The Ebert of Videogames

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
I think another worthwhile concern is that games tend to be much much longer than movies. I could watch ten movies in the time it takes me to play through Bioshock once. I think it takes a lot of time to really understand the nuances and depths of a lot of games.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I love it when you drop Campster's beautiful words and phrases, Shamus. It's less thievery, and more the spread of influenced intellect.

But, while we don't have that one singular voice that rings even for the luddites that don't share our medium, we do have several voices that are as well known among the interested as Ebert was for his. Yahtzee's harsh metaphors and dazzlingly decisive imagery are quite popular, and Gabe and Tycho (of Penny Arcade) speak with knowledge and impunity that inspires the collected throngs to either herald the newcome king of games or burn the false prophet inside a tomb of it's own failures. Extra Credits, while a bit more evangelical zealotry than advertisement, still endeavors to elevate gaming into the accepted and myriad ranks of it's parents in film, literature, and music. Errant Signal takes the more textbook approach to studying and trying to elevate the medium through classification, designations, and parlance, something that the nascency of film desperately needed and wasn't solidified until decades later.

In short, we may not have our Ebert yet, but the groundwork is being laid for one to come yet.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Does the gaming public want artsy ruminations and anecdote-driven analysis of intent and craft? Do people want to talk about kinesthetics, ludonarrative dissonance, narrative mechanics, gamification, and power creep?
Why yes, Mr. Young, I do read Rock Paper Shotgun. Why do you ask?

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
List of people who talk intelligently about video games.

- MrBtongue (Tasteful Understated Nerdrage)

- Chris Franklin AKA Campster (Errant Signal)

People who write intelligently about video games.

?????????? Shamus Young????? But he mostly rants about stupid plot doors, or plot armor.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Most people know who Spector is, but if you're too young to remember a world before Pokemon, then a little refresher: Wing Commander, Thief, System Shock, and Ultima. And if THOSE aren't familiar to you then I shudder to imagine what they're not teaching you in history class these days.
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10492-The-Ebert-of-Videogames?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all#YWXq5wrXmDzcZGxR.99
*cough* Deus Ex. *cough*

The Random One said:
Does the gaming public want artsy ruminations and anecdote-driven analysis of intent and craft? Do people want to talk about kinesthetics, ludonarrative dissonance, narrative mechanics, gamification, and power creep?
Why yes, Mr. Young, I do read Rock Paper Shotgun. Why do you ask?
RPS don't really do it all that much. They're good for having some perspective on all the Call of Duty-type bullshit and such but they're not all that academic about the medium.

Mick P. said:
Video games are nowhere near deserving a Roger Ebert. Slow down folks. If you compare video games to the timeline of cinema here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation) is where video games are at.
Different medium, different world. Trying to compare the progress of video games to the progress of cinema is like trying to fuck thin air. (Pointless.)

Having said that, just running with the idea that gaming will eventually "deserve" an Ebert, it's slightly paradoxical to claim that gaming is currently not "deserving" of its Ebert when Roger Ebert is often credited (at least in part) with legitimising film criticism - i.e. gaming would need to appear largely "undeserving" to have someone come along and make it "deserving".

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
We don't need an Ebert.
And by that I mean, we don't need someone telling us what can and cannot be art, art is subjective.

I shall decide what I think is art, I will then proceed to appreciate it.

I feel no need to justify my hobby with the words of another. I don't need recognition or legitimizing, because I'm having too much fun playing games to care.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
Well, Ebert may or may not have gotten hate mail. I have gotten nasty comments from reviewing games that I was not a FanBoi of on Amazon. Pretty silly overall.

Ebert is a great writer and I loved going back over some of his articles I missed or from before I first found his print work. He does explain many things, allows that there are other reasons to watch or enjoy a movie than his personal favorites. He doesn't dictate what you watch or how to enjoy it but he does broaden the experience for everyone.

Besides you, Yahtzee and Ben Kuchera there are very few in the industry that I am willing to read on a regular basis. If one of you aren't Ebert then at the very least the three of you are.

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
Smokescreen said:
I think you have a very different media landscape, too, and it's worth considering how long film existed as media before someone of Ebert's caliber came along--and how long Ebert WORKED for it.
I think that's the most important point. It isn't that games can't be an art form, whatever that is, it's that essentially we're still in the black and white silent film era. Okay maybe we're at the early talkie stage, but we still have a lot of miles to go before we're looked on as any sort of art form by the general public.

But that's another thing when you compare games to other modern art forms such as film. Games haven't really been as accessible as film nor has there been any sort of cultural progression like what proceeded film.
Let me explain what I mean. We started with radio which at first was pretty primitive but also had a low entrance cost. So low that you could actually build your own AM receiver, still can for that matter. Add to that the fact that the broadcasts were ad revenue sponsored and therefore free it's not surprising that listening to the radio became a national pastime. This in fact produced the social concept of people gathering together to listen to a popular radio program. Then films started to come on the scene, still a fairly low cost of ownership, while for the audience anyway. As well it was an extension of the radio's ability to bring groups of people together to be entertained. Then of course this all progressed to T.V. which was basically a free theater in your own home in a very similar form to radio.
There is a common theme running in each of these "art forms" they're all designed for passive consumption by large number of people at the same time for a relatively low cost, and there's been a logical progression from one type of media to the next.

