since Bioware and EA are making stupid amounts of money off of this, obviously a lot of people agree with me. I know this makes things annoying for people like you, but you simply have to understand that Bioware and EA are doing only exactly what they are meant to do, and in fact HAVE to do: Make money.
I definetly don't think you're stupid for making the choice you are, I'm just trying to articulate why I'm making the choice I am (and work it out for myself too). The reason why I react so negatively to your choice is that it sort of renders my choice meaningless. The choice to boycott the product (or buy used or whatever) only matters if the loss of sales offsets the extra money they're making from your sale; it'll only work if enough people do it. Reading my original post again, I realise that I reacted a little too viscerally and described things too hyperbolically because of this. It probably won't lead to devs/pubishers selling all of the game, piece by piece; I don't think they're that brazen. It probably will boil down to me having to just wait longer for games so that the reduced costs offset the fact that I'll have to pay more for the DLC sections of the game, or I guess just miss out on those portions of the game, either of which I can live with (to be honest, I wouldn't have bought the game at release anyway, because I was very dissapointed in the first game). But I'll fight it because there's no reason for me to want it; I'm not getting some extra bonus in exchange for this, I'm just being charged more. Like you said: "Bioware and EA are doing only exactly what they are meant to do, and in fact HAVE to do: Make money." Well, I'm doing very much the same thing. We're both trying to get the best deal for ourselves, get the biggest value for the least cost.

Here's the other side of the point I was trying to make. Why do you feel it is that you are entitled to this piece of content the company decided it didn't want to sell you with the main game?
I still don't think it's about entitlement. It's about...precendent, I guess. We used to have a deal where they made a game and sold it to me. Now they're offering a new deal wherein they make a game and sell me most of it and then sell me the rest of it. I see no reason why I should take them up on that offer. I don't begrudge the fact that they tried to make that offer, but it's just a bad deal for me compared to what we were doing previously.

If you don't like this or its just plain too confusing or troublesome to your game experience, I totally understand that. I myself don't buy games with obtrusive DRM, even though I understand why they feel they need to do it, it just isn't worth it to me. But what I DON'T do is deride others for their choice. If they feel its worth the price, hey, good for them. There is a market for DRM-lite products, and I choose to support them with my wallet.
But what I'd realy, really like to avoid is a situation where people buy DRM infested products becuase that's just how games come, because people bought them in the first place for the convenience and companies realised they could sell games with it in. It doesn't look like that's happening (maybe. Hopefully. Please don't let me down, Ubisoft) but it requires enough people to refuse to agree to deal with companies that put DRM in their games.

P.S. I'd like to add your post was intelligent and well said, and I understand where you're coming from. And if obscurum's original post had been said in such a manner, I wouldn't have posted anything here in the first place.
Well, consider this, if obscurum's original post had been said in such a manner, then you wouldn't have posted anything and we wouldn't be having this conversation and my evening would have been less interesting, so it was worthwhile. Sort of.