The Ebert of Videogames

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
As for getting a Roger Ebert of gaming: why would I ever want that? We have tons of them, they're called games as art hipsters and they annoy the crap out of me with there incessant attempts to "move the medium forward" by removing everything I love about it and replacing it with things better done in books and movies. I think I speak for everyone who was ever annoyed by an episode of Extra Credits when I say "screw that."
You've got that incredibly, bizarrely backwards. The Extra Credits crowd is consistently on the side of mechanics and narrative through gameplay; it's the big publishers who are trying to push "cinematic" gameplay which amounts to trying to replace meaningful interaction with scripted sequences and cinematic.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
As for getting a Roger Ebert of gaming: why would I ever want that? We have tons of them, they're called games as art hipsters and they annoy the crap out of me with there incessant attempts to "move the medium forward" by removing everything I love about it and replacing it with things better done in books and movies. I think I speak for everyone who was ever annoyed by an episode of Extra Credits when I say "screw that."
You've got that incredibly, bizarrely backwards. The Extra Credits crowd is consistently on the side of mechanics and narrative through gameplay; it's the big publishers who are trying to push "cinematic" gameplay which amounts to trying to replace meaningful interaction with scripted sequences and cinematic.
Yet they gush about things like Dear Esther, which is nothing but a movie in which the player controls the camera -- meaning it's a poorly directed movie. And they occasionally pay lip service to the idea that it's okay for pure gameplay games to coexist with their arty farty crap, but they then proceed to spend the entire rest of the video talking about how horrible games that focus on the gameplay are, and how they need to focus more on the art. The only thing more obnoxious than the videos themselves were the rabid fans we had around here when the show was still on this site, who typically didn't even bother with the lip service in their quest to "move the medium forward."

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I do watch Zero Punctuation reviews of games I probably would never play in a million billion million years and would likely run screaming from the room if I found myself playing any of them. But is Yahtzee that much of a critic? Is he communicating structure and craft to the masses the way Ebert did? Come to think of it, did Ebert really communicate craft to the masses regarding film, or did people just read his column to see him write the word "hated" ten times?