Games are different, they're not passive, and even in a MMO they're not really designed with hundreds of players in mind, they have a high cost of ownership (even the so called free ones) when you consider both hardware and software, and lastly they're unlike anything that's come before. I guess you could say tabletop games were the forerunners to video games, but they were in the same sense that books and theater were the forerunners to our more modern entertainment forms. And consider the average market for tabletop games, compared to the one for books and the theater before radio became available.

Video games won't really reach a point where they would be considered a modern art form by most people till they penetrate our society to the point where anyone over the age of 14 doesn't feel somehow silly when they say they play. Where videogame competitions are seen as real serious contests by the general public instead of just games. Till that point is reached there just isn't enough general interest to sustain a public personality/critic like Ebert.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
We already have plenty of videogame Eberts. The problem is that they're being drowned out by everyone else with a Youtube account. Roger Ebert was mainly staying in the picture because of his pre-internet legacy.

We live in an age where media gets consumed by the bucket loads. By the time I finished writing this post I'll likely have watched 5 or so videos on Youtube. Red Letter Media made a good point in one of their reviews, that the more media options we get, the more everything will blur together, and the less anything special will stick out in our minds for very long.

wulfgar_red

Mar 15, 2013
There are few palaces that are above average:

MrBtongue
Bunnyhopshow
Errant Signal
Spoiler Warring/Diecast
Zero Punctuation
Extra Credits

IGNs, Gamspots, Gamestars, (...) those are just advertisements sites

Second World

Feb 9, 2012
I think it'd be quite grand if Extra Consideration was revived as a weekly segment and included some of the latest reviews and perhaps included escapists outside Yahtzee, MovieBob, and Jim Sterling as regulars. Perhaps the three and someone to add some technical insight?

I imagine that'd be close to Siskel & Ebert. I know Yahtzee must be rather popular and Jim Sterling has a certain nuance of spoken language that's instantly recognizable. Typing "zero" in a search engine often offers "zero punctuation" as one of the top three suggested searches, and it's not like he forcefully extends his sphere of influence like Ebert did.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extraconsideration/

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Mick P. said:
Watching little clips on the internet is a kind of devolution that you've just gotten used to. Like hunching over to stare into tiny screens that don't deliver content so much as you use them to hunt down little artifacts of content.
Off topic, but this. So much this. I love the additional choice that the internet has given me, and the freedom its given me to consume media on my own schedule instead of that of some network executive, but the thing is, there's no way to channel surf on Youtube, you know? Hulu kind of creates rudimentary channels based on shows you're already watching, but it's so close to totally random that it's not exactly an elegant solution. It's kind of annoying to have to be so active in choosing your flavor of a fundamentally passive medium, and with the reduced chances to stumble upon something randomly, you wind up missing out on a lot of great shows and movies, too.

As for getting a Roger Ebert of gaming: why would I ever want that? We have tons of them, they're called games as art hipsters and they annoy the crap out of me with there incessant attempts to "move the medium forward" by removing everything I love about it and replacing it with things better done in books and movies. I think I speak for everyone who was ever annoyed by an episode of Extra Credits when I say "screw that."

Kahani

May 25, 2011
albino boo said:
The truth here is that gaming is a minority thing
Not even close. The majority of people, in the West and Japan and Korea at least, are gamers.

I know that the budgets of AAA games have gone up massively but they are still smaller than your average summer blockbuster.
There are 16 films that have ever made over $1 billion. Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 2 both made that much in two weeks. And it's not just money. Sticking with Black Ops 2, over 10 million sales in its first month, and millions of people queuing up to buy for a midnight release. There's a reason it's described as the biggest entertainment launch ever - because it was bigger than any film has ever been. And obviously it's not just a couple of popular games that are like this. Wii Sports - over 80 million copies sold. Super Mario Bros, a game originally released in the 80s, has over 40 million copies sold. World of Warcraft is considered to be slipping because it's dropped below 10 million subscribers - not sales, but people who actually pay money every month to carry on playing. Farmville is currently in freefall, and has dropped all the way down to 13 million people playing it every single day. Angry Birds has been downloaded nearly 2 billion times.

Or forget about specific examples and simply look at the industry as a whole [http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_industry] (from 2008):

Video game industry in the US - $22 billion
Movie industry - $9.5 billion

If you throw in DVD sales as well then video games are still a bit behind, and up to date global figures seem a bit hard to come by. But the idea that video games are still some niche thing not worth the attention of the mainstream press is just ludicrous. Whether they've actually become the biggest sector of the entertainment industry or not, they're certainly very much up there with the big boys.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Oh, Shamus... didn't you already know? You're our Ebert.

Yeah, I was about to pull the Oz and say to Shamus that our Ebert was inside him all along.

All he needs is the confidence and some stability in his life. If you follow his site, you'd know that now, finally, that last part is a done deal.

Shamus, you can take thick programming vernacular and filter it for the layman. You have a really good thing going on with Spoiler Warning. All you need is to find a way to get some exposure.